August 16th again! (outdoors)

Hello musashi!

Thank you for the thoughts. What do you mean by spider wrapping? I have the idea of the X-mas tree but was not sure how to go about it. A friend, whose plants are bigger than , had stopped by and said he had just wrapped his plants in some type of garden plant netting to keep then together and to help avoid being seen by the helicopters constantly flying around. Didn't get a chance to go look at them, too many irons in the fire! haha

Last year I had kept the plants well pruned but over the winter I saw this monster(pic below) and wondered if I needed to trim at all? But this is most likely Cali which don't have the humidity and bud rot of New York. As far as trimming leaves go, got it! But branches, I was told to keep the main stalk(of course) and any branches that grow directly off the main stalk. Any branches that grow off these secondary branches should be removed for bigger buds/colas. Is that right? Sorry about all the noob questions. Noobs tend to do that :)

Longball

usimage4.jpeg

I wish that I had looked earlier!

You can definitely grow plants that big AND have them low enough for visual stealth: all you need to do is bend them down and tie them that way. :D

Aloha brah!

Question: "What do you mean by spider wrapping? I have the idea of the X-mas tree but was not sure how to go about it.
Answer: "just wrapped his plants in some type of garden plant netting to keep then together"

...But this is most likely Cali which don't have the humidity and bud rot of New York...
...keep the main stalk(of course) and any branches that grow directly off the main stalk...

Adding further to PMB's comment on bending, what I am suggesting is called mainlining or manifolding- training done earlier in a plants life. Trellising is another manipulating variation. However, you are mid season so consider at least thinning out bc of humidity which may result in mold problems.

🤙
Mu

Thanks, musashi!

I recently learned of manifolding and was planning to practice over the winter. I guess in the meantime I will just hang on for the ride! 😅

Longball

Not to worry Longball. Those plants will be up and ready to go, looking better than ever. Prune off the dead branches, thin them out some.
I had the same thing you have couple weeks ago. I got artistic and pruned them into wine glass shapes, used some 6’ oak stakes and pounded them in, used nursery twine to tie them to stake.
In my opinion, they will be back and looking better than ever. From here on out keeping them dry, letting air circulate and harvesting on first sign of bud rot is name of game.
I’ve grown many seasons in Massachusetts, outside, what happens in like the 6th week of flower, 40 degree rains come...then, at night the temp will drop in humid stagnant weather and bud rot will appear.
Those plants are going to be fantastic, with kilo or two yield.
Stake them, prune them, try to keep them dry.
I don’t water them unless they wilt, thinking dry is good. No nutes.
I've got a friend who bought an electric leaf blower (quiet) he blow dries them at sunrise everyday!
Not sure if the is crazy, or brilliant.

BuzzardsBay said:
I've got a friend who bought an electric leaf blower (quiet) he blow dries them at sunrise everyday! Not sure if the is crazy, or brilliant.

Hello BB!

I use a leaf blower to dry my Grand National. And I use a fan outdoors on my deck grows, a fan outdoors is kind of life a leaf blower! No. I don't think your friend crazy. I think that I am crazy though! Growing in the Northeast outdoors is a full time job battling the moisture/humidity problem. A couple of friends are lucky enough to get sunrise sun. They still have to shake dew/moisture off each morning to avoid bud rot. My deck does not get sun until 1pm so I go out and shake moisture off and set out a fan to help.

"Not to worry Longball. Those plants will be up and ready to go, looking better than ever "

You might be right, BB. It seems like storms are like weight lifting for plants! They seem stronger! But still quite disheveled. And not quite as sexy!

Longball

Yeah that happens with big plants in pots. You might consider the automatics for your short season and container gardening. Then plant a few of your favorites in the soil right off the deck.

Hello slabsodank, PlantManBee!

Thanks for joining the discussion and offering up some ideas. Unfortunately, 90% of my property can't be used for growing. The 90% that gets sunshine all day! The reason - property fronts a road that is used by police and town officials! There is also a popular gathering spot across the street from my house. Cars and people all day. The deck and yard below it can also be seen from the road, hence the privacy wall. However, when plants are taller than the wall officials can see them from the street! This leaves me with 2 small spots to put plants. The deck and the side of the garage. Each spot only gets 5 hours of sun a day so plants must be moved twice a day. So, there are two absolute rules of growing here: 1 -plants must be in easy movable containers without complicated strapdown procedures and 2 - plants no bigger than 5 feet.

Last year, first grow. Things went great. 2 plants got a little big but I could still move them. Got the idea that maybe the buds could be a little bigger. Bad idea! That's how I got into this mess!

Last year's plants. These 2 got a little big. The top colas were peeking over the wall. The plant on the left was my first attempt at lollipopping. I started the one on the right but stopped when I realized that I needed a control plant to see if lollipopping had any effect. The top cola does look a little thicker on the left.
buckets.jpg

The side of the garage(last year) gets sun from 8am til 1pm. In the background you can see the deck, completely shaded. Deck gets sun from 1pm to 6pm. About 10 hours a day of sun if I move the plants. Between the deck and the garage, the road is a few car lengths away! While moving the plants it is possible to be seen by officials. It would not be the first time arrested and jailed for MJ but I'd rather not! A fence here would create many more new problems.
garage.jpg

10 hours of direct sunlight seems to be enough for good bud development!
bud (3).jpg

This year, in an effort to produce bigger buds I went with better containers, better soil, and planted 4 weeks earlier. Like many people, I was caught up in the 'Big Buds Matter' movement. With my lack of growing experience, I never for a second thought how better containers, soil, and earlier planting would affect vegging! Dumbazz!

Next year, I am thinking if I plant about 6 weeks later(May 15, 42N) there will be less veg time so plants will not get so big. 6 weeks less vegging. Kind of like indoor growers who keep a short veg time due to space limitations. Any thoughts on this idea?

This year, hoping 5 hours of direct sunlight is enough to keep these flowers going.
New.jpg

Longball

"musashi, . Time to build a structure replete with dougongs ha. 🤙Mu

musashi, have I ever shown you my dougongs?
Webp.net-compress-image.jpg

Last edited:
"I plant later and later each year for this reason."

Hello BB!

Are you just teasing me with this tidbit of information or are you going to share some of your hard-earned knowledge? Start dates? Plant sizes? Strains?

I remember you said that you planted some on August 1st. That seems a bit late for anything other than auto's? Did you plant on August 1st because it is Jerry Garcia's birthday? :)

Longball

Things look great.

BTW, The lollipopping looks good but it is really for indoors where the light intensity drops markedly over inches. You can definitely encourage bigger buds, but the problem of "larfy" undergrowth isn't much of a problem outside in my experience.

"I plant later and later each year for this reason."

Hello BB!

Are you just teasing me with this tidbit of information or are you going to share some of your hard-earned knowledge? Start dates? Plant sizes? Strains?

I remember you said that you planted some on August 1st. That seems a bit late for anything other than auto's? Did you plant on August 1st because it is Jerry Garcia's birthday? :)

Longball
Experimentation. I will reply with data soon.

" I will reply with data soon"

Thank you, BuzzardsBay! I have learned that you are a man of your word. I look forward to your data! We grow in similar climate so it is good to share data :)

Longball

August 16th again..

3rd year of growing outdoors and learn something, good and bad, every year. This year I was trying for smaller plants as I must grow in containers that I can move twice a day into the sun. Last years plants got too big to budge so this year I started the seeds 2 months later and used smaller containers. The plants are a bit smaller than last year(see post #1). However, I broke my wrist and can't move the plants into the sun for 9-10 hours a day. Makes me wonder how much bigger they would be with an extra 5 hours a day of sun.

First year with MNS genetics and with only half the sunshine and a month less growing time they are just as big a the 2019 plants in the very first picture in this thread. Testimony to MNS genetics! Looking to make some seed this year. Also running a couple non-MNS plants that I am having a fight with about PM. A couple MNS plants have a little PM here and there, under control.

Left to right, G13 x Af Sk(male), G13 x Af Sk(female), Master Kush x Skunk, Critical Skunk.
August 16th, 2021

Webp.net-compress-image.jpg

Longball

The bungies will allow too much movement.
Use a non-stretchy rope and truckers hitch knots to secure it.
I'm in Kansas so I know all about wind storms and damage thereof.
Anything less than 50mph here is a light breeze, 50-70 is windy, and it goes way up from there.

edit:
Ack, sorry about that, thought I was looking at a recent pic.
Will leave this incase it might help.

Back