Harvest: pull by roots or cut at stem?

golden_eagle

Is it wiser to harvest cannabis by cutting the stem or by uprooting it?
I’ve harvested cannabis by pulling up the plant with the roots intact and by cutting the stem to harvest.
I wondered if you had to harvest early in the outdoors to beat the rain, does pulling the plant up by the roots allow it to continue sending sugars to the flowers as it hangs upside down even after it is uprooted.
Can the plant keep maturing aeroponically after it is uprooted.
Is it best to always cut the stem to harvest?
I’ve seen white calyxes goes red a week after harvest when the roots were kept intact and the plants were hung in a dark place. Is that normal anyway?

Any thoughts?

P.S. I had a seven footer that was almost impractical to pull up by the roots this year.

Avoiding falling dirt on buds

I aim to harvest when the air and soil are at their driest and then the dirt can be brushed off the roots quickly before the plant is hung to dry.

supposedly, the roots themselves - as any part of the plant- will have certain benefits. It has never been worth it for me to find out though. besides- isnt it better to leave them in the soil, so it can sequester carbon and feed the wee ones?

I usually chop individual branches off and hang them on a rack by clothing hangers.. I’m looking to improve my initial dry before going in jars and I may try out drying the plant as a whole this go around.

I always sharp cut the stem, because dirt falling from roots on the plant „issue“.

Once the plant is dry somewhat-after week or so, I cut individual branches, and then wait till full dry for trimming each bud for jarring.

I found out, it is better to keep leafs on plant, they help to slow down drying process.

Is it wiser to harvest cannabis by cutting the stem or by uprooting it?
I’ve harvested cannabis by pulling up the plant with the roots intact and by cutting the stem to harvest.
I wondered if you had to harvest early in the outdoors to beat the rain, does pulling the plant up by the roots allow it to continue sending sugars to the flowers as it hangs upside down even after it is uprooted.
Can the plant keep maturing aeroponically after it is uprooted.
Is it best to always cut the stem to harvest?
I’ve seen white calyxes goes red a week after harvest when the roots were kept intact and the plants were hung in a dark place. Is that normal anyway?

Any thoughts?

P.S. I had a seven footer that was almost impractical to pull up by the roots this year.
I never pull a plant
I plan on smoking since dirt does not smoke well and it won’t come off a sticky plant.
I use tree lopers to cut the entire plant down unless she is to big. In that case I cut it down a section at a time. Usually having some assistance from someone.
Dirt on sticky bud sucks.
I hang the plant until the fan leaves will snap cleanly from the branches.
I then take the plant apart removing the buds , leaving the carcass.
The flowers go into a plastic bag and sealed/burped/seal/burped…until all moisture and gassing has been removed from flowers.
At this point I seal bag inside secondary container for airtight secure storage.
Carcass is shredded in a chipper and composted and fed to worms, worms make castings, castings are removed annually and placed back into flower beds in spring.
Repeat👍

I never pull a plant
I plan on smoking since dirt does not smoke well and it won’t come off a sticky plant.
I use tree lopers to cut the entire plant down unless she is to big. In that case I cut it down a section at a time. Usually having some assistance from someone.
Dirt on sticky bud sucks.
I hang the plant until the fan leaves will snap cleanly from the branches.
I then take the plant apart removing the buds , leaving the carcass.
The flowers go into a plastic bag and sealed/burped/seal/burped…until all moisture and gassing has been removed from flowers.
At this point I seal bag inside secondary container for airtight secure storage.
Carcass is shredded in a chipper and composted and fed to worms, worms make castings, castings are removed annually and placed back into flower beds in spring.
Repeat👍
That is best a Farmer can do !

I’ve never harvested a cannabis plant this way, but maybe I will try it… but I’ve grown and harvested a few types of plants for their roots, and it’s better to rinse the medium/soil from their roots than to pull them from the media. Even a camphor tree can be taken with just a hose and a shovel. Digging a trench around a tree, and then rinsing the soil with a hose, can preserve delicate roots.

My mom is pretty old, she was a young hippie in the earliest days and taught me so many things. She hurt her foot recently and, although it was just tissue damage, her high arches made a boot impossible. The only relief she’s had during the recovery has been from a cannabis cream, but one made from the roots of the plant.

I remember blasting (butane) some cannabis roots in 2003, and that the material didn’t really have a lot of punch, but that it was very much loaded with subtle energy just waiting for some brick to unlock.

If only i had understood the steam distillation of terpenes … or maybe even the use of ethanol to capture terpenes such as limonene and how gin fueled the queens navy long before any ethanol engine fired… maybe cannabis roots wouldn’t be so ‘underground’ still

Attachments

• 3253A96F-39DC-459D-BDEF-CBE94127BFC6.jpeg
    3253A96F-39DC-459D-BDEF-CBE94127BFC6.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 3
Back