Hash making methods

weezy

Hello Shantibaba. As always thank you for providing this wonderful site along with very fine genetics. I was wondering if you could please take some time to help educate us on oil distillation, or any hash making techniques that we could benefit from. The hash industry is exploding in America as it's already been large in Europe. I know after you left greenhouse you started an oil company. Obviously you weren't using some backwoods butane rig. My guess is you used ether in the extraction process. Did you experiment with cold water extraction? I would be very grateful if you could take the time to help us. Even if it's not your direct instructions (which would be even better) but just a link to written info to study. I would like to perfect hash making and I figured you would be the best person to ask! Thanks in advance Shanti.

ha ha ha Weezy .

GBT was about terpenes not hash oil . Wasn`t it ?

Read here Shanti is a dry sift kinda guy . Good dry sifted hash is the primo in my experience . No adulteration . No chemicals and most importantly retains the terpenes .

I would think they produced hash as well, but I could be wrong I would enjoy Shanti's opinion hopefully he doesn't mind posting publicly if this would be more appropriate in a pm please let me know. Plus MM I'm sure over the years with the greenhouse space he has I'm sure he has done more then dry hash. Did I miss the humor? Would you care to share any methods you have used and what's worked best?

I`ve tried Moroccan , Afghan , Nepalese and Lebanese traditional hash types .
QWISO , BHO , and Absolute Amber solvent concentrates . Scissor / finger hash .Bubble hash and like I said earlier dry sift is my fave hash because it is unadulterated and it keeps the terpenes intact .

I prefer to smoke the flowers themselves unconcentrated .

Terpenes are what give the trich mix character . Less terpene equates to less high to the buzz IMO .

I`ve tried Moroccan , Afghan , Nepalese and Lebanese traditional hash types .
QWISO , BHO , and Absolute Amber solvent concentrates . Scissor / finger hash .Bubble hash and like I said earlier dry sift is my fave hash because it is unadulterated and it keeps the terpenes intact .

I prefer to smoke the flowers themselves unconcentrated .

Terpenes are what give the trich mix character . Less terpene equates to less high to the buzz IMO .

I concur.

I usually freeze my material first then shake over a sieve and collect the results. Mmmmmmm

I concur.

I usually freeze my material first then shake over a sieve and collect the results. Mmmmmmm

I name this Heston Blumenthal;) HASH
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=5001496

This looks the best dry sieve method i have seen on the internet by far his final product looks beggars belief. The final product looks like molasses dark brown sugar once cured.

anybody on here tried the Heston Blumenthal;) HASH?

Last edited:
I should add to my list . Dry ice sift with a bubble bag.

I found the bubble bag dry ice method produced a sift with a lot of plant matter in it .

Never tried Dimodz`s method . But I think it the ability to process large amounts quickly rather than quality is the point he`s making .

I believe freezing the flowers like that would make them so brittle more plant material would end up in the sift . It could be worked again to remove it I guess .

I should add to my list . Dry ice sift with a bubble bag.

I found the bubble bag dry ice method produced a sift with a lot of plant matter in it .

Never tried Dimodz`s method . But I think it the ability to process large amounts quickly rather than quality is the point he`s making .

I believe freezing the flowers like that would make them so brittle more plant material would end up in the sift . It could be worked again to remove it I guess .

From the picture's there's no pastel greenish contamination,

I'm a fan of this method very innovative, I will give this a try in a couple week's if i can get my hands on some Liquid Nitrogen

I can't even source dry ice around here let alone the liquid Nitrogen... It looks wonderful though. I think I may sift up some hash with the weed I just harvested as soon as it's dry and cured.

Nothing like straight keef or dry hash for sure. I just find there is a little too much plant material in dry hash because just that you have to dry the material first. Matt rize is a good example of someone who produces top quality water hash. Because you can wash the hash you get a much cleaner product. Although you may loose some terpens it's probably one of the most effective hash methods for someone with common household products and bags. The quicker you get the material in the water and has out the better you terpens will be.

Also at some point co2 might be an option I just don't know much about it. Any one ever used ether? Would that be more like RSO?

Last edited:
Weezy that is the skill of dry sift maker .
Not getting plant material in the hash ...

Terpenes are water soluble one dip in the water and a swish and ...

For anyone who dabbles in dry ice hash, try doing it on fresh non dry materials, its damn near 100% efficient depending on screen micron size.

cheap gear screenprint frames

hey folks, i just want to rec screenprint-frames ... you can get that stuff very cheap, used or new (for exemple at the bay) in different mesh sizes.

..Mesh size counts opposite to that of microns, so the larger the number the tighter the screen with mesh. About 120 is the crossover point where they are both about the same, but 80-140 threads per square inch (100-175 micron) is useable. A 325-threads-per-square-inch (tpsi) mesh size is equivalent to the 45-micron lower bag that catches the small gland heads. The main 70-micron catch bag in most sets is about 200 tpsi in mesh size, and the top strainer bags of 185 and 220 microns is 80 and 70 tpsi respectively.

Here is some dry sieve hashish I made today using outdoor grown Organic Kali Mist.

Once I am satisfied that I have taken all I can from the material I will Ice-Hash it to get a second crop of hash.

Ice hash is not as good because the flavour goes away if you put your material in water.

The flavour of dry sieved hash is so so so much better.

You can use the same bags that you use for making ice hash to dry sieve.

I freeze the material then put it in the inner bag (with big holes, which lets resin glands through) then put that bag into the outer bag (with really small holes which catches the resin.)

Try to hold the outer bag closed but with the top of the inner bag coming out of the top of the outer bag.

Grab the top of the inner bag and shake like crazy.

After just a few minutes there will be loads of dry-sieved scuff in the outer bag ready to be pressed into hash. Refreeze your material and go again. keep collecting until it is not worth continuing.

This is the "Grover Method" and works because you freeze the material and the resin glands break at their weakest point when shaken (they look like mushrooms as we all know) and fall off the material, through the mesh and into the outer bag for collection.

It is the same principle as water-extracted "ice-olator" hash but without needing to do it all in water, with ice. Why do you need the water? Gravity and a mesh does a perfectly good job of separating glands and material. A home freezer does a perfectly good job of freezing it. No water needed. No ice needed. No solvent needed.

I just CAN'T STRESS ENOUGH how much flavour you lose when you use water extraction. My method is SO EASY and SO QUICK. It took just minutes to extract, prepare and press the hash below and it is READY TO SMOKE STRAIGHT AWAY - no waiting to dry. NO NASTY CHEMICALS/SOLVENTS, ETC...

Attachments

• Hash-Dry Sieve-Kali Mist (Organic Outdoor).jpg
    Hash-Dry Sieve-Kali Mist (Organic Outdoor).jpg
    844.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I prefer sativa hash to indica hash all day long (although Nepalese is up there!)

Outdoor hash is better than indoor hash, all other things being equal. Same plant outdoors makes better hash. Not sure why but it just does (IMO)

Organic is better than inorganic for hash (in my mind anyway...)

So that means Outdoor Organic Sativa makes for the best hash.

(Something like Kali Mist, Skunk Haze, SSH/MH are just great.)

Nice hash shots and tech advice everyone.

I got my dry sift screens from pocono screen supply here in the states. They're high quality screens and come ready to go. I heard about them and the tech for making quality dry sift from a poster at another site who eventually left. I've used his tech a few times now and it really works well.

The screens come in many different sizes, but I got the 61, 98, 110, and 125 sizes...

The best dry sift I got was when I used dried and cured bud. The bud has to be very dry in order for it to work right with the technique I learned from Dry Sift Wizard. You set up your screens and basically move the bud around the screen with a "wax on-wax off" type of circular motion, making sure not to shake the work surface or agitate it too much. The more you agitate, the more plant material you'll get. I usually only move the bud around for about 5-10 seconds at a time before I remove it, clean the top screen and do another run.

Sorry for the crappy picture, but it's hard to take shots with the microscope...This stuff was from some kali mist, I believe...I think it was my first trial run with DSW's method.

hemphrey-bogart-albums-dry-sift-picture11214-agrade.jpg

Not incredible, but not bad considering how easy it was. With further carding, you can get it down to just trich heads, but that might be more work than it's worth. I just smoke it how it comes out.

The only time I use fresh frozen trim is for when I'm making bubble. You loose a few terpenes, but I've found that the bubble I make from fresh frozen trim is still very sticky, smelly and flavorful...especially if you limit your mixing/agitation time. I love dry sift, but the yields are usually pretty low compared to bubble.

hemphrey-bogart-albums-dry-sift-picture11215-392.jpg

HB.

Nice hash shots and tech advice everyone.

I got my dry sift screens from pocono screen supply here in the states. They're high quality screens and come ready to go. I heard about them and the tech for making quality dry sift from a poster at another site who eventually left. I've used his tech a few times now and it really works well.

The screens come in many different sizes, but I got the 61, 98, 110, and 125 sizes...

The best dry sift I got was when I used dried and cured bud. The bud has to be very dry in order for it to work right with the technique I learned from Dry Sift Wizard. You set up your screens and basically move the bud around the screen with a "wax on-wax off" type of circular motion, making sure not to shake the work surface or agitate it too much. The more you agitate, the more plant material you'll get. I usually only move the bud around for about 5-10 seconds at a time before I remove it, clean the top screen and do another run.

Sorry for the crappy picture, but it's hard to take shots with the microscope...This stuff was from some kali mist, I believe...I think it was my first trial run with DSW's method.

hemphrey-bogart-albums-dry-sift-picture11214-agrade.jpg

Not incredible, but not bad considering how easy it was. With further carding, you can get it down to just trich heads, but that might be more work than it's worth. I just smoke it how it comes out.

The only time I use fresh frozen trim is for when I'm making bubble. You loose a few terpenes, but I've found that the bubble I make from fresh frozen trim is still very sticky, smelly and flavorful...especially if you limit your mixing/agitation time. I love dry sift, but the yields are usually pretty low compared to bubble.

I tried dry ice sift through a bubble bag .
Bigger yield , but when observed with magnification it was a mix of trichs and powdered leaf .

Dry sift is king .

I tried dry ice sift through a bubble bag .
Bigger yield , but when observed with magnification it was a mix of trichs and powdered leaf .

Dry sift is king .

Oh, no doubt there, MM. I tried the dry ice/shaking in the bag thing and was unimpressed with what I got. You get more yield, but the quality is low....lots of stalks and plant material...which you don't really want.

Dry ice bubbles when it makes contact with water, so I even tried using dry ice mixed with ice in my water hash making and found that I got better overall quality just using ice and super cold water.

I figured the dry ice would bubble the water and make mixing a non-issue, but while the bubbling did agitate the material, the end product wasn't as good as just making regular bubble.

IMHO, if you're not worried about yields and you got lots of material to run, dry sift is the way to go. If you're worried about yields, I always tell people to make fresh frozen bubble hash with ice and short duration mixing.

What I've found is that the longer the material sits in the water, the less essential oils you end up with. I know this is true because I can see a sheen of oil on top of my mixed water before I throw it through the screens. That oil eventually gets trapped by the hash in the bags (like the 73 and 90u bags, for example), but you lose some in the end anyway, I think.

HB.

which sift screens do you recommend?

Hey HB,

I have been interested in getting some of the pocono screens to follow the sift wizard method. I don't really want to get more than I need. could you recommend the 2 or 3 screens you think would be the best for Haze hybrids?

Also, which size screen do you think is optimal?

thanks a lot
vajra

Back