Australian Bush Weed Origin - Sativa thats for sure

SmokeyfromAu

Hello Shantibaba and Mr Nice,

As usual , we ran low on supply so we went down to Nimbin to get the old faithful Bush Weed. It had some seeds in this lot of bud.

So around mid October I planted 2 of the 5 seeds, and with luck, they were bot females, but the girls took their time to show sex, Its now May, the smaller plant ( cant upload for the next 2 days) she is a bit different but still Sativa, they had super long thin leaves.

I am curious of the origins of the Bush Weed, i assume it has been in the Nimbin area since the Aquarius Festival. The smaller plant is more advanced the other she has been through the wars - buds spider mite and a fungus which attacked the leaves.

Thank you Mr Shantibaba and Mr Nice

Hi Smokey.
It will be good to see the picture.
In the 70/80's our west Aussie landrace was Thai based, like the rest of Aus, but I think maybe we had some Kerala and Durban in it
The local strain was probably 12-14 week bloom with really strong main stem and pine tree shape.
You couldn't over water those plants.
And a bit smaller, but quicker type, which prob just had some affy mixed to the local.
Long time ago now.
I went to live on top of mullum creek in the little creek valley in 1990.
They were playing with Hawaiian indica that was later and taller than Afghan and incredibly cerebral
They also had other Thai landraces that others had collected.
Just north of there and east was where LA Nina haze was formed and the area was super active back then
Nimbin was kind of getting up then and Byron was still a farming centre, regional town
Who knows who went where and when in last 50 years.
Ior who went online a year ago, ordered what from where and let some pollen drift free?
Hope your smoko made you happy.
Welcome to the forum.

Hi Vlad the Inhaler ( love your nick mate)
Thanks for the info and welcome

Yes i cant wait to post a picture, but i am on other forums so i can link the thread with their pictures.

I have Durban at the moment, just a young plant at this stage. Interesting so maybe Thai based, the Nimbin Bush Weed. Its a pretty long flower, she must have started in February as she took time to show sex. Nice about the smaller faster plant, that would have been a nice plant.
Mullum is a pretty area. That Hawaiian Indica would have been a nice plant. I saw La Nina on MrNice. This was all before Nimbin became the weed capital. My Smoko i always have in the late afternoon or evening, usually with the dynavap, thanks for the welcome.

https://forums.strainhunters.com/topic/14126-australian-sativa-possible-landrace-from-nimbin-bush-weed-bud/

https://www.autoflower.net/forums/threads/smokeys-2020-grow-summer-autumn-winter.74907/

Looks like I germinated the Nimbin on December 1st

Last edited:
Hey. I wouldn't guess the your plant is Thai.
That local type I described died of around mid 90's n got replaced with pissy smelling dutch weed.
Who could even guess your strain
When I was there I also lived on a m.o. in Huonbrook. Most of those guys were deep into indo so we were making communal long houses on their X dairy farm.
We almost drove to Nimbin cos only place in the state to buy a bong back then, and a mate wanted to buy a big teepee.
You live in a nice part of the world

Hello Vlad,
I guess the dutch weed would be what they call low quality bushweed. I get the good bush from a certain location in town. The dutch weed actually smells like piss?

All i know its a pure Sativa (who knows what she got in her, someday we may know) pleasent smoke, and that sounds interesting os Indo Sativas, she might be Indo. Nimbin is not far from me, i am in the Gold Coast hinterland, so its about 1hour or less drive.

nimbin-early-flower-big-sativa-leaves.jpg

That's a nice looking plant.
The leaves look healthy.
Nice long blades but the buds look like they are chunky enough too.
The longhouses come from Sumatra. One of the guys had a wife he brought back from living there, so no reason he wouldn't of brought seed also.
The piss weed wasn't poor. The hole in ozone layer makes strong bush weed down south ( uv may give us lot higher skin cancer rate than world average, but the weed appears to like it haha )
The piss weed was most probably just nl/hz grown from seed kept from last grow. This was just before indoor gardening took of here. Still had regular X*1000's+ plant busts in orchards n veggie farms back then. In WA, SA and VIC, at least, l'onorata was still the big player.
Burned rubber and burning hair/coir were also flavours available.
Different place now with the Internets.

#the two pics r some old lowland sat that's basically unmolested

Attachments

• download (9).jpeg
    download (9).jpeg
    13.4 KB · Views: 28
  • images (69).jpeg
    images (69).jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
That's a nice looking plant.
The leaves look healthy.
Nice long blades but the buds look like they are chunky enough too.
The longhouses come from Sumatra. One of the guys had a wife he brought back from living there, so no reason he wouldn't of brought seed also.
The piss weed wasn't poor. The hole in ozone layer makes strong bush weed down south ( uv may give us lot higher skin cancer rate than world average, but the weed appears to like it haha )
The piss weed was most probably just nl/hz grown from seed kept from last grow. This was just before indoor gardening took of here. Still had regular X*1000's+ plant busts in orchards n veggie farms back then. In WA, SA and VIC, at least, l'onorata was still the big player.
Burned rubber and burning hair/coir were also flavours available.
Different place now with the Internets.

#the two pics r some old lowland sat that's basically unmolested

Hiya Vlad
Love the old lowland sat, lovely thin leaves and chuncky buds. Yes haha, true I was just saying the sun would pack more than more polluted places in the world. The Dutch weed sounds like it was nice, and geeze thats lots of plants back in the day, and yes the famous Griffith murder over Cannabis and Mafia. Strange flavours for sure burning hair, the internet is vast with info. The longhouses i had a look on the internet what they looked like.

This is today, I think the Nimbins are ready for the chop, i will try to keep them both living, if possible. Some amber , milk and clear.

The slightly smaller plant buds are small but very very dense in structure whereas the bigger girl is less so.

P1240607.jpg

Good job man.
Nice looking garden, hope it dries well for you.
Do you get the bronze bullet/gold tops and blue meanies there also?
One good day shrooming will change your life

Hey all.
It would seem that alot of Aussie bush strains originated from different SE Asian Varietys.
Obviously Thai genetics are involved, but many different strains from All over SE Asia have been bought to Oz over time.
The Vietnam war bought a big influx of different SE Asian Sativa's into Oz, and I would guess these would make a up a large part of the older Aussie Bush strains.
During the early 80,s some Amazing purple Durban came through, it was amazing smoke and alot of growers around the Northern Rivers worked with the line.
There was also very secretive crews who were bringing in geetics from around the world and worked there own lines.
Although Afghan genetics were brought to Oz in the 70,s - Early 80,s...and maybe even before, they were not widespread and didn't really make a commercial appearance till the early 90,s.
It's interesting that people link the "piss" to Dutch genetics...... Many Bush lines left long enough unproperly worked seem to turn to Piss!
Anyway, take it easy guys...S

Hey all.
It would seem that alot of Aussie bush strains originated from different SE Asian Varietys.
Obviously Thai genetics are involved, but many different strains from All over SE Asia have been bought to Oz over time.
The Vietnam war bought a big influx of different SE Asian Sativa's into Oz, and I would guess these would make a up a large part of the older Aussie Bush strains.
During the early 80,s some Amazing purple Durban came through, it was amazing smoke and alot of growers around the Northern Rivers worked with the line.
There was also very secretive crews who were bringing in geetics from around the world and worked there own lines.
Although Afghan genetics were brought to Oz in the 70,s - Early 80,s...and maybe even before, they were not widespread and didn't really make a commercial appearance till the early 90,s.
It's interesting that people link the "piss" to Dutch genetics...... Many Bush lines left long enough unproperly worked seem to turn to Piss!

Hi Sensient.
I think Afghan was around from 50's. But they were probably more of a philosophy professor from Monash stash than street weed.
Our se azn landrace then mostly smelt of faint citrus and never gave you munchies. If you smoked all day you might only eat one huge dinner
I was talking to a woman here who's owned a hydro supply for 40 years and she reckoned the piss came from Durban.
In mid 80's you could get a lot of liqourice brick in nth Fremantle, after the Sumatran ran out.
The reason I think the local piss weed was haze is because it had a density of intoxication and bodystone that we just didn't get from the traditional stuff and also who was growing it. Every year they had local grown citrus, then over a season or two it's basically replaced by piss haze.

Hey bro, yeah what you are describing sounds very familiar.
Cannabis history in Australia is very interesting.
During early settlement as you would most likely know Indica seed was bought in and mistakingly planted as hemp crops. Apparently they were still useful for fibre, but proper hemp seed was brought in and the Indica crops were abandoned
Some speculate that is where the Hunter Valley wild crops derived from...but it is of course speculation.
During the 70,s-80,s alot of great weed from P.N.G was coming through QLD, and would make up part of the Aussie genepool.
Mango heads were also a big thing in QLD and N.S.W...anything with a Citrus or fruity flavour or smell became reffered to as Mango.
Redbeard became a thing to......but basically became just a generic name for any weed with mass red pistalls.
So called New Zealand purple head was also a thing during the 80,s....again... probably just a name, as I saw many different varieties from Pure Sats to hybrid Indica/Sativa types.
Alot of different varieties were coming through the N.T to, as alot of weed was smuggled through from PNG and SE Asian Countries.
Australia has an interesting canna history, but peicing it together is hard as most of the older growers from the era are long gone, and most were very secretive about there work.
I'll dig up some old pics from the 80,s of the Main line we were growing in QLD for commercial produ tion...my best guess is it was a mash-up of SE Asian varieties.
Anyway... great chat!

Last edited:
Hope you can find the pics.
And also Smokey's pics when the plants dried.
The thing I remember about the old type here was the high.
You would get visuals from the sky, or cloud gazing.
But it was pretty twitchy and smiley.
It would keep you awake, and kill hunger and was often aphrodisiac, but a bit socially awkward and not really discreet.
You looked pretty toast.
Carrot, mint and alpine meadow were other old flavours

Haha...brings back memories bro..can remember getting visuals off those old SATs.
Some used to come on with that DMT like ringing in the ears....then bang, it was like tripping!!!
Miss that now days!

The 130bpm resting heart rate that smoke gave was a bit much.
I wonder if anything came from Shanti's work with La reunion plants.
Some of those smoke descriptions r pretty interesting

Good job man.
Nice looking garden, hope it dries well for you.
Do you get the bronze bullet/gold tops and blue meanies there also?
One good day shrooming will change your life
Hello Vlad,

Thanks Bro, yes we got the gold tops here, and I dont have to trespass as its in council land, and i guess the council let the farmer cows in the paddock. Some big cubes in the field, I love Shrooms, and yes they are special. I have heard of subs being found in the mountains of the Gold Coast hinterland.

cubewithvail.jpg

Hey bro, yeah what you are describing sounds very familiar.
Cannabis history in Australia is very interesting.
During early settlement as you would most likely know Indica seed was bought in and mistakingly planted as hemp crops. Apparently they were still useful for fibre, but proper hemp seed was brought in and the Indica crops were abandoned
Some speculate that is where the Hunter Valley wild crops derived from...but it is of course speculation.
During the 70,s-80,s alot of great weed from P.N.G was coming through QLD, and would make up part of the Aussie genepool.
Mango heads were also a big thing in QLD and N.S.W...anything with a Citrus or fruity flavour or smell became reffered to as Mango.
Redbeard became a thing to......but basically became just a generic name for any weed with mass red pistalls.
So called New Zealand purple head was also a thing during the 80,s....again... probably just a name, as I saw many different varieties from Pure Sats to hybrid Indica/Sativa types.
Alot of different varieties were coming through the N.T to, as alot of weed was smuggled through from PNG and SE Asian Countries.
Australia has an interesting canna history, but peicing it together is hard as most of the older growers from the era are long gone, and most were very secretive about there work.
I'll dig up some old pics from the 80,s of the Main line we were growing in QLD for commercial produ tion...my best guess is it was a mash-up of SE Asian varieties.
Anyway... great chat!
Hi Sensient
Very interesing Bro, i l also fine Australian Canna history very intersting. That was criminal about the hunter valley crop, they kept poison it till it was gone. Redbeard and Mango sound like stains i would have liked to try. The old breeders have retired it not the strains still go on but in secret, who knows. The Nimbin Bush could well be some SE Asian mixed with something.

Hope you can find the pics.
And also Smokey's pics when the plants dried.
The thing I remember about the old type here was the high.
You would get visuals from the sky, or cloud gazing.
But it was pretty twitchy and smiley.
It would keep you awake, and kill hunger and was often aphrodisiac, but a bit socially awkward and not really discreet.
You looked pretty toast.
Carrot, mint and alpine meadow were other old flavours
Hi Vlad, interesting Bro, visuals are alwaays great to experience, Nimbins are pretty good at that. I will try it tonight I have pics Vlad of the bud will post at the bottom of this reply.

Hey all.
SE Asian mix maybe some Bro. I mean its like Thai Sticks in a way with long thin leave and bud structure is a bit different. Strange, the 2 plants are similar but bud is different in one slightlyt and smell, but will see once cured. I am growing Durban Poison atm. I wonder if some of the Bush ciruclating has some Indica in it. The 2 nimbins started to flower mid feb, the photo on page one is march 3rd i think.. so a few weeks to ripen it took. Its pretty good stuff circulating through the Northern Rivers. Another good thing about Australia, i dont think other countries may not have such good Bushweed that can be brought on the streets. DMT , havent tried that but i love shrooms though.

Taller Nimbin plant - thin thin leaves, she got done with bugs, so i had to wash the buds. The smaller Nimbin didnt have the bush smell, was slight more skunk. These plants seeds came from purchased bud.

P1250011.jpg

P1250017.jpg

Some cool pics.
Nice to see a goldtop, I like them when they r bullets, before the cap breaks.
That nrthn rvr type shits on Balinese and what we get here in Balingup.
Sweet gunj too, so how does she smoke?

From the looks of the bud shots, they should do right well. Lookin good!

Hope good fortune finds every one & your crops are top of the line.

mM

Some cool pics.
Nice to see a goldtop, I like them when they r bullets, before the cap breaks.
That nrthn rvr type shits on Balinese and what we get here in Balingup.
Sweet gunj too, so how does she smoke?

Hello Vlad,
I saw bullets in the field which is pretty vast and swampy, but the cubes seem to love it. I'll try the bullets next time , i think its time to dump the 2 year shrooms in the pantry lol. back into the field to recycle for me and fellow shroomters

Yes strange trying the 2nd plant very much like the other plant but more skunk like aroma over the floral.

Plant A the Nimbin taste and smell used to - not as smooth as plant 2, but the high is psycehdlic, and i feel slightly off balance and i did hear a bit of ringing in my ears more like crickets, not like the more indica stones i used to. I hope to keep it going so i can have it around sometimes to grow.

Looking good bro....Gotta love the Goldies!
It doesn't surprise me finding a more Skunkier type.
Alot of the old bush strains have Dutch genetics in the nowdays.... I know alot of growers who introduced Skunk#1 and Northern lights types into there own in hope of improving them...yeild ect
Some of the bush lines are actually Dutch genetics, Grown outdoors for many years....Ive seen Northern lights lines that haven't been maintained and now look like any other bush hybrid type.
I have alot of older lines....and while they sound appealing ..I have had alot of disappointments!!!
S

Back