Back Door Man- a Neville's Haze/Doors cross

musashi

Site Moderator
Staff member
Hey, all you people that tryin' to sleep
I'm out to make it with my midnight dream, yeah
'Cause I'm a back door man
The men don't know, but the little girls understand…
~Back Door Man- by Willie Dixon sung by The Doors

Aloha fellow Firewalkers!

It’s about that time again to take up the slack on the overlap. I’ve got 5 weeks before the Ortega’s and Critical Mass are done and so I have to put plants in veg now. Not a hard decision as to what to grow next, I have discussed some choices in my Ortega thread and the seeds that I have ordered have yet to come.

There has been this lingering curiosity, “I wonder just how potent an NH/Doors cross might be?” Check out my previous Doors thread to fill you in. The seeds are cured and now where do I start? I decided on 3 plants to use based on potency, yield, and smell. #7 had the yield, #6 had the potency, and #4 had the smell. All of them; jungle vine. Because of space limitations, I narrowed down on The Doors males that were used to make this seed, #6 and #14; selected for pollen production, morphology, potency. 5 seeds each (30) are now in water with bleach and soon to be added kelp.

As Marcus and Fish were discussing in another thread, I need a conservatory too- to put the existing clones in for later use. As I don’t have one yet, there may be some girls going to a new home soon. I think Noshow mentioned in my Doors thread that he has this cross that I am beginning, ready to go, but I might as well get started now ‘cuz I’m dyin’ to find out how they might turn out. So please join me on this walk. Introducing, Back Door Man, Neville’s Haze females mated with The Doors males.

backdoorman seeds.jpg

Shaka
Mu

Aloha braddahs!

The seeds are sinking but no visible radicle yet. Below, the plants used to create the seeds I will work with on this project. To answer Fish's question, taking a quick look under 30x, the cured NH samples show slender, elongated bracts covered in resin that is a bit oilier compared to the dry resin of The Doors.

d6 12_15.jpg d14 12_15.jpg
The Doors #6, #14
The Males

_nh#4b 3_23.jpg _nh#6b 3_23.jpg _nh#7b 3_23.jpg
Neville's Haze #4, #6, #7
The Females​

Shaka
Mu

Several days have passed since initiating these seeds. While they did not have the robustness of say a Medicine Man seed that typically comes out of the chute like gangbusters, they came out in a steady cautiousness. Their desire to thrive is evident though as this morning finds 30 out of 30 young ones rising up. A testament to strong genetics. I have high hopes here lol.

bdm seedlings 7_8.jpg

The Force is strong with you, my young Padawan!

🤙
Mu

Holy crap this is gonna be so awesome 😁

Are the doors Available to buy from seedbanks does anyone know? I'd like to try them next run if I can source some?

Bonghead, you can get them right here on MNS auction site.

Awesome genetics to work with, Musashi. I still can't get over how awesome those NH flowers look - especially #7. I love to watch your grow logs. You are going to have some fine herb from this grow! Rock on!

It’s been but a week and these initially timid ones are now rapidly extending their reach; responding well to the more intense light.

…Little darling, the smiles returning to their faces
Little darling, it seems like years since it's been here
Here comes the sun
Here comes the sun, and I say
It's all right
Sun, sun, sun, here it comes…
~ Here Comes The Sun- George Harrison

Like young pubescent girls experiencing unwanted growth spurts resulting in awkwardness, they have already gone from cotyledon to their second set of leaves. Their skinny legs struggle to support their quickly developing upper torsos, causing the need to provide footing for some. I have a habit of starting my pots half full with soil until I can confirm that they are healthy, haven’t succumbed to damping off etc. As they get tipsy I top the pots off. I’m miserly with soil lol.

Here’s a pic of the Nev#4 and Nev#7 (red tag) cross. Notice the difference in leaf sets, especially the secondary leaf set. To my eyes, the Nev#7 secondaries are a bit thinner. Now magnify the adult pics in the 3rd post and compare. Parental influence; do thinner, longer leaves equate to single stacked calyxes? While perhaps too early to tell, I find the correlation interesting. The Force is strong...

backdoor seedling wk2.jpg

🤙
Mu

Those babies are looking great man, definitely different leaf types coming through. It will be very interesting to see how the stems grow with node spacing etc, fingers crossed you get girls although I know a good stud male is just as good 😁

Bong

Good morning braddahs!

Aah those males! I am very much looking forward to those. Those thoroughbreds won't be stabled for long- not with that AC coursing through their veins. I got some Doors fillys I want them to meet. Room is what I need for an open pollination 👩‍❤️‍👨 Now where are those lotto tickets lol. Much aloha braddahs!

1594991257197.png

🤙
Mu

Last edited:
Here’s a pic of the Nev#4 and Nev#7 (red tag) cross. Notice the difference in leaf sets, especially the secondary leaf set. To my eyes, the Nev#7 secondaries are a bit thinner. Now magnify the adult pics in the 3rd post and compare. Parental influence; do thinner, longer leaves equate to single stacked calyxes? While perhaps too early to tell, I find the correlation interesting. The Force is strong...

Good question about the relationship between leaf morphology and dreadlocks of stacked calyxes. I tend to use leaf morphology as a selection criteria. Based on my limited observations, I think the correlations between thin leaves and stacked calyxes are greater at the sativa side of the spectrum. I find that, for the Colombians I grow, thinner leaves in veg generally result in more and longer stacked calyxes in flower. On the other hand, my AB F2 keeper didn't have particularly thin leaves but it gave me beautiful dreadlocks of stacked calyxes.

This is going to be a very interesting grow, and I'm psyched to follow your progress. Rock on, brother!

It's going on two weeks since I last posted and 27 days since these seeds were started. Of the 30 that were planted, 30 remain. If you have been following, you know by now that I chose 2 male Doors and 3 female Nev's for this project; among all the seed combinations I had from an earlier pollination involving 3 males and 8 females. It was hard deciding where to begin so I went with criteria set forth in my first post. Taking that first step is often the hardest eh? So, might as well begin using the basic building blocks; I just love working with stable and proven genetics and MNS is on the top of the heap IMHO. As mentioned earlier, this was an exercise to see if I could improve the potency of the Neville's Haze by introducing some AC genes got from The Doors. Well, wouldn't you know it, right after I do this Shanti goes and copies me with his Holy Grail ;). All kidding aside, I was also interested in seeing if I could create a more manageable, reasonably sized plant for my indoor grows that possessed some old time tastes and aromas. Inquisitive minds...
So, 27 days later and the plants are thriving. After their initial awkwardness, they are finally standing on their own, having established solid root bases. Most are 8" tall and many are 8" tip to tip in width and going on to their 5th nodes! As my dear braddah Marcus said, "This is going to be a very interesting grow." I too am psyched to see what will be found. In the meantime, before the flurry begins, I will focus on happy thoughts.

bdm b 7_29.jpg peace sign.jpg bdm a 7_29.jpg

I recently pulled these out of the closet and have once again rediscovered the joys of "rockin on!" Anyone else out there play?
guitars3.jpg

vw beatles.jpg
Peace and love braddahs.

🤙
Mu

So stoked to see these take off MU, do you think the doors is more potent than the nev's? I know there's not much difference in flower time give or take a week or so but are there any other things I should worry about like difficulty to grow?

The nev's is iconic so I'm eager to try it when I get my grow skills dialled in for sativas.

Bong

Stunning and thriving! fire baby! 🔥 Another nice log to follow!

yeah playing my air guitar :LOL: and irritating table drumming :ROFLMAO:

The current Indie grow is taking a wee bit longer; not wanting to compromise the yield of this crop I have waited until the last moments before reducing water and accelerating light reduction. One grow room is not enough and the lotto has yet to come my way.
Meanwhile, I am doing my best to stall these Back Door ladies. It’s been 5 weeks since the BDM seed was put to soil and all are growing at a frightening rate. They still reside in 3x3 containers to minimize their flourishing and yet...
By now, they would already be in 5x5’s to encourage more lateral growth before sexing them and then transplanted into 5 gallon pots at 15” to further increase biomass before the light change. As of today, most are approaching 11”!

bdm height 8_8.jpg

Necessity being the mother of invention, I will add a 30”x72” table in the room to accommodate the up-potting that will occur tomorrow as it can no longer wait. I didn’t think these girls would rage this quickly, lol. I look forward to seeing what will come of this cross. As I mentioned before, “The Force (Haze AC) is strong with you, my young Padawan!”

1596934868062.png
Doors #6 Male

NH4xD6 8_6a.jpg NH6xD6 8_6.jpg NH7xD6 8_6.jpg
Back Door Man F1's, Doors #6 male crossed with Neville's Haze #4, #6, #7

1596936039145.png
Doors #14 Male

NH4xD14 8_6.jpg NH6xD14 8_6.jpg NH7xD14 8_6.jpg
Back Door Man F1's. Doors #14 male crossed with Neville's Haze #4, #6, #7

Outside plants:
what kind of poppy 8_8.jpg
Planted poppies here, this is what came up o_O

🤙
Mu

Those are some good looking babies MU 😁
Can't wait to see what they do once they get some new leg room, one day I will tame a Neville's haze to grow in my piddly little tent but until then I shall watch these beauties put on a show 😁

Bong

"musashi" said:
I recently pulled these out of the closet and have once again rediscovered the joys of "rockin on!" Anyone else out there play?
View attachment 45733

Hello musashi!

I play to my plants! Helps with internodal branching ;) They're great! They are a captive audience that never gets up and leaves during a song! It seems they like the Allman Brothers Band song - Blue Sky; "Lord you know it makes me high when you turn your love my way".

LB

Elite soldiers of the Les Paul Army standing guard over the Queens of Nevil Land!

1p1030508.jpg

Last edited:

This is a grow I am pretty excited about. I had originally planned on growing the Holy Grail at this time. However, with the delayed delivery of the Holy Grail seeds, I went ahead and launched this (NH x Doors male) cross to fill in. As I think about it, it was a good decision. I'm back to growing Sats and I will be able to compare this cross with the Holy Grail which will come after- like sometime in the next decade haha. Another 14+ week grow, I took time to re-arrange the room to better accomodate these girls. I plan to cut N earlier during their growth spurt to minimize the Jack-in-the-beanstalk effect.
Starting 12/12 now, I judge that they are plenty big enough having had 7 weeks from seed. As it stands, the males (educated guess as they are the taller ones with sparse leaves) are now at 16". I plan on using them to help stabilize this cross. I don't expect it to be a clean sensimillia grow as I am more interested in securing seed at this point. As usual, I'll try to keep the pollination to the lower branches. Well, enough yakking, here goes...

backdoorman veg 8_20.jpg

🤙
Mu

Back