Hawaiian haze

Batman

hello fellows,

i saw someone in the top 3 coffeeshops thread talking about the hawaiian haze being available at some coffeeshop in Amsterdam, it reminds me that 7 years ago i bought some of this weed at the dutch flower or the greenhouse coffeeshop, when i first tried this strain i liked the aroma, it was like fresh cutting flowers, a bit disgusting in the long run but very special, do you remember ? i always wondered what was the lineage of this strain, any idea ?
sincerely

Bat

Last edited:
Good question it be great to know which hawaiian was used ,Surely the haze C was the male

I think only Nevil can aswer this question

Ive mentioned before id love too see thi strain along with some of the older nevil's haze hybrids rereleased

such as african haze i think maybe malawi

hashplanthaze N there are a few others i cant recall

1luvbigherb

Just because someone saw something called Hawaiian Haze in a shop doesn't meant there ever was such a thing, a lot of the shop owners aren't even smokers and they judge everything by bag appeal and smell as that's what the customers base their purchases on.

Maybe Nevil did do a Hawaiian x Haze cross and a cutting was given out.

Or maybe Hawaiian Haze is just one of literally thousands of made up names given to things by shop owners over the years.

Or maybe the grower told the buyer that it was called Hawaiian Haze.

Little story, a friend of mine who used to grow for the shops had a batch of awesome weed he had grown from seed, couldn't sell it under it's real name, buyers wouldn't look at it. So he went away, thought about why he couldn't sell this great weed then went back, told them he now had some 'Blue Kush' and they snapped it up at a good price and even asked later if he had any more.

So while there may have been a Hawaiian Haze it might also have been something else renamed, quite possibly just another SSH, a hell of a lot of weed in the Dam in the last decade has been SSH under various names.

Hawaiians

Just because someone saw something called Hawaiian Haze in a shop doesn't meant there ever was such a thing, a lot of the shop owners aren't even smokers and they judge everything by bag appeal and smell as that's what the customers base their purchases on.

Maybe Nevil did do a Hawaiian x Haze cross and a cutting was given out.

Or maybe Hawaiian Haze is just one of literally thousands of made up names given to things by shop owners over the years.

Or maybe the grower told the buyer that it was called Hawaiian Haze.

Little story, a friend of mine who used to grow for the shops had a batch of awesome weed he had grown from seed, couldn't sell it under it's real name, buyers wouldn't look at it. So he went away, thought about why he couldn't sell this great weed then went back, told them he now had some 'Blue Kush' and they snapped it up at a good price and even asked later if he had any more.

So while there may have been a Hawaiian Haze it might also have been something else renamed, quite possibly just another SSH, a hell of a lot of weed in the Dam in the last decade has been SSH under various names.

I brought hawaiian sativa cuttings to the castle years back and they were sapose to breed with the haze but i dont think it ever happened because of circumstances

Im pretty sure i had some Hawaiin haze when i was in amsterdam in 2002 , not sure which coffee shop , i was with my good friend trichomefarmer , he loves his haze ..
I remember the smell and taste quite well ,, it was a nice warm smell and taste , something i ve found in several of the haze varieties ive tried ,,
i wish i could put a better word to it than warm ,,,
anyhows it was nice herb ,, and certainly made riding a bicycle on the wrong side of the road a hell of a lot harder ..

Im pretty sure i had some Hawaiin haze when i was in amsterdam in 2002 , not sure which coffee shop , i was with my good friend trichomefarmer , he loves his haze ..
I remember the smell and taste quite well ,, it was a nice warm smell and taste , something i ve found in several of the haze varieties ive tried ,,
i wish i could put a better word to it than warm ,,,
anyhows it was nice herb ,, and certainly made riding a bicycle on the wrong side of the road a hell of a lot harder ..

Sounds like a familiar story. I've never bothered with a bike there after the disaster I had the first time.

One way a lot of things get renamed is to add value to good batches.

Supposing there is a steady supply of SSH, the shop has it on the menu all the time as 10e a g and it sells very well. Then some better SSH comes along, you can't put it on the menu as 'better SSH' and charge 12 for it, the customer base isn't discerning enough. However there's no stopping you putting it on the menu as 'Hawaiian Haze' as 12e a g and writing the subtext 'better than SSH' below it. That justifies the higher price to the customer, I mean, we've all stood there and listened while budtenders try to make up some bullshit after some ill-informed customer asked them to explain the difference between two similar sounding weeds at different prices.

Of course, all of this is still not saying there wasn't an actual Hawaiian Haze!

Just felt it was good to consider how the market works in Holland.

There were a few Hawaiians I recall seeing on various visits, there was a chunky fruity indica one you used to see at The Nes and some other places, I think Katsu had Hawaiian something (Delight?) one time.

Last edited:
I've tried that Hawaiian Haze that floats around Amsterdam on numerous occasions from 1999-2008.
Its one of the most consistent samples you can find, almost always available at Dutch Flowers and sometimes Katsu coffeeshop.
I wonder if it all comes from the same grower who holds this clone very close to his chest? its that consistently good

Dutch Passion seed bank used to sell an offering called Hawaiian Haze but it was discontinued more than 7 years ago. I think Nevil originally did this cross but never released it?
The Seed Bank won 1st place in the Sativa category with Hawaiian x Haze at the 1990 Cannabis Cup.

Katsu HH

Attachments

• DSC07700.JPG
    DSC07700.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_4721.JPG
    DSC_4721.JPG
    253.7 KB · Views: 29
I've tried that Hawaiian Haze that floats around Amsterdam on numerous occasions from 1999-2008.
Its one of the most consistent samples you can find, almost always available at Dutch Flowers and sometimes Katsu coffeeshop.
I wonder if it all comes from the same grower who holds this clone very close to his chest? its that consistently good

Dutch Passion seed bank used to sell an offering called Hawaiian Haze but it was discontinued more than 7 years ago. I think Nevil originally did this cross but never released it?
The Seed Bank won 1st place in the Sativa category with Hawaiian x Haze at the 1990 Cannabis Cup.

Katsu HH

I love those pics and abraxas during my 4 trips if i recal always had this hawaiian haze which was as you say very consisitant an of the higher quality haze hybrids offered in the CS's .From wat i recall it was quite hazy a soapy type what i consider a clean colombian .

Im not 100%

But i believe that these other hybrids below were created by nevil an also possible cup winners

S.african x haze /pakisat x haze / hawiian x haze/swazi x haze

1luvbigherb

Katsu HH

Wonderful answer, cheers.

I like Dutch Flowers, consistently good quality ever since I've been going to the Dam. I don't remember Hawaiian Haze specfically but I will have tried it at some point I'm sure, only thing I clearly recall from DF is the 'Diesel' I got there that is still the best Diesel I've smoked and I've grown loads of variants of Diesel myself, it was extremely lemony and not very dieselly, definitely wasn't ECSD, god knows what it was, huge golden calyxes, foxtailed as hell but chunky too, no leaf and seemed like it had been cured many months which was most unusual in the shops at that time and since.

It is feasible it comes from the same grower, there are a lot of small growers who sell to the same buyer for years, I met a couple in a growshop in a tiny industrial estate in a tiny town in rural Holland and was amazed how openly they chatted to me, a stranger, about what they grew, how much they grew, which shop it went to, how much money they made etc etc, they were two late 30s very respectable looking middle class types who both worked and the growing was so they could o on holiday 3-4x a year etc, really nice people, I bet if I hadn't been living in a place over 100km away they would have invited me to pop round and see their grow sometime! Because I was English and they heard my accent they started talking to me because they wanted to know about this Cheese they had heard about and if it was worth growing, they decided they would stick to Powerplant because it was so reliable and always brought the same price. It's only the most dedicated who have kept the Hazes going in Holland, the rest are either growing a reliable white weed like Powerplant or whatever is flavour of the month (if they can get the cutting).

On the subject of what Nevil crossed Haze to, I expect the answer is the obvious one - all of the female breeding plants he had at that time, then spend a few years progeny testing them all. The clones that survive in Holland were handed out by Nev and I think were the ones that were amazing smoke but weren't chosen for breeding because they were from lines that Nev passed on to focus on the really successful one - NL5Haze, from that one comes SSH, NH, MH etc...

I was in amsterdam in 2005 and there was Hawaiian Haze seeds sold by Greenhouse. I know this because I picked up a pack when I was there.
I think it was right around when they first started selling their seeds in those birth control type seed packs, thats what they came in.
Before I flew home I got rid of the fancy seed pack and put the seeds in a baggie so it wouldn't be noticed by customs or anything, but I definitely remember it said "hawaiian haze" on the pack. Like right after that GH came out with Hawaiian Snow, and I always had a feeling they just changed the name and it is the same thing. I still have those seeds saved for a rainy day.

hay Batman,,maybe i can shed some light,,:),,i too would like to see that weed again,,,

i lived in Amsterdam in 00-01 and i was popping backwards and forwards to England every other month up-until 02,,,im almost 100% sure i smoked loads of the weed your talking about nearly every other day in 01/02,,,

i loved that HawianHaze [HH] from the DutchFlowers [DF] coffeshop in 01,,that was the time i fell in love with Hawaiian cannabis:),,, that HH from DF and Somas Hawian crosses made my mouth water:),,,,,the 2e karmer also had the same exact HH, but because DF received better batches and DF stored it better too, DF`s HH always tasted better than the 2e karmer`s,,i spoke to the 2e karmer guys in 01 about there HH,,,they said it was a 19 week plant and the dude who sold it only did 2 crops a year,,,thats all the info i got from them

around the same sorta time in 01 Greenhouse started sellin HH too,,but GH`s HH was slighly different and slightly better too,,,2 names were written in pen on the GH menu for a while,,they were HH and Canalope,,,both were some of the best samples ive ever seen

id say,,, ask the 2e karmer guys again,,,id sujest asking soma about it too,,,ive not spoke to soma in a while,,but next time i see soma, il try to remember to ask him.

There was no Cannaloupe Haze in 01, DNA didn't get to Amsterdam until 2004 and didn't realease Cannaloupe Haze until 2005 and it was almost certainly a C99 f2.

No-one in Holland flowers anything for sale 19 weeks, they just made that up, why would anyone grow anything longer than 10 weeks because they won't get any more money for it than they would for a 10 week SSH. Wasn't the short dark Arab looking fellow that used to work there was it? He was a proper wind-up merchant, nice guy but used to wind up tourists with mad tales all the time...

That's a huge part of why SSH is so common in holland, always fetches a good price.

Why ask the Tweede Kamer people? It's been owned by the Dampkring for years, same staff pool so they won't know. Ronny that own the Dampkring would be the guy to ask.

Still we don't know if Hawaiian Haze was made by Nev or not, maybe he crossed a Haze male to the Hawaiian Indica?

did you ever smoke the HH from Greenhouse or DF or 2e?,,

"Cannalope",,not "Cannalope Haze",,it was beffore DNA came to town,,,you obviously never saw it,,,

talk to the bald headed dude in from the 2e karmer,,im sure you know who i mean,,he knows his weed better than you

i bet this Hawaiian haze thing came from shanti`s Hawaiian indica male, probably the same 1 shanti gave to soma and the same 1 used in NYCD,,i bet 1 of them crossed the Hawian indica male with some sorta haze,,,,soma may have done the cross at the damkrink and 2e , but the greenhouse`s weed almost definitely came from nevil and shanit while they were growing for greenhouse up untill the end of 01,

the only reason i spoke to the bald dude about Hawaiian haze in the firstplace was because when i saw the flowertime written on both the damkrink and the 2e`s menus even i was shocked at 19weeks,,

i actually thought the damkrink and the 2e`s Hawaiian Haze was crap,,the 2es HawianHaze just didnt taste GOOD atall compared to greenhouses or dutchflowers,,,it just looked like 2e had the bits dutch flowers wouldn't accept,,,,Dutch flowers had the same stuff but with nice dense juicy buds,,:),

I'd done a couple of Hawaiian Haze crosses. One was with a Hawaiian from Roger in N.Y. A bit of Indica in that one, huge yields.
The other was with a small seeded piney sweet Hawaiian Sativa. This was a true connoisseurs variety but few wanted to bother with it. J. in Breda really liked it and this guy had taste. Maybe Y.Sam has heard of it.
N.

I think this will bring some closure to the debate or question at hand the post is from the Questions for Nevil thread .

This could should n would have been answered awhile back quickly By someone such as UNC L33t sadly he hasnt posted in sometime

1luvbigherb

hawaiian haze and now orange bud, there must be more nevil and shanti strains missing, i heard of a line called gravity and i remember having read very good review of an other line called himalaya gold.
what do you think fellows ?

bat

I have some F2 seeds of Hapa Haze, a strain by Centennial Seeds out of Colorado. Like Shantibaba, Ben Holmes (aka Centennial Seeds) has been focusing on medical strains of late, although his rec seeds are still available elsewhere if you know where to look. Here is their description:

The Hapa Haze seed was made with the Waipi’o Hapa and Haze. I’ve grown both of these lines enough to know the unique markers of each. The Hapa Haze expresses the best characteristics of both parents and is a textbook example of hybrid vigor.

Hapa Haze is a large plant and performs best in large rooms or outdoors where the sunshine can encourage maximum expression of its potential.

Pine and citrus dominate the flavor and fragrance. The smoke leaves a unique and delicious fragrance in the air that will bring you back to a time when equatorial Sativa types made up the bulk of the American herb supply. Flavorful, stimulating and easy to grow.

Flowering time: 10 - 12 weeks

So while this is certainly not the Hawaiian Haze that was being smoked in Amsterdam in 2011 when this thread started, it is a Hawaiian Haze nonetheless. It sounds interesting. I have scoured the internet and can't find any grow logs for this strain. Is anyone familiar with Hapa Haze, or with Centennial Seeds?

Back