Interesting info

sensient

I was reading a post on Mel Franks IG page. He had posted a picture of the Afghan#1 and someone asked if it was the same line that was later used in Holland. His answer was yes, it was, he had given Sam SkunkMan it as well as Durban, skunk#1 and a few other lines I can't remember off hand. Kind of calls out Sam on his BS. Obviously Sam didn't breed shit. It was all given to him!!

The other strains he mentioned were Hindu kush and Haze. Wow, so wtf is Sam talking about. Sounds like he is totally full of it and had nothing to do with these lines other than taking them to Holland. Always believed Sam was full of it, now I have my answers, peace all..S

Hi All

the thing people forget is all things are handed down or collected from generation to generation , even in the origins of the land races. Still to this day in places like Morocco, India and Afghanistan the families cultivating cannabis for hashish use heirloom natural selected seeds...well that is until the commercial seed producers began selling seed to these areas and changing the face of production.

So Sam , Nevil, Rob, etc....all began by starting with seeds someone else had worked on but maybe had not stabilized. Like myself i also went to out of the way areas to collect land races but these all varied from valley to valley already...like certain hashish production reflected. Therefore at best we are hands of nature ...nothing more.

The problem is usual character of the person doing this work and those continuing this work...as we see today.

Now add to the equation new techniques and all of a sudden many companies no longer have male plants, or really know the origins of the original seed lines but still can replicate and direct genetic outcomes.

It is best not to listen too much to the white noise surrounding those who brought things into the public eye, but to concentrate on the seed you have and do the best selection you can with it.

As Nevil always said once a person takes a companies seed and inbreeds it 4 times it is already a long way from what it was original depending upon the traits a breeder is selecting for.

Pay little attention to the people stories and more to the seed is my advice.

All the best Sb

I was reading a post on Mel Franks IG page. He had posted a picture of the Afghan#1 and someone asked if it was the same line that was later used in Holland. His answer was yes, it was, he had given Sam SkunkMan it as well as Durban, skunk#1 and a few other lines I can't remember off hand. Kind of calls out Sam on his BS. Obviously Sam didn't breed shit. It was all given to him!!

Yes, Skunk, Afghan and a lot of other stuff was floating around NorCal before Watson got his hands on it. Also Cali-O, which he claimed he bred, was documented as being developed long before by Jerry Beisler in SoCal in the early 1970s. Mel has also been correcting several stories and histories floating around online of late, including his development of his Durban Poison A and B strains (which Watson has also claimed credit for). Though Watson *is* generally credited with developing the no-smell skunk strain, which he then crossed with Mel's Durban B strain, and that is still sold as Durban Poison from several Dutch seed companies. I have re-worked that line myself, injecting landrace Durban back into the Dutch cross to revive the original terpenes and retaining stable and reasonable bloom times. But I make no claims of grandeur. I have a large landrace and early NorCal heirloom collection from the later 1970s is all. I read the book Marijuana Potency which has a section about freezing seeds, and seemingly I am the only one that actually did that at the time?

Before I was banned over in ICrag, Watson told me that he has several tons of Cannabis seeds in his collection. He likely has the largest collection in the world at this time. I have no idea of how or where he has them stored. He has supplied a lot of landraces and strains to Phylos BioScience here in Portland where Robert Clarke is on the science advisory board, and many of those strains are listed in Phylos Galaxy.

Last edited:
Hi All

the thing people forget is all things are handed down or collected from generation to generation , even in the origins of the land races. Still to this day in places like Morocco, India and Afghanistan the families cultivating cannabis for hashish use heirloom natural selected seeds...well that is until the commercial seed producers began selling seed to these areas and changing the face of production.

So Sam , Nevil, Rob, etc....all began by starting with seeds someone else had worked on but maybe had not stabilized. Like myself i also went to out of the way areas to collect land races but these all varied from valley to valley already...like certain hashish production reflected. Therefore at best we are hands of nature ...nothing more.

The problem is usual character of the person doing this work and those continuing this work...as we see today.

Now add to the equation new techniques and all of a sudden many companies no longer have male plants, or really know the origins of the original seed lines but still can replicate and direct genetic outcomes.

It is best not to listen too much to the white noise surrounding those who brought things into the public eye, but to concentrate on the seed you have and do the best selection you can with it.

As Nevil always said once a person takes a companies seed and inbreeds it 4 times it is already a long way from what it was original depending upon the traits a breeder is selecting for.

Pay little attention to the people stories and more to the seed is my advice.

All the best Sb

I think this is very well said Shanti.

I know when I started out doing research, this is exactly the conclusion I arrived at, albeit months later.

For anyone starting out with Cannabis, I would say that post should be read and understood and they will have some light and guidance in the shady/murky seed/strain market.

So true shati and bro... But it's interesting shit... Gloosy pop mags sell lots, reality TV is a thing, history is taught in schools, its natural to want to know the knity gritty ins and outs of the subject/ hobby/passion that you have... I'm not sure why the emotional attachment comes with the story's one likes to side with, guilty myself lol, so that'd be better to leave.. the laws made it shady, who doesn't enjoy a non fictional crime thriller, gives it even more gloss to try and figure out.

While I find history? interesting and perhaps useful bullshit at the cocktail party, I maintain that the past is just that. It really has no significance compared to the seed I hold in hand at the present moment. Thanks for the reminder Shanti.

Aloha nui
M

Back