EQ Out West

newhoppyguy

First off I would love to thank Shanti and the crew at MNS for the work they have done to make this and all my other grows possible!! Secondly I would love to thank everyone else in the forum that has helped by either posting their own threads or by answering the many pm’s I have sent asking newbie questions!!
Now time to get down to work! I am new to this so please any mistakes or advice feel free to correct me. Any questions I will do my best to answer the best I can but I am just learning myself. This season I will be growing EQ, Master Kaze, Ash and Walkabout outdoors at 42 degrees N. I am hoping to find what will grow best here. That being the case it will only be small samples of each 3-6 of each. Not much for a pheno hunt but enough so I can have at least one of each hopefully. On April 4 I started a 24 hour soak on 3 EQ freshly won from the auction. No seed pack just the straw. At 16 hours I had my first baby crack open and say hello to the world by 24 hours they had all split!
They then were planted into a mixed soil I use for all my potted plants. It is made up of about 35% native soil, 25% peat, 15% steer manure, 10% chicken manure, 5% mushroom compost, 5% homemade backyard compost, 5% vermiculite. This was all mixed last fall and left to cook over the winter.
The plan is to baby these till the weather warms up enough to not have to worry about them freezing. I hope to replant once before I plant out in mid-late may. They are set outside to soak up the sun that we have been getting (60’s-70’s days) and being covered at night as temps have still been dropping to high 20’s low 30’s. So far they are loving life and just pluggin right along. I will be post pics as I often as I can. More to come as they get more interesting!

Ash (left) EQ (right)
051_zpsf6bc507a.jpg.html

Walkabout
053_zps76971486.jpg.html

Kaze
054_zps60fca973.jpg.html

Quick update one more week down and nothing has changed really they are still alive and kicking! They are putting on their 2nd node now! I have to say at this point they all look pretty uniform but I figure there should be a few phenos in these, maybe they will show later? Anyway I will update again next week hopefully I will have not killed them yet lol. Thanks to everyone that has checked this out so far.

K so another quick update still alive and kickin. We have had a lot of cloud cover around here so not much growth really. The weather will be back up in the 70-80s and sunshine this next week, so we will just have to see what they do. Quick question to anyone that has grown outdoors tho, I am just curious the average height that I might expect from these left un-topped and set into the ground? Again thanks for everyone checking this out and for any input you all can give!

Happy Mothers day everyone!!!!

Well into week 5 now I managed to keep them alive this long , some yellowing issues and a bit of heat stress on 1 of them but all in all they are doing awesome!!! I do have to say these all have fairy similar growth patterns so far and the node spacing is what looks to me as very tight ½ in I would say at the most. They have received their first dose of nutes this week and seem to be enjoying them. I have another 3-4 weeks till I put them in the ground but for right now they are in 1 ½ in pots do any of you think that I will need to repot before the transplant into their finally planting spot? Thanks again for all you help and checking out this thread!!

I have grown outdoors for over thirty years and I still do the initial stages the same as I did when I was 15... and copying my dad who was a commercial flower grower.

I raise seedlings in seed raising mix then transplant into PB3/4 (hold 3/4 litre mix) at earliest opportunity. I use ANY quality potting mix. I used to make my own but there was no real advantage.

You can hold them in PB3/4 for months if you really, really have to. If you think you might have to then add slow release fertiliser granules.

I transport to the site in PB3/4 and always leave them in pots for a few weeks at the spot just to adjust, harden up and just to see what... if anything... eats or steals them.

You can tell when they're ready to plant out just by looking at them. They get that tough hardy look instead of that soft rapid growth look. Usually about 6 -12 inches high when I plant out.

I'd say 75% of seedlings look very similar as you noted. It's only when you mix sativas with indicas and dark green with yellow green plants that you notice huge differences in seedlings.

Some strains have very similar phenotypes across several strains until they flower... others will start diversifying the bigger they get.

You can see the PB3/4 on my grow thread at:

https://www.mrnice.nl/forum/12-outdoor/11813-haze-outdoors-2013-2014-a.html

scrubdog

Thanks scrub!!

thank you so much scrub i will have to give that a shot next run!! i still have them growing strong and seem to be enjoying life they got put in the shade a bit for security so they have stretched some. sry no pics still i had a minor issue when i broke my wrist getting out to one of my plots. it has made things a bit more interesting but i hope to have everything back on track soon with pics to prove life soon lol thanks to everyone again

Back