Herm City

do you think a bodybuilder who messes with hormones and grows some titties should be surprised? or blame the genes?

and do you think a grower who messes with plant hormones and grows some hermies should be surprised? or blame the genes?

maybe check your soil, fert and additives first.

greetz

tolerance may be different among strains. but i realized all my hermies appeared between 2 weeks after using green sensation. much worse on some strains then others. and of course i blamed the genes. :p

Last edited:
Does anyone know when the hermie trait shows itself. I started 14 plants, 12 made it to flowering, 6 were males and the remaining 6 females are doing very well. I'm in day 17 of flowering and I've been checking daily for bananas. They have a "northern lights" structure and buds are starting to form. Very healthy so far. Any comments would be appreciated.......

IIRC trait was displayed early (2-3 weeks after flip) in the F1 generation. In the F2 generation I am at that same point but I don't see the trait at all. First place to check would be the lower branches. If you don't see male flowers on the lower branches then chances are good that you have a plant that will behave itself. Great medicine either way.

M.

IIRC trait was displayed early (2-3 weeks after flip) in the F1 generation. In the F2 generation I am at that same point but I don't see the trait at all. First place to check would be the lower branches. If you don't see male flowers on the lower branches then chances are good that you have a plant that will behave itself. Great medicine either way.
M.

Morphote. I don't have anything of substance to add. I just thought it was a coincidence that your thread popped up and I'm about to go out in the garden and spend the day pruning the lower branches off my Ortega and taking clones. I did not realize before reading your post that my plants are 2 and a half weeks in.

not necessarily pruning in fear of male flowers showing. it's just I haven't been able to get to it yet and it needs to be done. i got about 20+ different females going. I will keep my eye out for any male parts.

Lammy

M.

I have 10 Ortega seeds as I split the pack and they have been sitting in the fridge ever since I read of your herm experience. Would you run another pack of F-1's if given the chance? Or would you prefer to just continue on with your F-2's a few more generations and not deal with the hermies. Thanks in advance

I have 10 Ortega seeds as I split the pack and they have been sitting in the fridge ever since I read of your herm experience. Would you run another pack of F-1's if given the chance? Or would you prefer to just continue on with your F-2's a few more generations and not deal with the hermies. Thanks in advance

I'll happily take those Ortega off your hands, I can't seem to get them at a price I'm willing to pay at the auctions.
:)
Mr Barnflowers

I'll happily take those Ortega off your hands, I can't seem to get them at a price I'm willing to pay at the auctions.
:)
Mr Barnflowers
i guess i phrased it wrong...if Morphote had another pack would he run through them or not bother again because of his initial problems at the F1 level...i know its against policy and i w would never offer up seeds...if he would run another pack then chances are i'll start mine soon, otherwise i'll wait til I have more space down the line

I have 2 more packs of F1s which I will run at some point. I would run them right now if I did not have all these F2 seeds to play with and learn from. This is without a doubt one of my favorite lines to grow, despite any intersex traits I have encountered. Once you grow and sample this line you will completely understand what I'm talking about. Ortega is nothing less than fantastic cannabis.

M.

For those who care, I thought I'd add my experience with the strain. I started 15 plants, 2 didn't pop, one was kind of a runt and destroyed. The seeds were gotten from Attitude, and maybe 1.5 years old. 6 plants were male and chopped. I have 6 females in their 27th day of flowering. I kept them short and have cut back on my normal watering schedule. I trimmed the bottom 20% off the plants for air circulation and making it easier to water. On 3 of the 6 plants, in their 3rd week of flowering - I found a single male banana along the main stem half way down the plant. I pinched them off- the pods were not mature yet and I didn't see any viable pollen. They are very healthy, easy to care for so far. After a 28 day veg, they didn't stretch much and are all about 42 inches high. Not much variation within the plants either, which is good (or maybe bad if you're looking for different pheno's). Nice resin production so far, but I don't see them yielding even average. Can't wait to try these though........

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Hey Im new to this,just trying to learn but I thought stress also causes plants to Hermie? Then that would be the grower not the seed producer making that happen? Trying to get these things fiqured out not trying to argue.

Hey Im new to this,just trying to learn but I thought stress also causes plants to Hermie? Then that would be the grower not the seed producer making that happen? Trying to get these things fiqured out not trying to argue.

Yes you are correct stress causes the intersex trait to show itself, but stress can be induced on purpose to search for individuals which have the intersex trait so as to remove them from the population when creating forward filial generations. The theory is that if you (the grower) expose these "sensitive" individuals and remove them from the population, then you should be able to create stable generations of seed lots. I made the F1s "herm" on purpose but did not expect to see the intersex trait on such a rampant level. Surprisingly, the F2 generation, created from the intersex F1s, has not shown any intersex traits whatsoever, so the Ortega saga continues. At this point my theory is as follows:

Intersex Female [#4] F1 Ortega x Intersex Male F1 Ortega = Completely Stable F2 Progeny (Male and Female)

I don't fully understand it but it is what I am seeing. This is from an extremely small sample but I will continue by searching through the other F2 seed lots that I created to see if this holds true across the board. My guess is that it does not but at this point all bets are off.

M.

I wanted to add out of my 6 females, 3 showed a single male banana mid-way down the main stalk..........other then that, no other issue or problems.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    550.8 KB · Views: 28
I thought I'd make a final reply........The Ortegas are cut and drying, I went 64 days into flowering. 3 of the 6 plants put off a single male banana, as stated previously. I didn't have any other hermie issues at all thru flowering. I think they will yield about 1 1/4 oz per plant, below average for me but the quality appears very high- I've been dehydrating some small samples and they've been potent. The unpleasant smell in flowering has been taken over by a fruity fragrance.........well worth growing IMO. The 1st pic is the top 6 colas, and a few closeups.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    570 KB · Views: 39
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    391.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    844.2 KB · Views: 32

I put my plants through lots of stress and there's also the odd light leak here n there in my grow cabs, but I've never had nanners serious enough to give me seed. Same thing when I used to flower in a tent too.

So many people say that light leaks/stress gives you nanners but I'm not too sure. I guess it depends on the strain and severity of stress/light leak(s) IDK.

GM1

At this point in my journey I would have to say that stress testing is no indication of the potential/value of any seedline or genotype/chemotype therein. I realize this may be somewhat controversial to say, but it is what I have found to be true.

M.

Likely best to grow as per usual(as to stress testing) , I always figured a nanner on a ripe bud was sign of overripness /time to harvest signal as the plant is trying to seed itself and get on with it. Male flowers elswhere on a younger flowering plant is a concern if not just light deprived lower branches .
If the hermie tendency here was as good as eliminated was it because the seed was made with a hermie male flower thus producing feminized seed?
Any thoughts on that Morphote?

I don't "stress test" as such but the way I grow, stress cannot be avoided.

I narrow down stress by trying to give them the best environment I possibly can, especially in the areas of light, water/food, hygiene/organisation and air quality which includes temps/rh as well as exchange (currently expanding my grow space too).

I top, fim, lst, prune, make sure the plant's totally rootbound before xplant, bend/kink branches, defoliate etc etc. Although beneficial to an extent, these practices will inevitably stress the plant to some degree and one must take care not to over do things and getting these techniques right will increase yield too.

I've done the odd "stress test" in the past on a few clones, only to enable me to learn from the plants hands on.

Infact, I remember a long time ago when I was growing the rhino. I gave some cuts to a mate. His hermied bigtime and mine didn't (well, I had the odd seed here n there but nothing to worry about). His grow was more crowded than mine too. So, could overcrowding cause herms IDK?

GM1

Last edited:
Back