G13 x Afghan Haze testers

Hey 519! Little balls of highly charged enzymatic activity. Watch the heat. I have used heat to launch in my cold shed. Thermometer is helpful. Forceps as a nut cracker for plan B. Some seeds just take longer to hatch and those seeds might get waterlogged or pick up viruses while germinating (a little bleach helps). While I have used paper towels before, I do not use peat pots mainly due to cost and my desire to KIS. Someone has already said this- soak in water, once they crack stick them in lightly pre-moistened soil, put a hood on them, add heat and light AND what will be, will be. Lots of ways to skin the cat and I am not sayin anything you braddahs do not already know. What I do know for sure is that we are all crazy about growing! No worries, just trust the process.

Aloha nui
M

That's been my philosophy for a long time, but it doesnt mean there arent still challenges. I'm working with some old sensi star f2s that I made a decade ago.... unfortunately they weren't able to be stored properly for that entire length of time, and I'm paying for it. Getting 50ish percent germination, but half of those dont fo anything beyond the earliest phase of germ. The ones that pull through, are showing some mutated leaves at the first two nodes, but seem to be correcting their growth pattern slowly. I've got more of those old seeds to play with, but I expect them to be equally challenging

Sorry for the detour, just felt like it was relevant

Anyone who cooks understands the importance of fresh ingredients.

Challenge is what makes it fun dont you think? I too have had experiences similar to yours. Working with plants is very fulfilling and the learning never stops IMHO. Thanks for the help up. It is great when we can help each other.

Aloha
M

So the beans were a little slow to germ but super fast breaking ground all testers that isaoked are now above ground and in solo cups in my veg tent got a couple of my cuts in there as well which include the mac f1 by capulator which is the big one in the corner lemon og, fruity pebbles og and ripped bubby

I'm really excited to get these started and make my selections if I can find a suitable male I may hit my blueberries with it and possibly a couple others as well

All the solo cups in the top row seedlings are the g13 x afghan haze

So far the 4th from the right top row is my favourite the first one in the row has some strange leaf twisting going on but other than that they're all happened healthy and growing

Some of the other strains in my veg tent are training day, fruity pebbles og, lemon og, the mac and abazaba

Attachments

• IMG_20181113_015235_866.jpg
    IMG_20181113_015235_866.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 14
I tried to germ the 10 Nirvana PPP I had from almost 20 years ago that were never stored properly (just loose seeds in a Nirvana pouch, original packaging. Stored mostly dark and at room temp but no control over temps or humidity).

Anyway, 0 of 10 germinated. They sunk fine after pre-soaking in water, then I just left them in the paper towel for 2 weeks and checked once in a while. In the end, mold was growing around the seeds and I threw them away.

I think next time I do something like this with seeds that are, for whatever reason, expected to have trouble germinating, I will definitely scuff them with sandpaper pre-emptively. And if they don't germinate within a week, I will take them out of the paper towels and try to slice them open with a scalpel or help them any way I can.

Anyway, on to the testers:
They look absolutely great.
The Blueberries are by far the slowest, least vigorous plants of the bunch. They are weeks behind by now. Not in overall height but the secondary node development ...
Also, all of the Blueberries exhibited massively hollow stems. I mean really, really hollow. Definitely a characteristic that Mike has selected towards. I hope this means the desired terpene richness as many surmise.

The Crumbled Lime are trucking away and a hand full of them remain the frontrunners but some of the original, old G13xSkunk have caught up to them! Also, while the Crumbled Lime are a mix of outstanding frontrunners and runty last place types (talking all observable vigor in the veg phase at the moment), the G13xSkunk are frontrunners across the bank. Might be an outlyer in there, some single runty one but almost all of them are looking real nice.

The King Mambas have one or two good looking plants, the rest are lagging behind or runts.

And now to the G13xAfHz testers:
They were planted a week behind the rest.
The frontrunner of them is now on par with the frontrunners from Crumbled Lime and G13xSkunk!
That plant might be something special, male or female. Just the vigor on that one. Beautiful growth and node spacing to boot, looks pretty much like a winner already.
The remaining testers all look very nice and vigorous. Some have caught up and no longer look a week but just a few days behind the ones that were planted a week earlier than them. And the runt and least vigorous plants look on pace.

I have topped all plants that were large enough to use the top as a clone (able to go 2 nodes down from the top and still have enough developed growth for the plant to continue growing), about a week or two ago. Only the frontrunner from the testers was ready to be topped/cloned at that point.
The remaining testers will be topped this week.
Some of the King Mambas and Blueberries will still not be ready to be topped/cloned by that time ...

After topping the plants, I started some bondage and tied down the 2 tops that developed for the rest of the plant to catch up.

I am liking the results so far. After a good month of veg, the plants are still no higher than the pots and much wider/bushier than I ever had them in the past.

The new soil mix also seems good, all plants look healthy (safe for 2 of the blueberries who look a little light greenish, like they are missing nitrogen or sth).

Overall, things are moving along well, just always so slow veging in organic soil... But the results are very promising.

This weekend I plan to see if I can sucessfully sex the first plants and start transplanting into 5 gal pots where I would train and veg them for another week or two before flipping to flower.

Will also get a few snapshots finally ...

All the best to you all

Broseidon

Broseidon, the mold will keep happening if you're going 2 weeks or so in paper towels, which will never help. For the future, I'd definitely recommend the scuffing of old seeds, but also putting them in a small amount of grow media to germ vs towels.... at least for old deeds you expect might take a while.

Where the mold ruined the seed after time, the soil has a much higher chance to allow the seed to maintain integrity and keep trying. 2+ weeks isnt that uncommon with truly old, hardened seeds, especially if some are dried too far (they will mold faster, ruining the others in the towel with them)

Afternoon gents,
Not to stray too far off topic here, but I tend to agree with Amoril on this one. I have been preaching the plant directly in *a medium* routine to friends who are new to growing for a couple years now. The internet perpetuates the popularity of the paper towel germination method.... This method was in fact designed to do no more than test the germination viability of seeds before spending time actually planting another, larger group.

I'm not saying there aren't situations where this method is warranted, I just think 90% of the time it's not.

Ok, off my soap box.

Looking forward to some pics of your tester group Broseidon, you thorough devil you. :)

Looking good 519O!!

I know you fine folks must be getting tired of all my updates without pictures but I still want to share what I found yesterday because it got me all giddy :D

So I am currently training the veglings quite a bit. Tying them down again and again, not really proud of it but I have opted for a sort of swastika format in how I tie them down.
Looking good to me, learning a lot about how to train the plants through tying them down etc.

They are definitely super low and bushy this time around with these methods, very stoked. I think I will use a trellis net for the first time this run.

Anyway, my discovery that has me all giddy:
The G13xAfHz tester frontrunner, coincidentally dubbed GA1, is an absolute beast.
I had previously tied down all plants that were large enough (only the GA1 from the testers was) for the first time after topping and yesterday went in to tie them down a second time after they had all propped up again (starting to tie them in the swastika pattern).
While I did this, I was starting to look out for signs of pre-flowers because I don't think I can keep them in the 1 gal veg pots much longer (first plants are showing signs of yellowing from the bottom). I believe most plants have completely rooted through the pots by now as well.

Anyway, I was unable to determine the sex on any plants yet when my eyes spotted two beasters in the middle of the room. One, to my surprise was a King Mamba from Karma Squad. But it just grew very nice and reacted very well to the topping and initial tie down and wasn't as impressive after all when I lifted it up. No preflowers visible either.

But that second beaster was the GA1. And when I lifted it up and inspected it more closely, not only did it react insanely well to the topping and tying down, really growing in the cup shape that everyone desires, the two lower nodes having caught up perfectly with the two tied down tops and having 4 true tops of almost equal size, all the lower nodes also caught up. It is just an absolutely stunning and beautiful plant that, from the veging stand point, has left over 30 other plants far in its shadow. And it was planted a full week after all but the other GA testers!

AND
AND
AND

It has clearly showing and 100% female preflowers.

It has all the smells to boot, very fragrant.

This is going to be the one, I can feel it.

Again, this plant was planted a full week behind all the rest (safe for the other testers) and has clearly outperformed every single plant in the room, it is just overall better than all others at this point and it is a full week younger. This bodes very well.

Tied her down a second time like the rest and if I can determine enough preflowers from other veglings, I can transplant it to the 5gal pots along with the other females this coming weekend.
Then another week or two of veg and then we flip.

Also need to cut clones again sometime in between.
My rhizopon has apparently turned bad and from almost 30 clones taken during topping of the plants, only 4 made any roots, the rest rotted.
Waiting for some clonex atm and will do another batch of clones when I transplant to the 5 gal smartpots.

Pictures coming then, might not do pics of the whole chamber but definitely of the GA1 and maybe some other outstanding plants. There are a few good lookers and also a few that were very citrusy/lemony on the stem rub.

I also am coming more and more to the conclusion that the Blueberries from peak are just not happy in my environment. They all don't look so great (while the rest of the plants, safe for some runts, are doing great).
It seems they are all missing nutrients in one way or another. Two of them are still quite light green and seem overall hungry for nutes, another one has brown spots on lower leafs that lead me to believe its missing Magnesium...

I bet MikeJ simply grows completely different from me. Probably very heavy on the nutes and stuff and not organic. I bet these would do a lot better in hydro or just with bottled nutes overall ...

Not sure how to fix this. I hope when I transplant them to the 5gal smartpots, they will have enough nutrients in the soil to perk back up. For now I cling to the hope that there is just not enough soil in the 1 gal pots to satisfy them..

Ok, I promise to upload some pics soon.

Broseidon out

Last edited:
Hey braddahs! What's happening in this corner these days? Any word? Thanks for keeping us posted. Shaka M

Massive training and bondage continues.

I topped off the soil in some containers. I hadn't noticed but some of the 1 gal containers were just filled half way. So the plants grew quite well for sitting in 1/2 a gallon of soil ...

Anyway, I keep training them in the swastika pattern and have very bushy and lush growth. But lower nodes are beginning to yellow.

I think at most until end of this week and I need to transplant to 5 gal pots.
I hope by then the plants show their sex more clearly. Aside from the frontrunner of the testers, I wasn't able to determine sex on an other plant yet.

Once transplanted to 5 gal smart pots, they will be given another week or two of veg before flipping to flower. Will see if I train them more in those 1-2 weeks (have velcro strips ready to tie them to the fabric pots) or if I let them grow into their new pots naturally.

After that it looks like I will install a trellis net this time around and let them go into flower. Looking forward to the results.

I know I promise pics all the time but I just got a decent camera so not much longer now. Probably will take pics when transplanting to 5 gal.

So just a little update for everyone the g13 x AH are doing really well still just getting water straight from the hose filtered through a camco rev filter

They will all probably get a tea comprised of alfalfa meal ewc kelp meal and molasses one week before I flip them and hopefully my soil will be able to sustain them through the flowering cycle, 10-12 week strains for sure but anything longer I may have to give some em1 or another mild tea

So far they’ve actually been stacking tighter than expected which is nice and I’m impressed with them thus far in veg

Attachments

• F38C6C51-5CAF-4A0D-85DD-57AFC2F2B1DD.jpeg
    F38C6C51-5CAF-4A0D-85DD-57AFC2F2B1DD.jpeg
    373.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 2274C939-2EBD-452A-A673-ACC39621C23F.jpeg
    2274C939-2EBD-452A-A673-ACC39621C23F.jpeg
    239.5 KB · Views: 9
Finished transplanting some of the g13ah plants today, so far they are all growing vigorously in the organic soil few more weeks and I can take cuts and get them into flower, o already have one in mind that I am watching carefully, much more indica dominant in the leaf structure,

So far there seems to be 3 main phenotypes just going by appearance in veg

2 sativa dominant strains both with thinner leaves but one has rediculous Lu large fans compared to the other, very interesting plant structures

And the other one is a very vigorous indica dominant phenotype which I believe would be from the g13 genetics, which is the one I’ll be keeping a close eye on, as I have t had a proper g13 in a very long time

I will put up some individual phenotype pics up shortly

Attachments

• 3B81087F-0FB2-4E96-9BC3-7BDE6ED5EF69.jpeg
    3B81087F-0FB2-4E96-9BC3-7BDE6ED5EF69.jpeg
    304.7 KB · Views: 15
Nice to see the progress brah! Looks like you are going to have a very full tent in the coming months. Much success braddah!

Aloha
M

Haha it’s is starting to get crowded, I’m just waiting for. Ynother tent to clear out then will be throwing half in each transplanting to 7 gallon containers and flipping

I took a large cut off the top of each plant tonight, and threw them into the clone dome, which should give me a cutting off of each and bring the lowers up on par with the rest of the tops, it’s kind of a weird way of doing it but I’ve had pretty good success this way

I will be checking on them in the morning to see how they have responded and will post pictures in a week or so, o have also stripped some of the larger fans that were blocking light down below

Again very pleased with this strain overall they are my favourites in veg right now, I have one very sativa dominant “runt” as it’s a little slower in growth and surprisingly more squat than the more indica Dom phenos, with very long thin fans, I am really curious to see how these react when I send them to the flower tent

Looking forward to the others updates

So I put the 2 very afghan haze dominant plants to flower tonight in 3 gallon pots, in hopes of controlling the stretch a little, the afghan haze doms have massive fan leaves and are slightly crinkled actually quite cool looking, the indica Dom plants will be veggies for a little while longer

Pocs will follow shortly

Happy new year Bros and Brodettes!

Still haven't taken pics :D

But got myself a new good camera over christmas so good pics incoming finally :D

I flipped the (hopefully mostly girls) into flower on NYE. So 3 days going now.
Will take pics to document late veg this weekend and then come up with first flower shots in a week or two.

Couple notes:
My main flowering chamber only holds one G13xAfHz at the moment, the GA1 which was furthest developed from all, even though it was planted a full week later than the rest.
The GA1 is still among the frontrunners in the flowering chamber and definitely female.

The remaining G13xAfHz are either in my small flowering chamber (315w CMH) which is still running 18/6 light cycle as I want to veg the plants a bit longer in the 5 gal pots.

Basically I put the largest and most developed into 5 gals first and put them in the 630w CMH flower chamber and started flowering them after 2 weeks of veg in 5 gals. Everything that was a bit smaller still, went into the small flower chamber with 315w CMH and is still vegging, gonna get flipped in a week or two.

In the meantime the males/females in the big flower chamber will have shown their sex 100% (they were quite mature when I flipped them on NYE and I would say it looks like around 80% female or so, seems I was quite lucky again).
Anyway, once sex is shown, the males will be discarded (one of the potential males looks really good veg-wise though, might keep that one, a crumbled lime male) and "open slots" will be refilled with plants from the small flower chamber. The empty spots in the small flower chamber will then be refilled with potential females left over in the veg chamber (a few G13xAfHz among those still).

So this time around I am looking into something more of a perpetual setup, where I just naturally let things progress and skip the pre-sexing/pre-flowering stage to determine sex and just replace males with new female candidates as we go along. Let's see how that works out for me...

One thing that worries me a bit at the moment is that in 2 weeks, the 5 gal smartpots seem to be completely rooted through already ... When I let them dry out in between waterings and lifted the pots to defoliate and topdress some more soil before flipping to flower, I could see roots breaking out of the top layer of soil and the soil all around being rock solid (because I assume it is almost completely roots).
I am a bit worried that I should have flipped them directly after transplanting to the 5 gal pots... Hope there is enough soil left for them to flower without issues...
Also, because I kept them so low, kept topping and low stress training them, they look a lot bushier than in my past rounds but are also much closer to the soil... Meaning I am having trouble to water them below the leaf-line. Hope they will shoot up a bit more in the coming weeks so I can get below the foliage to water. Otherwise it's going to be tricky to water them without hitting leafs/buds ...

One big issue I ran into:
Cloning, yet again...
My DIY aero cloner works fine but is leaking... The water keeps getting pushed out the sides of the lid. At first I thought "ah, doesn't matter, just a few drops here and there, I have the pond liner on the ground, should take a lot of water to fill that up".
But alas, after about an hour, my floor was swimming in water and I had to shut it down...
The veg chamber is not 100% even and the water quickly accumulated in one corner, until it overflew and yeah, big mess (and a reminder why Hydroponics and automated watering scares me :D)...

My hope is now that I can fix the aero cloner this week still (want to just lay a silicone "sausage" around the rim and press down the lid. Fortunately for me, the rim of the aero cloner box is not adhering/sticking to silicone. While the lid of the cloner box is of a rougher plastic and the silicone sticks.
So my hope is I can just spread a sausage of silicone on the rim, press down the lid and then it will adhere to the lid but not the rim of the box. Leaving me with a hopefully, tight closing lid that won't leak.

If that fails, I will just have to give the rockwool cubes a go before the plants are too far along in flower. AFAIK I can still clone without issues until about 2 weeks of flower, right?. Hope the cubes will work with just tap water ...

Anyway, like I said, GA1 just went into flower 3 days ago and the remaining GAs are still in veg, either in 5gal smart pots or in 1 gal pots.
And good pics are coming .... :D

Last edited:
I will be finally starting mine in about a week. Setting up new space has been a task.

I start flowering my other plants today. 2 to 3 months for them.

Ill be doing the afg haze testers with clones taken from my other room.

Will most likely be staying in the 5gal buckets. Which I would like to put them into the 20's I have but not enuff room in my grow space Ill be using a vegan fert the whole way.

Ill post pics in 2 weeks....thx for the patience!

Back