Leaf Problem With Ortega Grow

o2b

Hi,

I started an Oertega grow fast on the heels of a Medicine Man grow and I have a leaf issue. I am in vegetative and it has been ~3 weeks. Plants look pretty good until this leaf thing which at the present time is not catastrophic, but of course I want to nip all problems in the bud as soon as possible.

Now, I have had no success uploading pic's and so I am posting this and will try to upload a pic in an ensuing reply. Worst case, I will not be able to post and will describe what problem leaves look like.

o2

file upload once again fails

Man, upload failed. I have had the following notice for MONTHS!!!

Please do not upload any attachment in the forum within the next 2days. Thank you for your cooperation.

Might that be the problem? The file I tried to upload is a pdf that is 10x7.55 cm and the file size is 134 kb.

I don't think I am allowed to upload any files.:mad:

All right, description of leaves. Some lower leaves with speckling where the color of the speckles are a rusty orange/yellowish. By the way, I did check a leaf diagram and was unable to find my leaf discoloration type.

Well, if anyone can lend a hand, I would must appreciate it.

Tony (o2)

Could be a pest issue. Also could be over/under fertilizing though. Look really close at the under side of the leaves see if you can find any signs of spider mites. And what kind of nutrients are you using?

Really hard telling with no pictures though.

Tony host your pics on another site (postimg.org or photobucket or something) and then copy and paste them into this thread.

We'll all just be guessing in the dark without a pic.

Sorry to hear you're having more trouble. I was really hoping this round would go smoothly for you bro!!

Stay hazed,
Jake

Hey bluntmassa and blowingupjake,

File upload fails from the link you suggested Jake.

But, can you see it from this link?

Let me know!

Oh, I don't see any insects. I am 99% sure it is too much or too little of a specific nutrition and a correct diagnosis will solve my problems.

https://s9.postimg.org/vnlet1xq7/leaf_problem_2.jpg

Thanks,

o2

Hey, thanks east_coast!

I am actually having lights on for 21 hours and off for 3 and a couple times I did water the leaves. So that is VERY possible.

In fact, I did notice some moisture still on leaves after lights came back on.

I guess one never wants to water the leaves?

Thanks again!

Tony (o2)

I did a test thread on Ortega when it was released and took plenty of images. Maybe it'll help you describe the problem you are encountering I found Ortega to be a great outdoor plant up here in Wales
JKP

I did a test thread on Ortega when it was released and took plenty of images. Maybe it'll help you describe the problem you are encountering I found Ortega to be a great outdoor plant up here in Wales
JKP
P.s the link shows image of leaf scorch or waterspray. Stop spraying, lift light a tad and keep humidity below 50%:)

Hi,

Well, I have another issue.

My plants are really tiny!!!

Now, I had to switch to flowering earlier than I wanted so as to be done before I need to travel. I am looking at mid-November time frame for harvest.

One plant is like one foot tall from lowest leaves to the top! Others are not much bigger!

Now I am wondering about two things.

One is my reused coco. I think I went thru it pretty good and I am using Cannazyme, but still I wonder if the presence of root matter from a past grow is a factor.

The other thing is when I transplanted the plants. They were in 3 gallon smart pots and I switched them over to 5 gallon. In so doing, I am sure I sheered off some roots in my efforts to extricate them from the 3 gallon pots. (Next time, I think I will start with 2 gallon plastic or ceramic pots so that I can transfer the entirety of the plant + the grow medium.)

Any suggestions as to what I can do to get these plants to get bigger???

Tony (o2b)

more problems

Man, it sucks when you realize you are a shitty grower - oh well.

Last thing I did with my four quite tiny Ortega girls was a flush as it seemed to me I provided too much nutrition. Since that flush, the leaves have gotten worse.

So, just wondering about cause. My guess is my coco medium which is a reuse, being a small amount where this is their third grow and the rest at grow #2.

Anyway, here are two links for photos.

https://s22.postimg.org/djbq9jrxd/leaves_102142016_1.jpg

https://s10.postimg.org/58qdkr5eh/leaves_102142016_2.jpg

Well, that is it for now.:eek:

Tony (o2)

Tony you are not a shitty grower.

Coco can be very unforgiving.

When you flush are you checking tbe pH coming out?

Seems like it's totally locked out... I know Coco can become very acidic with time..

Thanks, Jake, my friend,

And now I have to leave for my shitty job - haha!

Should I flush one plant sufficient to have fluid leave the pot and pH test it?

Anyway, off for work!

Thanks again!

Tony

Thanks, Jake, my friend,

And now I have to leave for my shitty job - haha!

Should I flush one plant sufficient to have fluid leave the pot and pH test it?

Anyway, off for work!

Thanks again!

Tony

You seem depressed today brother!

Yes, I would mix a very light nutrient solution. pH it to what you like (5.8 or whatever) then dump it through. Very slowly. Repeat until you get a good runoff flow. pH the water coming out of the bottom and you will know what's up....

Run off pH:
5.8 great- coir is where you want it and something else is the problem.

Above 5.8- coir is to basic. Water in LOWER PH water until runoff is as desired.

Below 5.8- coir is too acidic. Water in with HIGHER pH until runoff is as desired.

It will take quite a bit of water to get the Coco back to thr range you need...

Professor, anyone else got any ideas for our friend here?

Hi guys, I think the advice that jake has provided is solid and is exactly what I would do. I must first mention that I reuse my media many times but I use rockwool and have limited experience with coco. Looking at the pictures it looks like nutrient imbalance due to salt built up to me. When reusing the media there are a few things you need to keep in mind. Make sure you have flushed the hell out of the media with ph adjusted solution before treating with enzymes. Coco tends to bind the nutrients in the media more than rockwool so you need to keep flushing and checking the ec and ph untill what comes out is the same as what is going in. If you dont do this you can create quite an unbalance in the media. Guys that I know that reuse coco limit there reuse to two times. As coco is reused it becomes finer holding more water and less oxygen couple this to decomposing roots and you can create a very acidic root zone. Like Jake has already said coco becomes acidic in time I would guess partially due to this effect. When reusing rockwool it too becomes finer so to couteract this an amendment such as perlite needs to be added to open up and oxygenate the media or pu foam as in mapito. Watering intervals should be opened up enough so that the media is allowed to depleat more in moisture to allow oxygen to the roots. This prevents the root zone becoming too acidic as when rockwool dries it becomes more alkaline counteracting this phenomena. It is going to be a balacing act to get things sorted but I think its do-able. So in recap, flush media with low ec and adjusted ph so that what is coming out is low ec and the correct ph you wish to run adjusting your input as Jake has explained. Once you are happy with the flush..Then apply a nutrient solution at 3/4 strength and leave hopefully you will have turned a corner. Before the next watering/feeding allow the pots to dry out (but still slightly moist) before resuming normal full strength feeding. Hopefully things will start coming good.

I added weak nutrient with a pH of 5.8.

OK, measured exit pH is around 6.8-7. Realizing the medium is still saturated with what was just added, I lowered the nutrient pH to 5.0. Measured exit pH was 7.

Man, this is a bit rough. I realize the impact of getting a value dependent on previous nutrient adds. Just added more nutrient (at 5.0). pH came out at 7.0.

This seems a bit inexact, to my mind due to retention of previous fluid and perhaps stubbornness of the medium.

I am afraid to go too low, but I think I will lightly feed at pH = ~4.7 where I add enough nutrient to induce exit flow and always measure that pH.

Does that sound OK?

Quick question. Would always adding that much nutrient (enough to cause exit flow which I take to mean cose to doing a flush) bad for the plant?

Thanks!

Tony

Hey o2b, whenever you water in a soiless media you should be aiming for a minimum runoff of 10%. I recirculate and aim for 20%. This ensures a good exchange occurs in the root zone where all spent soution around the roors is replaced with fresh balanced nutrient. I am starting to form an impression that you water to only make the media moist. This would be fine in a soul based system but will result in a build up of unwanted salts in the root zone.
In the case u have put to us I would have a guess that it is because of this watering style you have quite a build up and will need to keep flushing to get your levels back on track. I understand your concern about leaving the media too moist but unfortunately with the way things are you have no other choice. You need to flush that crap out use 5.5ph untill you see it starting to fall. In the 4's is a bit low.

Hi professorjj,

OK, will do.

I actually water more than what you thought, but also not always sufficient to have that runoff. Regardless, it sounds like your sense of my situation is pretty much spot on.

Will do exactly as you suggest. pH of 5.5 where I always have a fair amount of runoff and I'll measure runoff every time.

Thanks, professor,

Tony

Back