Black Widow vs. Medicine Man

Vanamill

Hi everyone, thank you for taking the time to read my thread.

I am interested in growing either the Black Widow or Medicine Man, and I need a bit of help, and further information to make this decision.

Feel free to answer any of the questions I have, but please do your best to keep them intelligent and readable. Thanks!

Q1) Which is generally more potent - The Black Widow, or Medicine Man? However, take into consideration that to my understanding, the Medicine Man is more Indica influenced, and gives a somewhat more sedative body stone.

Q2) If I were to attempt to grow either of these strains in Queensland, Australia, what would be the best choice (yield, potency, mold resistence etc.?) Keep in mind, it tends to get pretty humid here, and can also be very hot.

Q3) Many breeders are selling White Widow and White Rhino seeds, but the listed THC/CBD content varies immensely. Some breeders state that they are 13%-16% (Greenhouse), where as some say these two strains are 20%+....I have even read 30%+ before. Where about would a well grown Mr. Nice Black Widow or Medicine Man range?

Hey MattyDee, I haven't run either of these 2 strains yet, but BW is, as the Jamaicans say, soon come. Thank you fer takin the time to start the thread :D

For the first question (and sort of the 3rd), both strains are legendary for potency, and most if not all of the strains that you saw listed with "THC %'s" are based off of the MrN hybrids in the first place. It really comes down to personal body chemisty combined with individual plant selection. I would advise you to select based on the 'type of high/flavor/plant'. For instance, I may find MedMan to affect me more, while someone else may be floored by the Widow. I personally find Shit to be VERY strong herb, and it is rarely mentioned (or Sk#1 for that matter) among the "high thc % plants". Lol no real answer from me, you just have to run one or both, and see what you like. I have run lotsa MrN plants, and have yet to find a female that is not special in her own way. The best plants are special in multiple ways :D

For the 2nd question, again, I haven't run these strains in particular, but as a rule, affies (or indica dominant hybrids) tend to be more prone to budrot and powdery mildew. Your best bet may be to flower a few different plants of ANY strain a few times indoors, and if possible use clones of the more 'resistant' plants. I should only have rot issues in freak years. Again, I found Shit to do very well - it finished early, and the spots where there WERE mold, it didn't seem to penetrate to the stem, saving the 'whole top'. I was able to cut most of it out rather easily.

For THC %'s as a whole...
IMHO, they are bullshit. Strictly a marketing gimmick, like a fancy name. Yes genetics are important in achieving a killer final product, but genetics alone mean nothing. Growing is like a chain - only as strong as it's weakest link. Envirnment, Light exposure, food, and love are also part of the chain. My best buds are outdoor, and by the time I have smoked them, they have been 1/2 way manhandled, and dropped in plastic bags, and hustled through the moonlit woods, and on the backseat of thecar for a ride, then they are taken back out to hang, then trimmed dry, cause I couldn't get em all wet... All of those moves knock off/damage trichs, and lower overall thc%. But because the envirnment and light exposure are way better in the ground in a sunny spot Vs. my grow room, the plants reach full potential. One of my all time fave smokes was outdoor Early Durban, and done indoors it was boring, with NONE of the flavor or complexity of the high. :D

I know that these are non answers, but I saw the thread dingledanglin out here, so I figgured I'd say my piece, lol :D

You can't go wrong with any MrN strain, IMO. They are ALL 'practical'.

Hey MattyDee, I haven't run either of these 2 strains yet, but BW is, as the Jamaicans say, soon come. Thank you fer takin the time to start the thread :D

For the first question (and sort of the 3rd), both strains are legendary for potency, and most if not all of the strains that you saw listed with "THC %'s" are based off of the MrN hybrids in the first place. It really comes down to personal body chemisty combined with individual plant selection. I would advise you to select based on the 'type of high/flavor/plant'. For instance, I may find MedMan to affect me more, while someone else may be floored by the Widow. I personally find Shit to be VERY strong herb, and it is rarely mentioned (or Sk#1 for that matter) among the "high thc % plants". Lol no real answer from me, you just have to run one or both, and see what you like. I have run lotsa MrN plants, and have yet to find a female that is not special in her own way. The best plants are special in multiple ways :D

For the 2nd question, again, I haven't run these strains in particular, but as a rule, affies (or indica dominant hybrids) tend to be more prone to budrot and powdery mildew. Your best bet may be to flower a few different plants of ANY strain a few times indoors, and if possible use clones of the more 'resistant' plants. I should only have rot issues in freak years. Again, I found Shit to do very well - it finished early, and the spots where there WERE mold, it didn't seem to penetrate to the stem, saving the 'whole top'. I was able to cut most of it out rather easily.

For THC %'s as a whole...
IMHO, they are bullshit. Strictly a marketing gimmick, like a fancy name. Yes genetics are important in achieving a killer final product, but genetics alone mean nothing. Growing is like a chain - only as strong as it's weakest link. Envirnment, Light exposure, food, and love are also part of the chain. My best buds are outdoor, and by the time I have smoked them, they have been 1/2 way manhandled, and dropped in plastic bags, and hustled through the moonlit woods, and on the backseat of thecar for a ride, then they are taken back out to hang, then trimmed dry, cause I couldn't get em all wet... All of those moves knock off/damage trichs, and lower overall thc%. But because the envirnment and light exposure are way better in the ground in a sunny spot Vs. my grow room, the plants reach full potential. One of my all time fave smokes was outdoor Early Durban, and done indoors it was boring, with NONE of the flavor or complexity of the high. :D

I know that these are non answers, but I saw the thread dingledanglin out here, so I figgured I'd say my piece, lol :D

You can't go wrong with any MrN strain, IMO. They are ALL 'practical'.

Thank you PatrickStar, your post helped a lot. I guess I could be considered quite primitive when it comes to smoking. It seems that most people on Marijuana forums rank taste highly, but where I live, potency, looks and being "hydro" are the main concerns.

It seems that most of the Mr. Nice strains have exotic qualities, so I guess I'll be getting the best of everything. I too agree that most of the THC percentages must be hype, and if they are not, then Mr. Nice genetics would have the potential to reach them.

As for the mold/bud rot, I am more interested in growing Sativa dominant plants, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. Although, strains (no name) that people have been growing around here for 20 years + are still vulnerable for mold, and I've seen it pretty bad firsthand.

I might take your advice and grow some "Shit" as well, it sounds pretty good. But Neville's Haze, SSH, MangoHaze, Medicine Man/Black Widow and Critical Mass are my priorities when it comes to "strains to get".

Cool :cool:

Yeah, if mold is a specific problem where you are, you need to address that in your strain selection. Mold sucks!!! :p I lost a decent bit of a BEAUTIFUL Spice cut to mold. It was mostly my fault, though. I should have gone an extra time or 2 and cut off spots of mold before they took over. My buddy was just STARING at all of the buds I was leaving in the bush when we cut em down :D
"You can't do ANYTHING with em?!?!?"
"Nope..."
"Can I have em???"
"Stop, dood. I'm giving you a QP of NON-molded but for helping, let it go...:D"

I'm not in a bad area for mold, though. There are some threads here that were started by people from humid/tropical/sub-tropical spots, too. Lotsa Auzzies/Kiwi's 'round heeah!

EDIT - Don't be afraid to mention different strains/breeders if you like! It's all love for the plants over here! :^)

EDIT AGAIN - Check out this thread. I think OP lives in the jungle, lol. ASH = Afghan/Sk x Haze, MASH = MangoHz x Afghan/Sk, and Critical Haze is CriticalMass x Afghan/Haze
http://mrnice.nl/forum/showthread.php?t=1852

Last edited:
hey matt...this one's easy...go for the mango haze...:D

you want sativa dom, go mango. you have high humidity, go mango. you want high levels of thc, go mango. you want something different, exotic, tasty and high yielding, go mango...

neville's haze is not sativa dominant...it is basically pure sativa...if you haven't grown a sativa before, this is not the one to start with...at least, I wouldn't start with this one...try the mango haze, and after you love it and learn to grow it well, move on to the neville's haze...you will be doing yourself a big favor...if you can, get both of them, grow the mango out, then grow the neville's haze...

keep in mind, the most fun you could have might actually involve multiple packs of walkabout...that is, if you're up for an adventure! :)

Hope this helps...jay

Cool :cool:

Yeah, if mold is a specific problem where you are, you need to address that in your strain selection. Mold sucks!!! :p I lost a decent bit of a BEAUTIFUL Spice cut to mold. It was mostly my fault, though. I should have gone an extra time or 2 and cut off spots of mold before they took over. My buddy was just STARING at all of the buds I was leaving in the bush when we cut em down :D
"You can't do ANYTHING with em?!?!?"
"Nope..."
"Can I have em???"
"Stop, dood. I'm giving you a QP of NON-molded but for helping, let it go...:D"

I'm not in a bad area for mold, though. There are some threads here that were started by people from humid/tropical/sub-tropical spots, too. Lotsa Auzzies/Kiwi's 'round heeah!

EDIT - Don't be afraid to mention different strains/breeders if you like! It's all love for the plants over here! :^)

EDIT AGAIN - Check out this thread. I think OP lives in the jungle, lol. ASH = Afghan/Sk x Haze, MASH = MangoHz x Afghan/Sk, and Critical Haze is CriticalMass x Afghan/Haze
http://mrnice.nl/forum/showthread.php?t=1852

Your buddy sounds like me when a friend of mine has to throw away moldy buds! Thanks for the links to the grow reports, and I thought it might be a bit rude to mention other breeders and strains too much. Well, thanks for your help, and I'll check that thread out, and see if I have any further questions.

hey matt...this one's easy...go for the mango haze...:D

you want sativa dom, go mango. you have high humidity, go mango. you want high levels of thc, go mango. you want something different, exotic, tasty and high yielding, go mango...

neville's haze is not sativa dominant...it is basically pure sativa...if you haven't grown a sativa before, this is not the one to start with...at least, I wouldn't start with this one...try the mango haze, and after you love it and learn to grow it well, move on to the neville's haze...you will be doing yourself a big favor...if you can, get both of them, grow the mango out, then grow the neville's haze...

keep in mind, the most fun you could have might actually involve multiple packs of walkabout...that is, if you're up for an adventure! :)

Hope this helps...jay

Are you trying to convince me to get Mango :)? I am definitely getting at least 1 Mango strain, no doubt. I'm looking for high THC strains mostly, and most people I know prefer Sativa dominant ones. A strong Indica is nice every now and then, so Medicine Man will do.

This will be my first time growing, but I'm getting help from some very experienced growers, so we should be able to conquer Neville's Haze. I can't resist it, and I've heard so many good things about it... Not one bad word yet either.

As for the Mango strains, are they all REALLY potent? I'm looking for something that only takes you 2, maybe 3 cones in a bong to get you... How should I say it, fucked?

What strains from here have the potential to do that? As it is, most stuff I smoke around here is decent, and I can pull 3-4 cones, sometimes 5-6 in a row to get pretty stoned.

What strains from here have the potential to do that?
Every MrN strain that I've tried so far - Spice, SSH, Shit, G/Sk, MangoWidow (from dreamtime, 1 plant), EQ, and Devil. Shanti breeds more for the high/potency/flavor than anything, and Critical Mass seems to be the only strain MrN sells selected for size over smoke. I have heard some great reports about the smoke of CM, too.

Every MrN strain that I've tried so far - Spice, SSH, Shit, G/Sk, MangoWidow (from dreamtime, 1 plant), EQ, and Devil. Shanti breeds more for the high/potency/flavor than anything, and Critical Mass seems to be the only strain MrN sells selected for size over smoke. I have heard some great reports about the smoke of CM, too.

I see, well thanks for that. Critical Mass sounds good, but I heard it still lacks some potency and flavour, but I guess it's more of a commercial plant.

Hi MatthewD

''...
But Neville's Haze, SSH, MangoHaze, Medicine Man/Black Widow and Critical Mass are my priorities when it comes to "strains to get"
This will be my first time growing, but I'm getting help from some very experienced growers, so we should be able to conquer Neville's Haze.
''

All of the above are great strains so you cant go wrong with any of em.
Mango and SSH are superplants really , some of the best hybrids out there, any grower that has grown them loved em . Personally I 'd go for the Mango as its slightly more sativa leaning and its more fruity but I think I found SSH to be a bit more high yielding from a pack. The Nev'sHz is a difficult strain to grow even for experienced gardeners so I would suggest you grow first the easier to grow 50%Haze hybrids like SSH or MangoHaze which are more practical and finish faster as well. Then with some first hand experience with Haze plants you can def try the Nevs and ensure you will get the best out of these plants. Its a line that is difficult to master and if not grown properly the end result may not be up to your expectations but when you do the results can be amazing.
As for Mango hybrids being potent , well I ve never grown any of the Mango crosses , I ve only grown the Mango in its pure form , and its definitelly one of the most potent strains in its category(sat dominant hybrids). Definitely a highly recommended strain .
This one along with SSH are my in my top 10 list when it comes to potency.

As for Cmass , it is a commercial line and I wouldnt really reccomend it if youre into growing only for personal use . I've grown a pack and enjoyed the high yields , plus its not a bad smoke or anything..but imo there are many other lines that yield less and produce better bud.

Back