keeping buds on the shelf for a few years?

I was looking @ putting an oz of my cured recent "cbd crew outdoor mix" grow in the freezer for use when i need it (at least 8 months) but have heard freezing it causes the trichomes/crystals to snap off. From the sounds of things, it should be just fine! can anyone confirm if putting buds in the freezer (in there cured jar) will actually have any affect on the trichs snapping off??.. Otherwise im thinking of putting it in my beer keg fridge (controlled temp variation of 0-10 celcius)

I didn't do it in a jar but I put a bag of weed in my freezer and forgot all about it for 1-2 months and it had an awful taste and smell so I gave it away. a jar might work better but I wouldn't risk it not for 8 months that should be ok left in a cool dark place.

hello,

i can vouch for the permeability of plastics from making homebrew beer; they let oxygen in and co2 out! ...eventually.

you can keep beer in glass indefinitely as far as i know; it's non permeable and retains the co2.

filling empty little glass stubbies with dry cannabis and then sealing with a cap to be put in the freezer might be an idea for long term storage ?.

quite inexpensive too (...provided you are not tee-total).

regards,

hello,

i can vouch for the permeability of plastics from making homebrew beer; they let oxygen in and co2 out! ...eventually.

you can keep beer in glass indefinitely as far as i know; it's non permeable and retains the co2.

filling empty little glass stubbies with dry cannabis and then sealing with a cap to be put in the freezer might be an idea for long term storage ?.

quite inexpensive too (...provided you are not tee-total).

regards,
Another home brewer! nice work on that theory. Non pasturized home brewed beer ftw! (all grain is defo my favorite but takes so long to make, and can be a little on the head, all that mash! ) I may just have to make a comparison of sum self capped bottled buds vs my mason jars for long term storage. . Still not sure if I personally feel comfortable with the freezer so may just stick to low temp beer fridge storage..

hehe, i have only gone as far as extract and i think that's were i will be staying! (not got the money or aptitude to progress), i also use quite a bit more dextrose then some would advise (anything up to 20%) and usually always use US-05 too.

i was thinking, cannabis filled stubbies (in green/brown glass) would also be rather discrete as well as providing a good environment for storage, the only drawback would surely be (depending on how tightly they were filled etc), getting it back out!.

i am sure popping them open when required would be quite satisfying too.

hehe, i have only gone as far as extract and i think that's were i will be staying! (not got the money or aptitude to progress), i also use quite a bit more dextrose then some would advise (anything up to 20%) and usually always use US-05 too.

i was thinking, cannabis filled stubbies (in green/brown glass) would also be rather discrete as well as providing a good environment for storage, the only drawback would surely be (depending on how tightly they were filled etc), getting it back out!.

i am sure popping them open when required would be quite satisfying too.

Haha, good work on the extra dextrose ;) whenever i make alcoholic ginger beer (this one in particular, i brew @ my quality local micro brewery) i always up the dex to 6 litres rather then 5, and let it ferment for atleast 2 months, turns out usually around 5.8 %, which is great for winter :) But yeah, i don't blame you on sticking to extract, that's all i've been doing for the past few months, all grain is too tedious, and if u miss any of the fine print, the beer comes out average!

Also the curing in beer bottles idea, i reckon, is probably not gonna be 2 hard with the bottling of just the smaller nugs that will fit in there, therefore getting satisfaction of not only popping the top but also the out poor of lil cured nugs :p

Hello everyone.
I love to grow cannabis, and do it for myself only. I am a very light smoker (I don’t even toke every month, but truly enjoy it when I do) and so an oz of bud could conceivably last me a couple of YEARS, especially if I have other varieties. So my question is about shelf life.

I have a harvest of some wonderful indica (Schnazzleberry #2) that has surpassed my expectations in every way. I have an oz or so, and want to preserve it.
I prefer sativas, and have a beautiful crop of MH, SSH, and La Nina in week 5 of flower. When these plants come in, there will be more bud than I can get through for years to come, and I don’t really have any friends who smoke. It is just me! How long will my buds stay smokeable?

I will dry and cure them properly, keep them in the dark in mason jars, in a cool place. What can I expect? I know sativas last at least a year, because I have some SSH that is as fresh today as it was last year at this time when I got it. But what about 2-3 years?

Does anyone have any experience keeping buds for the long haul?

hi vajra was just wondering how you got on being as its now 2 years later. Did you finish it pal lol.

shelf life

I just smoked some old bud that was stored not in jars but doublewrapped in plastic(not recommended) it was at least 5 years old. Still did the job, somewhat weaker than originally of course, tasted different as well naturally . If you have a freezer alot of smokers freeze it as well, this keeps the stuff fresher, be aware though that it also makes the trichs drop, so you wind up with alot of polm in the bottom. Hashmakers do this regularly-freezing that is. I use jars now and assume a sealed jar should keep it fresh for years, maybe others here have some experience with long term storage. Mine usually only lasts a year at the outmost before being replaced by fresh. Good luck!!

I had found some weed that had been jarred up for several years while moving. It still had flavor and aroma but it seemed it had lost a lot of its punch. Is it true that THC starts to degrade after a certain amount of time no matter how it is stored?

Sorry if this has been asked, but can anyone vouch for storing cannabis in cured jars in a temperature controlled (or standard) fridge for afew months storage??.. (3-6 months max)

Re:

I once stashed some good bud on top of a china cabinet over a light fixture in a plastic bag. So it was stored in all the wrong ways. Warm environment, exposed to light. Like a true stoner I forgot about it and found it while cleaning 4 or 5 years later. Shit was bone dry but still got you ripped when smoked! In some ways the high seemed even better, more smooth or something. So I suppose if you store it with more care, in class jars in the dark, it will keep for quite a long time. Years. I've sometimes fantasized of burying weed time capsules in different places lol.

Back