Guy Burns house down with grow op in Ohio

Don't overload your power rails.
In Australia we use 240v.
Houses have 14 amp power rails.
10 in older wiring.
I think USA is 120v, with 28/20 amp rails.

1000w of equipment uses 4 amp at 240v, or 8@120v.
(Watt/voltage=amperage.)

Don't sustain more than 70% output.
Most houses have multiple rails.
If you want to grow large, use chords to bring power from different parts of your house to the grow.

Don't grow large in old houses.

Don't overload powerboards.
Like plugging multiple lights into a cheap board.

Don't run multiple lights off single timers.

Don't under estimate ancillary power usage from blowers or dehumidifiers portable air conditioners.

Basically power control.

If you use 400v , like DE lights. Don't coil the chord as it will turn into a heating element

Don't let your reflectors ignite.

That's a bit for you.

Hi guys,

I hate hearing stories of grows gone up in smoke, literally.
Yeah... so.... electricity is simple but extremely dangerous when some basic principles aren’t followed.
Vlad, you are mostly right :)
Let me inject some words as a licensed electrician and veteran building maintenance / builder professional-

Never use a non grounded receptacle (outlet) for something like a HPS light with a very high staring load. Generally, Avoid non grounded/earthed receptacles whenever possible. Before using a receptacle to power a high load, pull it out and check that the wiring is sound and connections are very tightly made. Arcing is very dangerous when it comes to old style breakers. A GFCI/AFCI can be your best friend and savior in the often rough conditions of a grow.

I do not recommend extension cords to power much more than a fan or something... the best choice for big power is a dedicated circuit with established and secured, properly run, rated for load, shielded cable,,,or wires in conduit. There are metal shielded cables, thick rubber, nylon and many more.
Running on 2phase power is much more efficient when trying for a large grow. Running the lower amps is much easier on all components. Here in the US and everywhere else in the world, 208/230/240 volt can be had with the right configuration of wiring and control devices.

For those of us in legal states:
Keep in mind that even though your plant count may be legal, you must also be sure that you are adhering to local building/fire codes. Not only is this a good idea for safety, it’s also good if you ever end up with law enforcement or any other government member in your house... best that you don’t look like some meth head with extension cords all over.
Never use temporary power as your long term line source. It’s just a bad idea for several reasons.

Additional thoughts include- never trust old equipment that you don’t know the history of. Extreme heat kills most residential grade electrical equipment.

When it comes to timing lights; Heavy cycle light timers are a better choice than the plug in timers you can get with your xmas decorations but do need to be hard wired.

Lastly- I know sooooo many electricians that enjoy cannabis. Feeling out the electricians in your area is your best bet if you are uncomfortable ... when in doubt, don’t play with electricity if you don’t really know what you’re doing.

Stay safe everyone :cool:

Sparky checking in:)

Nice write up Jake and Vlad some solid points made.

heres an horor pic i would like to share, people should reconsider if they recognize this as something in their home, or worse having this in your grow room lying on the floor, or hanging it in the air pulling on the chords creating tension in the outlets and getting higher resistances that brings overloading and arcing.
verlengsnoer.jpg

i would like to add, never coil any power wires period.
Use a relay for switching power to light systems. the relay gets his power from the timer. these are for sale pre builded in a box timer, relay, outlet.
Davin_DV12_ml.png

Don't overload your power rails.
In Australia we use 240v.
Houses have 14 amp power rails.
10 in older wiring.
I think USA is 120v, with 28/20 amp rails.

1000w of equipment uses 4 amp at 240v, or 8@120v.
(Watt/voltage=amperage.)

Don't sustain more than 70% output.
Most houses have multiple rails.
If you want to grow large, use chords to bring power from different parts of your house to the grow.

Don't grow large in old houses.

Don't overload powerboards.
Like plugging multiple lights into a cheap board.

Don't run multiple lights off single timers.

Don't under estimate ancillary power usage from blowers or dehumidifiers portable air conditioners.

Basically power control.

If you use 400v , like DE lights. Don't coil the chord as it will turn into a heating element

Don't let your reflectors ignite.

That's a bit for you.

Wow you guys blew my mind with all this hard won knowledge .I am digesting your post then on to the next few equally as insightful. Thank you it's some serious knowledge here could save a Mr.Nice guys life. ( I live in a old house wouldnt have even thought 2 times. Too bad for our fellow brave green soldier he was charged F5 for growing . Ohio sucks ,draco empire. Mr Nice lives in a betterland to the rescue tho thank u !

Good luck there.
On yesterday's news, someone burned a house in Brisbane, and they found a large grow there.
More common than you'd wish.

Back