Hermaphroditic rambles.

MImedpatient

Over many years of running a stress room and a non stress room, I have noticed that Hermaphroditic tendencies are in every line I have grown. they are not in every plant of every line. it expresses in degrees. and has different triggers n different hybrids of the same parent stock. for example. I was gifted a BCGA or early Subcool space queen that supposedly originated in California around the time subcool was lookin for the space dude male. It wouldnt express hermaphroditism from light stress, cold stress, over fertilization, under fertilization, over watering, or under watering. but if the flower room hit 95F, she would express mild hermaphroditism. subcools Space Dude, passed on that same hermaphroditic trait, but SD's Herm trait isn't tied down to heat activation. 4 querkles hermied out from light stress, 2 from heat stress, and 7 were full on intersex in the no stress room. with the plushberry, all the black cherry soda phenotypes went full hermaphroditic by day 75 in the no stress room, and all had light stress activated hermaphroditic tendencies in the stress room. that means if I were to have bred with my bcga/pre dude space queen(i did) the hermaphroditic trait likely would float to different activation triggers(it did).

Chemdawg and sour diesel pass Light sensitivity hermaphroditic traits. sometimes their progeny is full on intersex in a no stress grow.

Some plants do not express the hermaphroditic trait. I mentioned in a post in another thread about a delicious seeds cotton candy feminized plant that clones of it never hermied in the stress room, or the no stress room. It was astounding to me as a newer grower. It's still on my to buy list. I want to grow it again.
I was told by the old guy who gave me my 1st cuts to always have a space to be mean to clones of your plants. if you don't know how your plants react when they are under duress, do you truly know your plants?

The Mac one Caps cut is another plant that doesn't like to express its hermaphroditic trait. 3 weeks of light stress to make it show some sacs. very readily stops throwing sacs when the stress is removed. According to many American breeders, it doesn't like to be pollinated either. which to me speaks of a low lifespan of the part of the ovum(I don't know terms, sorry) where the seed would be fertilized as compared to "normal".

These are just some thoughts I wanted to share. anyone else got any thoughts and opinions on this subject?

I wasn't throwing Subcool under the bus. I respect his work and very much enjoyed what grew from the seeds I paid for. them and my space queen helped me understand a little about comparative growing, and choosing a plant " like the parent" w/o having to do the whole pollination thing until a male plant was like "HEY, I'm reeking out the veg room, and you thought I was a girl, look at my pollen sacs father! they aren't preflowers!! they are real flowers!! please let me do my job!" so I let him do his job. that male was a hazeman grape 13. grape stomper x g13 for anyone curious. the SQxGr13 is literally a lottery type cross. all the grandparent genetics come forward. c99 type, romulan type, stomper type(chem diesel urkle) and g13 type plants. 10/10 for phenohunting 1/10 on the actual breeding. the grape 13 incross was pretty consistent though. I lucked out and found "twin" boy and girl phenotypes when it came to the progeny. 1/10 for phenohunting, 5/10 on the actual breeding. if you dont count luck as being the only reason it happened.

I grew subcool's gear for years and never had a herm problem with any of them. I've had fields of Dairy Queen, 3D, JTR, Querkle, Jillybean, and Qush over the years. The only problem was they were too low yielding for my purposes, except the Third Dimension. I used to get my beans directly from him when he hawked them on the seedbay auctions @ $35 a pack. RIP subcool.

I grew subcool's gear for years and never had a herm problem with any of them. I've had fields of Dairy Queen, 3D, JTR, Querkle, Jillybean, and Qush over the years. The only problem was they were too low yielding for my purposes, except the Third Dimension. I used to get my beans directly from him when he hawked them on the seedbay auctions @ $35 a pack. RIP subcool.
Indeed RIP subcool. That could very likely be why. I got them in 2013/2014 and he was having other people making them for him in addition to making them himself. he said it on the weed nerd podcast I believe. you also say you did fields? the outdoors can really help plants not express the hermaphroditism from what posts on the internet lead me believe. I have only done outdoors 3 times as my neighbors asked me not to, as I like to grow stinky plants. but, I can grow fruity and low smell plants and they wont care!

Back