Critical Widow Journal

Introduction

Welcome to my CW journal!

These 22 Critical Mass x Black Widow seeds were a very nice gift from Shantibaba as a prize for winning the July 2011 BOTM contest.

25324d1313103257-mango-haze-selection-small-spaces-pic_2266.jpg

This will be my 2nd go-around with the selection process. Here are some things I will focus on in this journal based on the things I learned from that round:

-Waited too long to top the seedlings. If I had topped them ASAP, I would have been able to take 2 clones instead of 1 from each plant and it would have kept the plants shorter in their maturity.

-Flowered too many different pheno's at once. I could have hardly known with my experience at the time but this time I will use classification as a weapon against individuality.

-Multiple plants per container. One of the reasons it was difficult to classify the pheno's was because I couldn't move the plants around. I'm converting my veg area from multi-site hydro units to rockwool cubes/containers.

-Labeling. I had some mix-ups because I kept changing the names of the plants. First I numbered them, then I gave them names and some plants got nicknames after that. This made my labeling useless and only introduced a potential for mistakes.

-Kept a sloppy journal. MH:SISS was a success as far as documenting my learning process as well as the plant but I often got off subject and I'd like to make this journal a little easier to find the info that applies to the title. I will add and update a "Progressive Table Of Contents" to the first post in an effort to keep the info tidy and leave plenty of room for chit-chat and musical interludes.

Given these points for improvement, I anticipate things to go much smoother with less effort in less time. There are also other improvements that I am making as a cultivator that I didn't mention because they don't apply to the title but I'm sure they'll come up at some point. All in all I have a good feeling that these plants will be a good show.

Special thanks to Shantibaba, Neville and MNS for hosting this forum and BOTM contest. Thank you Billy Boy for doing the work on BOTM and for sharing your CW grow as well.

Peace!

Pre-Germination Classification

These seeds contain 2 distinct groups so I thought to see if there is any association with seed characteristics and phenotype with this cross.

attachment.php

After 24 hrs of soaking in a warm, pH 5.6 water, all of the seeds have sank to the bottom and a few in Group A are starting to crack open.

Peace.

Attachments

• cwgroupab.JPG
    cwgroupab.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 1,472
Last edited:
These seeds contain 2 distinct groups so I thought to see if there is any association with seed characteristics and phenotype with this cross.

attachment.php

After 24 hrs of soaking in a warm, pH 5.6 water, all of the seeds have sank to the bottom and a few in Group A are starting to crack open.

Peace.

thats neat thinking , im glad your trying this :cool:

thats neat thinking , im glad your trying this :cool:

I tried it with the Mango Haze but every single plant was different so there were no conclusions other than very different looking seeds produced very different looking plants. The 2 distinct groups of seeds that I have here will hopefully be more conclusive.

Peace.

good luck cannatari,
I'm sure this will be a good show..
Lovely smoke, so hope you enjoy. I do....lol
Peace
BL

Thanks, Billy Boy. I like that one of your pheno's was CM buds with BW smoke. Yup, like that allot. That was probably what finally pushed me to crack these.

This will be my first time with either line, BTW. All advice appreciated!

Peace.

LOL! Cheers, Sensi.

It would appear that I have 100% germination on the CW! I had to apply some pressure to a few of the smaller Group B seeds to help them to open but everybody has a tail. The very smallest seed looks like it's struggling though. The best way I have found to open stubborn seed casings is to get the seed end-to-end between the side of the container that they're soaking in and the end of a chopstick. Push on the seed with the chopstick until you hear it crack. Most of the time the tail will pop right out as if it just did 2 days of germinating right before your eyes which is why I feel like this is a good technique. I used to use pliers to crack seeds but using the chopstick in the container insures that it won't fly across the room if I goof.

They went into peat pellets last night:

attachment.php

Fingers X'ed!

Peace.

Attachments

• PIC_2381.JPG
    PIC_2381.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 1,376
Game Over

I'm sorry to have to announce that all the CW seeds are dead. The water I soaked them in probably went rancid so I put dead seeds in the peat plugs.

I'll make it a point not to start any new journals until I have sprouts. My apologies for being a hack and killing good gear.

Peace.

Back