Broseidon's MkxSKs (2) - What y'all think?

Broseidon

So this is a double post of sorts since I already posted this in Broseidon's Corner in the Indoor section.

But I thought I put some info into the Strain Base and see what people think of my pheno.

Without further ado, here they are at ~42 days:

This is the Indica-leaning pheno, short and stout.
It has matured fastest of all plants so far and at center mass of the top cola has AT LEAST 50% orange/brown hairs/pistils. Was close to chopping it already when I checked the trichs and discovered no amber, mostly clear, a few cloudy.
So it looks far advanced but still has time to ripen up.

The smell test revealed a truly disgusting odor. I had to pull my nose back the first time.
Something acrid, acidic, biting to the nose. At first I thought something along the lines of coffee but when I drove by a construction site this morning, I noted that the smell is much more close to tar.
When I spoke with ma gurl, I said the words "It smelled like old vomit" before thinking about it and was pleased at myself at how apt that description waas.

Really, really disgusting and off-putting. I frowned xD
Still, when I rubbed my hands after touching the bud, it had the well-known "weed smell" more than anything but smelling at the cola gave me that disgusting tar/vomit smell.
Let's see how she will smoke but certainly nothing sweet about it.

The Sativa-leaning pheno.
Can't say much about it so far aside from it being VERY sativa, foxtail buds and huge stretch and all.
Love the growth structure and all, no knowledge on smells etc. yet.
Let's see what comes from it.

...Was close to chopping it already when I checked the trichs and discovered no amber, mostly clear, a few cloudy.
So it looks far advanced but still has time to ripen up.

The smell test revealed a truly disgusting odor. I had to pull my nose back the first time.
Something acrid, acidic, biting to the nose. At first I thought something along the lines of coffee but when I drove by a construction site this morning, I noted that the smell is much more close to tar.
When I spoke with ma gurl, I said the words "It smelled like old vomit" before thinking about it and was pleased at myself at how apt that description waas.

Really, really disgusting and off-putting. I frowned xD
Still, when I rubbed my hands after touching the bud, it had the well-known "weed smell" more than anything but smelling at the cola gave me that disgusting tar/vomit smell.
Let's see how she will smoke but certainly nothing sweet about it...

Nice pics bro. Keep your lights a fair distance to minimize new pistil growth and finish. These indies can sometimes be off putting, smelling quite rank at times. It is amazing what a cure will do for this as well as taste and effect- tho I still have some bottles of acridness I can't argue with the toxicity :p You will find earth and coffee here. It is an excellent alternative to the sweet smelling varieties (botanicare esters?) which I've longed grown tired of. I love this variety!

Cool runnin braddah
M

baby shit smell is one I often find in indy doms pre cure. That sat lady looks nice. Old MK from 80s always had a very distinct flavor but not a foul one. The highs tended to be pretty mellow for me but always good yielders.

Looking good Broseidon, MK can have some unique smells what sets it apart is the quality of the high. Killer.
You are developing well grasshopper...

Chopped the indy pheno.

Didn't manage to take pics. Hands got all gooey from taking off the big fan-leaves, couldn't be bothered to keep taking the gloves on and off :D

Smells as rank as ever but in the drying chamber the Critical Mass seems to dominate the smell.

Looks very pretty if you ask me, cola the size of my forearm. Dense and thick, just a little lacking frost-wise. Let's see how long until I can trim her up and put her in the curing jar.

The Sat pheno is developing some brown hairs but is still a ways from finishing. Looks like it will go 70+ days. Getting really fat, had to tie up her cola a second time as it was leaning over even though it was already on a leash.

Can't increase distance from light unfortunately. Thing got too tall :D

Damn some guys have all the fun :D
I'm sitting here watchin Shogun's Assassin and drooling thinking about the MKS.
Smooth, earthy, satisfying full smoke reminds me of Yenidje

Aloha brah
M

Bros,

since I chopped 3 of the plants, I have more space now and could better reach the tall pheno of MKS and looked at it under the microscope.
Mostly cloudy, still lots of clear heads though.

But when I rubbed my fingers over the microscope to roughly wipe off the resin from touching the plant, I was really pleasantly surprised.

The plant has developed a strong and pronounced and very pleasant smell!
The first thing that came to my mind was "sweet and fruity" but that wasn't quite it.
Something like Wintergreen Altoids I would say!

But pleasant, on the sweet side definitely. My most favorite smell so far from this round, by far!

Really snuck up on me as she was so far in the corner and developed smell late but woah, this might be the actual keeper from this round.
I men the plant is going definitely above 63 days, likely about 70 but holy moly that plant was on par with the CM veg wise and the bud development has been superior to all plants, just taking much longer. She will yield the most, by far.

And now the smell is coming through so awesomely. Really looking forward the most of all to this plant now. Even the C99 E is not as interesting to me anymore. I mean it is still packed with resin and all, the side-buds are now twisting from weight but there is almost no smell. If you rub the resin between your fingers it smells like your average "weed" smell but nothing pronounced and when you take your nose to the plant, nothing. Kind of like gras or something ,very neutral.

The MKS A (sativa pheno) smells awesome through and through and the resin production is there too and the side buds are large and omg I love this plant.
Can't wait for it.

Nice dude!

I was secretly rooting for that pheno. I can't wait to hear the smoke review! Even if it is later than the rest ;)

She certainly does look great in the picture above.

Keep up the good work

Jake

She's also really packing on the weight.

I would say the cola is double the size of the above pic by now.

Will take pics when I get around to it.

She's also really packing on the weight.

I would say the cola is double the size of the above pic by now.

Will take pics when I get around to it.

Nice MKS Broseidon! Did you have anymore pics of these? Or get to sample some cured bud yet?

Id love to grow a massive seed run of this line and see what comes up.

Hey Bro,

I didn't get any more pics recently.
I lost the card I kept my pics on and have vowed to not take new pics till I find it :D

Did have plenty of chances to sample the dried and now cured buds though.

The indy pheno has kept its disgusting smell throughout the cure.
The effect is.... "standard indica" I would say. I actually noticed very few differences in the high across the plants. Most noticeable difference were the C99s. Both phenos were noticeably "weak" compared to the MRN strains...
Could call it a "day-time-high" or something I suppose but to me they just seemed "weaker".
Across the MRN plants, none really was noticeably more potent than the other. They all provided me with a similar buzz and couch lock high. I thought it depended more on my mood/form of the day than what bud I smoked.

The odor/aroma and the taste/flavor though...
So disgusting...
I still have almost all of it sitting in a jar. Just a few days ago I rolled another J from it.
And that smell just stays and doesn't go away and dominates everything.

I am kind of mad that I didn't keep a cut of her to be honest because this would be the perfect bud for a stealth grow and even for stealth consumption.
It smells nothing like weed. It really smelles like some herb/vegetable. Comfrey maybe or something like that.
I know that smell from my childhood, after a heavy rain, certain plants growing on the sidewalk would smell like that.

To me, it was entirely unpleasant so it was a no-brainer to not keep a cut. But I have had several people comment that they "can't believe this is weed". It looks like it, the effect is there but it smells and tastes nothing like it.
Definitely interesting but I can't bring myself to smoke it while I have other, tastier and better smelling, options.
Likely will turn the remainder into bubble hash.

The Sativa pheno was a whole other story:
It yielded the most out of any plant in the garden (close to 2 ounces, untrained, not topped etc. mind you).
The smell was divine on the plant, the best smell I ever experienced from weed. Like I said, something like wintergreen altoids or something. Definitely an artificial flavor, also reminds me of some chewing gum varieties. Sweet mint or something. I kept thinking "blue" when smelling it. Hard to describe but very, very pleasant with undertones of lemon/lime.

After trimming the first downside became apparent though:
The buds on this pheno foxtailed like crazy. Really extreme, no other plant was even similar. The trim was accordingly straining and difficult.
It quickly became apparent that these buds were anything but compact, extremely airy.
It reminded me of outdoor-bud when I was done. Not as airy and spindly but pretty damn close.
When the smell disappeared after hang drying, I was about ready to write the plant off.

However, the smell returned (albeit weaker then in late flower on the live plant) during the cure. The lemon/lime was more pronounced now but the other pleasant odors were still there. The jar I kept it in was by far the most pleasant jar to open. As soon as you popped the lid off, there was that amazing smell permeating the room.

The effect was akin to the other MRN plants. Slightly less couchlock than the CM and NLxSK but otherwise quite similar in potency etc.

I would call it solid standard.

If I didn't have the fungus gnat infestation, the sativa pheno might have been a candidate to try and cross to something like CM in order to obtain dense buds and hopefully carry on those amazing aromas and flavors.

I might still have a surviving clone of it, still unsure if I should save it if I do.

If nothing else, this plant has given me the first proof that "smells and tastes like bubblegum etc. do actually exist and are not just myths".

But it also showed me that most of "special taste" that people describe comes from the nose/through the olfactory senses. Which is closely tied into our sense of taste. But it is more the smell than any actual taste while smoking that people talk about, I believe.

Anyway:
Smell and taste wise these 2 plants were both the furthest away and the closest to my holy grail so far. Quite interesting.
Taught me a lot and gave me a lot of valuable experience and some decent stuff to puff on.

What I can say after this experience of mine is that MKS definitely seems to be a very terpy seedline that holds a wide spectrum of very pronounced and dominating odors and aromas.

It really surprised me that the two plants with the most pronounced smell by far both came from this seedline (with CM, NLxSK and C99 also being in the room). I had expected a pretty basic indica bud from it with bland terps.

Very positively surprised. The Skunk is strong in this one.

Stay frosty Bros

Sounds pudridly perfect!

How are you doing Broseiden? The aroma and flavor profile you described regarding your MasterkushSkunk with the Indica growth pattern sounds wonderful to me I am hopimg to find a similiar smelling Gal or Guy to breed with the stinkiesy SHIT plant I can find. I figure a pungent putrid smelling afgani hybrid crossed with the appropriate smelling pure Shit plant could create an interesting classic RKS type bud.

I am curoius, since the smelly indica MasterKush isn't your preffered cut, it must have sat in the jar curing for a while. Did it change much after curing longer, does it preserve well and have good shelf life?

-D840

Yes, it "survived" several months longer than all other cuts because it was my least preferred.

The smell did not go away. It smelled pretty much like on day 1 after several months.
I am sure there were subtle changes in aroma but you couldn't smell anything over the pungent, overshadowing camphor smell.

The smell did change several times throughout flower though. It went from tar and other types of smell (with the camphor smell in the background, always) until ultimately, close to harvest and throughout drying and curing, the camphor smell took over everything.

It turned out to be either one of the more potent indicas from that run or the longer cure did that, not sure.

Was the last jar I had left over from that round and I remember being repulsed by the smell after opening the jar after months, then coming around to being quite pleased with it after smoking.

But I kept thinking "this really smells/tastes the worst of everything I ever had, but the effect is indeed nice" ;)

Remember that I had the best smelling bud I ever had from the same strain, different pheno (sativa leaning) too though. So you will likely have to dig a bit.

But looking into indica leaning phenos, I am sure that stanky bro will pop up in one of them.

I doubt it is really RKS like or anything. It was really overwhelmingly camphor in the end. Just smelling like on of those unpleasant smelling road-side weeds you smell when walking through town after a recent rain.

Smells are so hard to describe in words ...

Last edited:
Indica Pheno

Thank you for your response Broseiden, very illuminating. My Thinking is that a stinky rotten-type smelling indica combined with a select shit plant will hopefully combine into something reminiscent of RKS. Actually I am very excited to try all of the different terpene profiles that can be found in MastekushSkunk. You got intrigued by the polar difference between your Indica leaning plant and your Sativa growing plant.

-D840

MKS is an all time favorite of mine! Dependable is what comes to mind. The skunk boosts the yield and the kush side is energetic and mellowing at the same time. Flavors and smells go from coffee to the bottom of the hamper with an occasional dirty diaper thrown in. Not as romantic as some of the "other" kush names but it is a must grow indie imj.

Aloha
M

Hello Musashi, how are you? Your description sounds great. I am really looking forward to growing out and experiencing the varied exspressions of MKS.
P.S. any experience.with MasterKaze?

-D840

Glad you asked big D! Reading your earlier thread, MasterKaze might be an excellent choice for you brah. I love the plant and the varied phenos available. I found serious indies as well as indies that had euphoria, with that bit if haze. You could breed like you say or you could take the time and select from exceptional plants with one pack of mkaze. Lots of gold here. Don't take my word for it as many fine growers here have shared their enthusiasm. Suggest reading grey man's thread on this because my views are very closely aligned and he sez it so much better than I can. I think many can agree that Shanti made a wonderful cross here.

Cool runnin braddah
M

Not bad for 40 seeds. Did the plants look like kush plants at all ? I wanna get some master kush seeds but everyone tells me mr nice seeds master kush skunk is master kush .

Back