keeping males around!!

shogirl

I am finding that It's hard for me to keep the males continueing to mature for pollen as the less light slows everything down and even look like they may be slowly dying. I have heard it mentioned that they don't need much light to keep alive but doesn't seem to be working for me. I would have to set up a separate lighting system if I want a decent amount of pollen to stay viable until the females are ready enough. Any help and suggestions on keeping these possible parents alive long enough for pollen and clones.4 weeks out of growroom and still no growth a slow pollen production!!!.Thanks SHogirl

Hey shogirl!

Yep we made it through hehehe

Regarding males and pollen production well with low lighting the growth rates drop and its normal for the plants to not respond well after few weeks if the lighting is inadequate.

I would suggest you set up a Pollen room for the males (no fans etc) and get a couple of CFL lights and put em very close to the plants. They dont really need that much light but Id suggest you use at least 2 or better 3 x 20w fluros per plant if you want to have some descent production and keep the plants alive and healthy with good growth rates. Or get a 125/200w CFL and put all males under it if you have more than one.

I know its more work having a separate room just for males but I believe its worth it if you are into breeding and want to have full control. Dont forget you can always store pollen and collect again after 10 days or so when more male flowers have opened if the production is limited but I d prefer to use pollen straight from the male plant onto the female without storing it.One tip on pollen collection , try to have the lowest possible humidity when you collect it.

L33t

thanks l33t for a reply on this. It also may be to the light cycles have been mixed up not as constant as in the gr and may have screwed them up as looks like 2 are dying. I didn't have a constant 12/12 for the males and see my mistake so have to get another good timer as have gone through 4 already. most cheap timers are cheap timers lol Sg

thanks l33t for a reply on this. It also may be to the light cycles have been mixed up not as constant as in the gr and may have screwed them up as looks like 2 are dying. I didn't have a constant 12/12 for the males and see my mistake so have to get another good timer as have gone through 4 already. most cheap timers are cheap timers lol Sg

Hi shogirl
although I dont really think its the light regime (not being constant)causing them to die, get a timer just in case and definitely put em under stronger/more light . Repot if necessary , as it usually triggers the plants to start growing again. And remember the more sat dominant the plants are, the more easily they can get f*cked up when the light goes over 12 hrs.

I put my males in a sunny lounge where i live and they do really well, but only for the summer period that is,

In the winter time i put them in a grow chamber under fluroesent lites, tip them and just take what pollen i think il need before there in full flower and then biff em out,

a small sized gro tent would do me just nicely for this purpose.

The tips look dried out and dark,so looks like a bit of frost hit them from a draft blowing on him,possibly along with poor lite. I have a set up for them alright but loafed out taking a little more care with the bastards lol sorry just kidding lol shogirl.. p.s. you would not believe the freezing weather. Funny when it looks like the artic outside and the tropics inside. Just have to watch were the friggin cold drafts are. Comon summer:cool: sg I am setting up a nice warm clone box for cloning out of the gr in the winter as need heat 24/7 for cloning. I will clone these males and keep them for a backcross next year along with lots of filial crosses. I have tried once before to pollinate and didn't take and hopefully I learned what I did wrong and get a little sucess at it this time.

Last edited:
I need pollen!!!

An update: the males ain't doing there thing. my best guy thai is in the best of shape but all stopped maturing and I can't get enough pollen ffs !! So I guess next thing is to repot. Anyway can I dry out the most mature sacs and use the pollen that way? Thanks Shogirl

take a cutting just make sure you lable them:eek: i took a batch of male cuttings last grow i dont know what happend??? 1/3 of the flower room had balls growing after 3weeks what a waste of $pace

my thai guy

I have taken 3 cuttings of the thai male to keep. this is a new one for me so I believe now to keep him in veg until it overgrows and keep taking a clone from him to continue his genes in future pollination if his progeny show some good traits with a choice of 3 females to foul around with hehehe.Shogirl

I have 1 Bubblegum male and it is costing me a lot for it to get roots. I want it to pollinate my 60 days SSH.

The male is really bushy, have really nice root system, and wide leaves. I still need to test it but I hope it can grow roots (the SSH just throws roots almost in 1 day)

Hi joaquin386,

Whenever i had problems with clones from particular plants not rooting i've use the aerocloner ;)

It's cheap to build and tremendously effective.

Hi Mushroomagicman,

The aerocloner principle is very simple.

For building it you need:

• One sealed plastic container (the size depends on the number of clones you want to root)
• One air pump
• One or two airstones like the ones used for aquariums
• Some plastic tube for the air stones

You pick the sealed plastic container and on top of it make some holes about 1/1.5 cm long (enough for putting the clone steam and not damaging the roots once removing it, one hole for each clone). Also, you make one or two small holes for the plastic tube who will supply the air stones with air. Fill the plastic container with water, enough to cover most of the steams of the clones you want to root, place the airstones inside connected to the air pump (using the plastic tube), connect the air pump and it’s ready to use. The air bubbles hitting the steams will stimulate rooting and you will have roots in the most stubborn rooters generally in less than a week. Let the clones develop some nice roots before transplanting to soil or hydro containers. Ideally PH should be between 5.6 to 5.8 although I’ve used 7.0 with good results as well.

First I’ve built the aerocloner because of Blueberry, but once I’ve noticed it was being used for almost all my strains. They root so easy you don’t even need to use rooting hormones :)

Back