Jake gets overwhelmed. Come watch.

blowingupjake

Mothership Connection
Hello MNS family!

EDIT: 90% of pics are gone 🙁
I am back in action.

I have decided to partner up with a good friend of mine and will be inheriting lots of new era genetics from him!

Here's the list for now:
Cuts I will be taking tonight-(going into plugs tonight)
Ghost Train Haze
Presidential OG
Sour Diesel
"White Widow"

Established clones I'll be taking off his hands tonight-
Gorilla Glue #4
Alien Rock Candy{NEVERMIND- THIS IS ALSO GG#4 edit date 11/8/2016}
Lemon Skunk(runt he's afraid will die)

I still have my Koala Berry mum as well which will be flowered off very soon to be replaced with a new clone.

The plan is to run through all of these to select the best of the group and keep in each of our grows with me being the holder of the lines. He does not have the space to keep veg and flower groups so I will be controlling the genetics after tonight.

I will plant some Mr Nice varieties as well to do a bit of hunting from the lines I'm most excited about (Z6, La Nina, Angel Breath, Master Kush Skunk) but these will have to be staggered as I don't have endless room.

Veg will be T5(4 x 54w)
600w MH
Floor fans.

Flower is my same old 2x 1000w HPS. Window shaker A/C, floor fans and carbon filter extracted into my homes duct work.

The soil is lightly amended Happy Frog. Additional nutrient will come via bottled "organic" nutrients from age old organics and botanicare along with guano teas every once in a while.
I will be using Azamax and Neem Oil in an integrated pest management routine.

All cloning will be done in a tray with a dome, root riot plugs and a heat mat. Simple and comfortable for me.

This was not my plan originally but when he presented the idea I decided what the heck, let's do it. He swears that all these cuts are A grade... I hope he's right! I don't intend to waste too much time if they aren't killer cuts... I've got 100's of Mr Nice beans I'm waiting to pop.

I'm hoping to put some evidence on this forum that Mr Nice really can compete with the new era hybrids... I will always have one MNS variety in the mix to show compared to these hip new school genetics (which all probably came from old MNS or GHS lines anyway :p)

Come one, come all. Any feedback, criticism or tomfoolery is welcome.

As always-
Stay hazed,
Jake

Last edited:
Subscribed!

And jealous. I want GG#4 so bad, I've sample some finished stuff, but can't find a cut I trust. U.S. cuts cost a fortune here. Most of it I can go without, GG#4 and OGKB2.0 though, I want those bad.

Alien Rock Candy?...the legit from Kind Love cut? If so I'm now much more than jealous. That thing is supposed to get up to 32% right?

Awesome score man. Good luck with your new cuts, I know a lot of people like to say it's all derived from the same lines and the new stuff is over hyped pollen chuckery or lucky bean finding, but, mustangs and racehorses are both horses. Mustangs don't win the Kentucky Derby and throuroughbreds wouldnt last too long in the wild. Draft horses have no damn business in either arena. There's space for many types of horse to exist even in a time when we mostly use machinery, it doesn't have to be any different with cannabis, we can embrace both. The crap in all categories will get ignored and die off eventually.

Now where's the button for adding subliminal messages? I want the message to say something about selfing the new cuts as well as that Chlamydia Berry pheno of walkabout.

Cheers,

Hunglikeafruitbat.

Hello!

Thanks you guys for stopping in.

Thank you for the well wishes Skunkha. I'm thinking La Nina is going to be my first seeds in the dirt in this new era. I hope for a Haze pheno that will provide that "zing" we crave!

Musashi my man, As usual you are correct. What can I say, I'm a pushover. For the record- I've been after Gorilla Glue and Ghost Train Haze for quite a while... so persuading me wasn't too difficult.

Crazy Bat Bastard-
Almost all of these cuts are confirmed, including the Alien Rock Candy! I'm super duper excited to see if I can find the source of all the hub-bub. I have never tried the ARC but I have heard nothing but rave reviews so I will be paying that gal extra attention. The fact that its actually from the best source is extremely exciting.

I can't promise you I'll self anything, It's on my mind, but no guarantee. Lol.
You come down this way, I'll set you up!

Okay:

Here's a run down of the sources of these cuts for anyone in CO who may be interested or searching as well:

Kind Love:

Ghost Train Haze

Strawberry Fields(CO SPRINGS):
Presidential OG
Lemon Skunk

Cuts from the community/other private growers:
Sour Diesel
White Widow
Gorilla Glue #4

Disclaimer: my camera SUCKS. I'm working on a solution...
Picture time my friends:

Sad, Sickly, Recovering Koala Berry Mum:

Clones in decent shape:

Left to Right- Gorilla Glue, Lemon Skunk, Alien Rock Candy:

Cuttings:
Left to Right: 2 Sour Diesel, top Widow, bottom Ghost Train Haze, Center right Presidential OG

I am banking on my recent history of 100% success with that cloning set-up. The plants these were cut from are going into flower next week so I do have a bit of time if something looks like its not going to root.

Thanks for the Sub fellas, I hope everyone can see the Pictures!

Stay Hazed,
Jake:D

Last edited:
Howdy everyone. Quick update for the purpose of keeping dates for my journal, which this thread is going to replace.

New additions:

Partner decided to go for Girl Scout Cookies Forum Cut.

So--- I decided it was time for something I really want to add to our group:
4 La Nina seeds hit the dirt! Planted in half perlite half Happy Frog and placed on a heat mat.

Other notes:

Cuttings looking droopy. Discovered that dome is now slightly warped and not sitting flush on the tray. A little duct tape should seal it up for these crucial first few days. (Duct tape in first photo was for use in transit and was replaced)

I swung by the grow store and scored a new pest product and a new pm/mold product to add to my IPM program.

It's called 420 Pest Bully. Dude at the grow store says it's killing spotted mites in his garden when nothing else will this summer.

The mildew/mold is something of similar name and same company. It was free.

I sprayed all plants with a 1/2 strength dose of pest bully. I will report on any issues/benefits I see.

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend!

Stay hazed,
Jake

Last edited:
Back to your OP, Jake, you said that the new school cuts probably had their ancestral origin from MNS or GHS.

MNS for sure but GHS? I like Arjan, and have had discussion with him about legalization strategies. There was one strain they made which was decent (a Haze, and I forget the name right now), but nobody looks to GHS as a fount of genetics (despite their far-flung excursions all over the world).

I would love if someone whether GHS, MNS or anyone else to find superior (therapeutic) genetic material which will augment what we have now. I am hopeful but increasingly doubtful that any new sources will add much significance.

Historically, the incident which benefited the community the most, was Dave needing money and selling some seeds to Nevil. If Dave would have germinated those he probably would have culled the males, not Nevil who recognized half of the equation.

I accept Shanti's terminology "haze" for La Nina as a component. The various MM by all accounts was truly legendary. From my experience the "candied ginger" phenotype is the target. Another pheno of LN has the resin of BW and the effect also. Some prefer this pheno as it really yields.

For me to keep the size of plants manageable am turning to smaller containers to restrict the roots. You may want to employ this strategy with LN as the lanky ones sometimes turn golden and they will need the space to finish when they do finally flower.

Howdy Skunkha!

Let me explain what I meant; I believe that GHS was reputable and putting out good genetics back when it was the original team- Shanti breeding and Arjan marketing/running shops... I think that some of the cuts that circulate today could have roots to those days of GHS.

I also believe that a lot of the credit for EVERYTHING going is due to Neville. There is plenty of evidence here and across the web to support that notion! As far as David Watson, I can definitely appreciate his place in the history books. It's amazing to think how it has all transitioned into this current reality where fantastic cannabis can be found all around and can be grown using guides available to ANYONE on the internet. It's pretty damn awesome.

We're on the same page, Skunky my man.

Thank you for the tips on La Nina. Can you expand on the Candied Ginger Pheno? Is she a more Sativa variety? Lower resin production than the BW leaning phenotype(s)?

I am curious, did you ever LST or Top the La Nina in an effort to control overall size?

I am hesitant to use small pots as I tend to have issues with nute deficiency/ lockout when I run in small containers.

Stay hazed,
Jake

Hey Jake,

just wanted to wish you all the best for your partnership and future grows. I know you are a great grower and I'm sure there will be some great candy's coming.

I'm currently filling out my stock and got some very good offers. Now after reading your future plans, I tend to start with the sister. I'm too busy to write growlogs in the near future, but I think I could add some Pictures of my selection here if you are ok with it. The intercontinental grow fun.

Wow, candied ginger sounds like the stuff I am looking for :)

The smaller bud versions seem to burst in flavors and effect, is what i can say. The big yielding ones haven't disappointed but couldn't compare to the hazy one i found in the "Shit" which is strong fruity and hashy with a long lasting cerebral high with a nice indica stone coming just at the end wanting you to take a little rest. After I slept an hour I felt like reborn and ready for the next adventure. :D

good vibes to everyone.

Hey Jake,

just wanted to wish you all the best for your partnership and future grows. I know you are a great grower and I'm sure there will be some great candy's coming.

I'm currently filling out my stock and got some very good offers. Now after reading your future plans, I tend to start with the sister. I'm too busy to write growlogs in the near future, but I think I could add some Pictures of my selection here if you are ok with it. The intercontinental grow fun.

Wow, candied ginger sounds like the stuff I am looking for :)

The smaller bud versions seem to burst in flavors and effect, is what i can say. The big yielding ones haven't disappointed but couldn't compare to the hazy one i found in the "Shit" which is strong fruity and hashy with a long lasting cerebral high with a nice indica stone coming just at the end wanting you to take a little rest. After I slept an hour I felt like reborn and ready for the next adventure. :D

good vibes to everyone.

Hello Thierry,
Thanks so much for the well wishes.

Of course you can post pictures in this thread, I'd be happy to see them!

What's on tap for your current/next grow?

Good to see you on the boards bro.

Stay hazed,
Jake

All I meant to say about the other keepers (or not) is that not all the pretty faces are the best girls.

The mere presence of a closely packed resin field does not guarantee the very best pheno. The resin needs to have specific traits not only be present in large amounts (for my tastes at least).

Yes, more thinner the leaves. :D

I seriously suspect many of these new varieties that are resin bombs just may have their origins from La Nina or BW.

For grows I recommend bagged CoCo and CoCo specific nutes (minus additives except certain few). Costs more but frees time which is a form of 'cost.' :)

How profound- the girls with the prettiest faces are not necessarily the best. I can dig it man.

I would not doubt your assertion that LN/BW may be lurking in the genetic background of some of the better new hybrids. All I can hope is that the La Nina rewards me out of this first very small selection. I'll be happy to grow any females out of this first group of 4...

Ah, Coco. I've been down that road. It's a great alternative to soil and is a cousin of hydro in my mind. I do like growing in soil though. Its definitely what I'm used to and at this point I am not prepared to change up my medium or nutrient regiment. I'll have plenty of other variables with all the variety living in my garden. If you know what I mean!

Thanks for contributing to the thread Skunkha, it's great to have you tagging along.

Stay hazed,
Jake

...For me to keep the size of plants manageable am turning to smaller containers to restrict the roots...
I have found 3 gal. containers work pretty well for LN. A good size for indoor considering the growth spurt these ladies often exhibit. Coco/compost works well. Soil works even better. But I mix them and get good results with this variety. Keep those LN males if you can. They can be important contributors. Aloha M

I have found 3 gal. containers work pretty well for LN. A good size for indoor considering the growth spurt these ladies often exhibit. Coco/compost works well. Soil works even better. But I mix them and get good results with this variety. Keep those LN males if you can. They can be important contributors. Aloha M

Sweet, 3 gallons I can manage. I've grown long flowering girls in those buckets before.

You guys are getting me jazzed up over here.

The 4 La Nina haven't popped yet. I haven't been so anxious looking at seed starter pots since my first couple of grows. I feel the love for the hobby getting stronger......

Or maybe it's too much Stella Fuel in my lungs.

Stay hazed,
Jake

Hi Mr Jake, Im looking forward to seeing what you come up with. An intriguing mix of genetics I must say. Best of luck brother.

Hey Jake,

current grow is a CM selection, trying to sort things up a little bit. Got an Encyclopedia of wild plants looking for goodness and I'm very interested in the extracting thing, so I have built a small distillery.

Next strains will be LN, and a few Hazes for potential ingredients such as MHz, NHz AFHz. I'm not too sure what I'm looking for exactly, but I have a feeling I will find it.

Also I want to do a bigger CBD selection going for the z6 or z7 next year.

CBD hasn't appeared in the Heads of "modern" Europeans yet and some are struggling to overcome old indoctrination, but as soon as they will feel the cbd they will understand. My guess.

I'm looking for healing substances in a poisoned World. I think combining and fermenting the right ones together, will bring big progress.

Hi Musahi and skunkha, got a lot out of your input, as Im currently in finding the best selfmixed soil CoCo will definitely play a bigger role. I found roots very happy in CoCo when i tried it.

I am also selecting in smaller Pots, using 1 Gal smartpots and I hadn't have the feeling of missing much in the plants spectrum. In comparison to bigger pots it was just harder to keep happy, as Heat of 36°C almost burnt them to death because I forgot to water one day. Mycorrhiza was the only reason they didn't and were able to bounce back. Maybe one of the greater tips for anybody who is facing unbreakable heat problems. Symbiosis is strong in nature.

So long friends,

Thierry

all the best none the less

Ah, Coco. I've been down that road. It's a great alternative to soil and is a cousin of hydro in my mind. I do like growing in soil though. Its definitely what I'm used to and at this point I am not prepared to change up my medium or nutrient regiment. I'll have plenty of other variables with all the variety living in my garden. If you know what I mean!

Thanks for contributing to the thread Skunkha, it's great to have you tagging along.

Stay hazed,
Jake

hope you get what you're lookin fer with those LNs.

Hello everyone!

Howdy Professor,
It is indeed an intriguing mix. I hope some of them live up to the hype. I'm stoked to have GG#4.... But I'm even more stoked to be running LN.
Thank you for the luck. I think I'll need it with this project.

Thierry, good to see ya,
Let's hear more about your distillery!! Extract artists are very patient people. I commend you.

Your Haze line up is excellent. You're going to have a nice, long running, garden. How do you like the CM?

I'm planning to run the Z6 in limited numbers as part of this very broad search ... I'll be sure to give lots of details. I imagine CBD is making its way to the public very soon over there, hopefully by your hand!

Good luck.

Skunkha, thanks man. I've got a great feeling.... Stay tuned.

Thank you gentlemen for contributing to this thread!

New business:

One La Nina is completely above soil and trying to shed it's helmet! Very quick little rascal. One more is breaking through as I type this. The other two still haven't showed... But time is on their side.

The Girl Scout Cookies arrived and is settling in nicely.

I sprayed everyone with Azamax tonight. About 4ml to a 32oz spray bottle. I see no ill effects from the Pest Bully and absolutely no sign of bugs so I will be integrating it into the normal maintenance program.

Last note, the veg area is about to get busy. I will be pulling down the T5 and setting the 600w MH now that summer temperatures are gone and I will need more light moving forward.

I will set the T5 up somewhere else and use it as a seedling/ young clone light if I can... I'll have to see how much juice I've got left in my two circuits.

Thanks again for tuning in.

Stay Hazed,
Jake

Hi there Bro :D

Nice progress.

One quick thing I wanted to throw in:
Did you remember the age old advice of quarantining the clones you received?

Just popped into my head when reading this because I just had the root aphid infestation on my first grow because I brought in vegetables in generic garden soil which was infested with root aphids.

When this happened I vowed to really take the whole "isolate whatever you get from outside before introducing it into your garden" reaaaaal serious :D

Otherwise stoked for what will transpire from your venture.

Still have to update y'all on my own progress with pics. The Critical Mass is really exploding.

Blessings and stay frosty Bro

...I am also selecting in smaller Pots, using 1 Gal smartpots and I hadn't have the feeling of missing much in the plants spectrum. In comparison to bigger pots it was just harder to keep happy, as Heat of 36°C almost burnt them to death because I forgot to water one day. Mycorrhiza was the only reason they didn't and were able to bounce back. Maybe one of the greater tips for anybody who is facing unbreakable heat problems...

Hey braddah, have you tried a silicate product? I've had great success using this supplement. It has also been helpful in providing better mechanical support for some of those spindly sats I've come to know and love.

Cool runnin braddahs
M

Lifted from another site:

[FONT=&quot]Why You Should Use Potassium Silicate.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]​[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Many benefits can be gained by using a good Potassium Silicate product in your feeding program. Increased tolerance of environmental stress, heat, cold, drought, water and soil toxicity or deficiency, improved growth rate both in the root zone and in the plant it foliage. By using Potassium Silicate with clones can increase the rate of roots kicked by as much as 80%.

Potassium Silicate is a natural fungicide, it helps build the plants defense from attacks by insects, fungi. Potassium Silicate helps the plant growth by depositing it self epidermal cell walls, enhancing the plant's ability to keep the leaves pointed towards the light source. It also increases the stem strength, making it easier to hold up more weight. As the plant builds it self up with Potassium Silicate, it helps with balancing nutrient uptake and distribution, and increased concentration of chlorophyll and RUBP carboxylase in leaves. (AKA the Calvin cycle)[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]How Potassium Silicate Increases Resistance to Pathogens[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Potassium Silicate is impregnated in the epidermal cell layer acting as a barrier against penetration of fungal attacks from powdery mildew, black spots, pythium and phytophthora and many more fugal problems. Silicate also increase the mechanical strength of the plant to help it in extreme heat and cold swings, salt build up in soils or increased TDS in water, and controls the rate of transpiration of plants.

Potassium Silicate plays an active role in combating fungal growth by the production of polyphenolic compounds, this is a main part of the plants natural defense against fugal and insect attacks.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

The plants leaf system will rapidly bound potassium Silicate in the tissue and cell walls with in 24 hours of uptake. Therefore a continuous source of Silicate is very important. When silicate uptake by the plant it will start with the older growth and work is way into the newer growth to help build up the mechanical strength of the plant.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

When adding Silicate to a foliage spray program, it will help lower the rate of disease attack and helps protect the plants new leafs from spider mites, aphids, and many other sucking type insects. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]How Potassium Silicate Increases the Metabolic Rate of Plants[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]It has been shown that silicate improves resistance to wilt, resistance to water stress, can help fight heat stress up too 105 deg F. If your plant has excessive transpiration, the plant will cease it metabolic function and stunted or no growth will occur.

Use if silicates in cloning or new seedlings helps speed up the rate of growth by as much as 90% (University of Florida and Minnesota). Also the study showed that 18% top 80% increase of dry weight of fruit and herbs.

It also increases reproductive rate in plants (Bud Growth). Increases tolerance of Zinc deficiencies, excessive phosphorus, manganese, sodium and aluminum toxicity. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]REFERENCES[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]
1. Marschner, H., Mineral Nutrition of Higher Plants, Academic Press, 1995, pp. 417-426,440-442.
2. Datnoff, L.E., et al., “Influence of Silicon Fertilizer Grades on Blast and Brown Spot
Development and on Rice Yields,” Plant Disease, October 1992, pp. 1011-1013.
3. Miyake, Y. and E. Takahashi, “Effect of Silicon on the Growth of Cucumber Plant in Soil
Culture,” Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 29 (4), 1983, pp. 463-471.
4. Miyake, Y. and E. Takahashi, “Effect of Silicon on the Growth and Fruit Production of
Strawberry Plants in a Solution Culture,” Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 32 (2), 1986, pp. 321-326.
5. Miyake, Y. and E. Takahashi, “Silicon Deficiency of Tomato Plant,” Soil Sci. Plant Nutr.,
24, 1978, pp. 175-189.
6. Schmidt, R.E., et al., “Response of Photosynthesis and Superoxide Dismutase to Silica
Applied to Creeping Bentgrass Grown Under Two Fertility Levels,” J. Plant Nutrition, 22
(11), 1999, pp. 1763-1773.
7. Posters presented at Silicon in Agriculture Conference, Sept. 26-30, 1999, Ft.
Lauderdale, FL. “Effects of Silicon on the Seedling Growth of Creeping Bentgrass and
Zoysiagrass,” by Z. Linjuan et al., China Agricultural University; “Influence of Silicon and
Host Plant Resistance on Gray Leaf Spot Development in St. Augustinegrass,” by L.E.
Datnoff and R.T. Nagata, University of Florida.
8. Chen, J., et al., “Let’s Put the Si Back into Soil,” University of Florida, Mid-Florida
Research and Education Center, Apopka, FL.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Just popped into my head when reading this because I just had the root aphid infestation on my first grow because I brought in vegetables in generic garden soil which was infested with root aphids.

When this happened I vowed to really take the whole "isolate whatever you get from outside before introducing it into your garden" reaaaaal serious :D

Yep, I no longer take outside clones because of all the problems it has caused. Mites, PM, gnats, you name it. I've tried the GG, GSC, Chocolope, many others. The GSC and Chocolope hermed under stress. Fems? No thank you. The GG was the worst PM magnet... they taught me about diseases, recessive expressions, hermaphrodites. While I have enjoyed some of these offerings in the past they haven't contributed to my gene pool. Can you say stability? Many of these strains lack that and IMJ while smokable are not worth keeping for the projects I am currently involved in. I've had enough experience with MNS regular seeds to know that they have more than enough offerings to satisfy my needs.

Aloha
M

Mu- bad ass information on silica. Thanks so much! I may need to make another run to the grow store to see if I can trade some bamboo stakes for silica. I may have missed it- any particular brand/ product you recommend?

Bro and Mu-

Yes, I am treating all my plants as if they have the plague. Their first experience is getting dunked and shaken into a sink full of diluted h2o2 followed by a close inspection with my loupe. They probably think I'm a mad man, but I assure them that this is a process that will help them.

After that I spray every Tues, Thurs, and Sat to make sure anything that is still around after that does not have a chance in hell of survival.

I have also taken my basement completely over... I used to allow cats and dogs to come down with me but that is over. I need to know nothing is coming in through the basement door.

Between the Azamax,Neem oil and Pest Bully I think I will come out pest free and roll right into flower.

Cross your fingers for me gents.

3 of 4 La Nina were above ground when I left for work this morning!! I'm very excited.

Thanks for all the input guys, you all rock!

Stay Hazed,
Jake

Thanks Skunkha,

I will look into some supplement brands.... Or look into natural amendments that I can just add to the soil.

New Business
3 out of 4 La Nina are up and searching for light. I had to pull the shell off of the first plant that popped up. The colytedon opened up with in an hour. So far I am seeing typical MNS vigor right off the bat :cool:

My Koala Berry mother bush is starting to put out new growth again. She is due one more pruning and I will post pictures once that is complete.
It is worth noting that this mother plant was "monster cropped" as in it was taken from a flowering plant... Initially i thought it was cool because the branching was plentiful and quick. Only after it stabilized completely back into vegetative state did I realize the growth is all wrong. Its like 100 sucker shoots... I have been trying to trim away a lot and shoot for 20-30 growth shoots right before flowering. Nothing like any other clone I've taken.

Moral of the story:
Re-vegging is not a fun road... get your pruning shears ready!

That's all for now

Stay hazed,
Jake

Back