Anybody have any greenhouse disasters?

Greenthumbskunk

This year was my first year for a greenhouse grow and I stuck around 200 plants in the greenhouse in May. Mostly they are MNS strains but some other various breedings I have done and from other breeders such as Sage N Sour, white Widow, Ice, a special ak47 cut, cotton candy, KC33, KC45 etc etc
Anyways any time I had a male spring up I cut him and replaced him with another one like one of my violator Kush cuts that is mind blowing. Everything in my greenhouse was in flower and or a feminized plant/ or clone from last year. Anyways I had just done some dusting on some buds to get some breedings done and I usually don't check these plants everyday as I have 2 jobs besides this hobby "full time job" ha. Sometimes I couldn't check on em for several days due to being busy with other things. I also have other plots that I have to attend and do so on rotation.
Well anyways I visited my house on Sunday and I saw something funny out through the jungle. (All these plants are 10-15 foot tall and are bent over) anyways one of these purple varities that I ordered was in full flower and decided to turn male on me. Besides having buds on it it had literally thousands of male pollen sacs dusting my greenhouse. I have fans all over the place and fans on the opposite end of the greenhouse sucking out the air. This plant is towards the back. Not only did it sling pollen on all my plants on the inside but ruined my breedings and also seeded another stash of plants away from the house as the fans sucked the pollen out and the wind blew it north towards those plants.
I only had a couple of plants that are close to being ready to cut like the auto kc45 and a couple of breedings I've done. I trimmed up my 45 this weekend and it was chok full of seed.
I really don't know what to do as I'm really bummed out. I got a lot of dough tied up in it. I have my critical mass plants just now starting to flower in the last week. Yes starting to flower in Oct. :-/

Last edited:
I know it may seem like a total loss but it's really not! As long as the plants can produce a good amount of resin you can still process it into a marketable product. The earlier a plant is pulled the more yellow or clear the hash will be it's also important to keep the material under 70 degrees either freeze immediately for 3 hours and then process or dry and then process. I know it sucks but do what you can to get your plants to produce as much resin as our can and cut it as soon as it's ready you don't have to wait til it's totally mature. If you don't process it's good to know someone who does.

Forgot to add that I have about 150 clones of so and I put out a bunch of em outside after what happened. Well today I go check em and something went out and snapped every one but 22 of em off. They were about 18" tall. Whatever it was also dug up a big plant that was putting on but nowhere near ready.

I'm having such a good time. Lol :(

I know it may seem like a total loss but it's really not! As long as the plants can produce a good amount of resin you can still process it into a marketable product. The earlier a plant is pulled the more yellow or clear the hash will be it's also important to keep the material under 70 degrees either freeze immediately for 3 hours and then process or dry and then process. I know it sucks but do what you can to get your plants to produce as much resin as our can and cut it as soon as it's ready you don't have to wait til it's totally mature. If you don't process it's good to know someone who does.

I've been looking through my scope about everyday looking for buds that are close. I have some that are about 50% cloudy the rest if the crystals are clear.

Those are perfect for extract! Don't toss any of it! I just cut my indoor 12 days early no mature hairs on the plant. Everything dried and looked like a mature bud. I know it's seeded but tell trichomes are great for bho or ice wax. Are you prop215?

Nope. Nothing legal about any of it here lol
I ended up cutting 4 plants last night in the dark about 2 am after work. Looks like I could pull several more as well. Gonna do that tonight, think my critical skunk 1 oh nl5 afghan and a couple of Ortegas are ready as you say.
It seems that when the description says ready by end of August or early Sep u might as well tack on another month/ month and a half here.

Last year I chopped one outside in the first week of Dec. it survived several temps down in the upper teens. Burnt off all the leaves but the bud was just fine and after 4 months of curing it was some very nice smoke.

I'm saying they are ready iffy out want to process it into bho. Also if seeds are mature it will be hard to move the product to people expecting seedless.

No they are not mature. They will pop like pimples I guess you can say haha

Also I have a sun screen on top of greenhouse. It's around 42 foot long and does not cover the end. What I did was leave a small 2 ft gap up front and about 6 ft gap in the back. I have it on their for mainly security reasons so maybe the local planes flying over can't see or some prying eyes.
Now the plants that are in the front and the very back are by far the most mature along with the plants that are on the very sides as I have about 4 ft tall sides that are just screen that allows air and light through.
Does the sun screen cause the plants not to go into flower as they should? I know when I put it on my plants exploded in growth from 3 foot to having to bend them over because they were starting to rot against the top even after being topped many times.
I got into an argument with another grower about it. I was saying the cloth is causing the stretching and will cause less bud production because of the much less light for the plants. He says no. I asked him which will produce more bud, bigger plants etc. A cfl bulb or a 1000 watt light? He said a 1000 watt light snd I said thank you u proved my point. He still didn't see it my way.

It really depends how strong the shade cloth is. But it can most definitely cause them to go into flower and at that point they stretch a lot depending on strain.

It's about 70%, when I did put it on I think it was July they did go Into flower. I was able to get rid of my males out of their and replaced those bad boys with some clones from last seasons winners. The females just showed sex but never actually just kept on flowering. My Neville's Haze is still just kinda lingering around. I know the Haze varities take a little longer but some like my Ortegas are almost ready to chop on the sides of the greenhouse but the middle ones are nowhere close.
This is def a learning experience for me.

Man, I'm so sorry about that hermie! But Weeze's right, not a total loss. Old heads don't mind a few seeds! I know I'm disappointed when I buy a bag I really like & find no seeds! I've actually complained about it! But I guess people who never grow & only buy their smoke may see things differently. I only buy if I run out between harvests, & I'm not too proud to grow the seeds from kick ass smoke.
-- So I say make a little hash (silk screen, low tech & easy), & just let people know, hey, there's a few seedsin the bud this year. I think you'll be okay. :)

Around these parts an O is 200-350. Trimmed up some Afghan Haze and it was some good smoke and looked really good as far as bag appeal. Bad thing is that it has some seeds in it. Some buds worse than others. None of these seeds are fully mature with some very very small and all greenish still.
Had a guy come look at it and said it was no good and all he would give is 200 for a 1/4 lb. Took a bud to another person and he smoked it and said it was really smooth, looked great and good potency as well. He didn't mind the seeds and offered 4x as much as previous rip off guy.
So hopefully not all is lost. I've dug out a good deal of the seeds since then. Many are still in their but I got out a couple thousand of em at least. Lol
Only about 125 more plants to go lol
Only thing I'm dealing with now is the monsoon. Been raining now and cloudy for almost a week. Had to cut about 20 plants due to mold covering them up. Got a dehumidifier along with fans blowing on hanging plants in the shop.
I tell you what, as much stuff as their is to do I need 2 hired hands just to keep things going around here. Haha

Well I've chopped now most of my greenhouse and all of those guys were covered in seed and disappointed in the yield as well.
Some plants were around 7 O but a couple around 1 O. Of course it was nothing but seed. I have about 35 more plants left still. Yes it's now the middle of November and it's supposed to get down to 22 tonight and for the next 10 days it's gonna be highs in the 30's to low 40's with lows around 19-22 degrees with some chances of freezing rain and sleet.

Now my plants I have left has left me scratching my head.... Got about 12 plants of critical mass and these are all clones of my mother from last year and I took some in late August which was the time period I was expecting with these. They are a sativa dominent looking plant with a good taste and high but yield hasn't been very big but the smoke really mmm.

I have some Neville's Haze 6 plants, Neville's Skunk 3 plants, Mango Haze 5 plants and some various breedings of others I've done. Now some of these other plants I have I had some more that I had outside and they were done over a month ago but the ones I got in the inside they look like they need 2 weeks or more. The Haze's look like they need 2 more months I just can't get over how slow it's taking these inside the greenhouse vs outside.

I had one plant that was from KC Brains that was just a spectacular looking plant. It had massive colas on every branch and it was planted reall late compared to the others and it looked pretty awesome. It had some seed in it but not a lot. Then we had a cold front stall out right over where we live in early Oct I think it was. It got kinda cool and rained or misted everyday for 8 days straight. I bought more fans and had fans blowing directly on my more indica doment plants like this KC39. I ended up chopping her too early because I could see mold on a bud.
I trimmed her up and the colas were really nice and firm and the size of your forearm. I ended up cutting a seed out of one of the buds and noticed a bunch of white mold come out with it. So I broke open the bud and it was solid mold on the inside. I looked through the rest of the bud I had trimmed up and 3/4 of that had white mold on the inside. I ended up throwing out 3/4 of this beautiful plant. Still got 8O off her. Wish I had some clones of her. :(
Speaking of clones. I put out around 50 or so clones in my greenhouse 3 weeks ago so I'll be glad when they start putting on if they make it.

But overall my outside plants have been far and away my biggest yielders and earlier finishers and had much less mold. I put most lot them out in July on a last moment kinda decision. I had them in 3 gal pots I my greenhouse and they were a foot tall. Didn't have the room so out they went. Glad I did. They ended getting around 7 ft tall on the biggest one and of the ones I have gotten too I haven't gotten less than 305 grams.
I think my critical mass/ Mulanje is gonna have a pounder in their.

Another big yielder for me was Iranian Auto/ Mulanje. Seems everything I bred the Mulanje too has yielded very very well. The smoke of my sour diesel and Critical Skunk has been really popular. Think the skunk is a little better smoke as far as taste and effects go. The Sour has some people complaining of being paranoid as hell off it.

I have some questions??....Skunk.
Where on the equator are you? Weather temperature exedra... Are these things you consider growing such a wide spectrum of genetics. And the numbers you run, wow. Back to the genetics. Stick to one breeder or group of breeders who have a good rep on the work they produce.
Next be sure to inspect every three days regardless if you have time. Find a person you trust, or do not give yourself to much to handle.
Did you find the culprit that created this problem for you? Was is marked as such so you are able to track its origin? Important factor here... Not only for your problem but genetic wise.
PH can have a major issue bringing male tendencies back into the picture. Even on a stabilized variety. Sativa varieties can do this as well late in flowering.
Last but not least...Planting them at a incorrect time of year can lead to a huge disaster.
I sugest you read a little on genetics. And move on to some new discoveries that help you understand a tad bit more.
Remember if you only give a seed a month or two of life before inducing you create a unstable females/ Unless auto varieties that are from where?..
Farther away from the equator:)

hey, heres a old outdoor test grow a mate of mine did for me some time ago yet some thing happened similar to your experience it sounds like,

Different plants yes however my mate had these photo plants in a glass house and usually stressed with heat and abit under watered and half the plants or some got a lot of hermie sacks as you can see, the rest was fine though,

Shame you didn't pull em out earlier when having the chance, we live n learn aye.

Attachments

• outdoor sativa nz.jpg
    outdoor sativa nz.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 9
  • outdoor nz sativa type..jpg
    outdoor nz sativa type..jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 5
  • outdoor nz sativa.jpg
    outdoor nz sativa.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 6
I have some questions??....Skunk.
Where on the equator are you? Weather temperature exedra... Are these things you consider growing such a wide spectrum of genetics. And the numbers you run, wow. Back to the genetics. Stick to one breeder or group of breeders who have a good rep on the work they produce.
Next be sure to inspect every three days regardless if you have time. Find a person you trust, or do not give yourself to much to handle.
Did you find the culprit that created this problem for you? Was is marked as such so you are able to track its origin? Important factor here... Not only for your problem but genetic wise.
PH can have a major issue bringing male tendencies back into the picture. Even on a stabilized variety. Sativa varieties can do this as well late in flowering.
Last but not least...Planting them at a incorrect time of year can lead to a huge disaster.
I sugest you read a little on genetics. And move on to some new discoveries that help you understand a tad bit more.
Remember if you only give a seed a month or two of life before inducing you create a unstable females/ Unless auto varieties that are from where?..
Farther away from the equator:)

I live in the Midsouth of the southern United States. Typically on most years it won't hit freezing until the end of November or so. This year has been odd. It got down to 11 degrees and was around 15 for lows for a period of 3 weeks and since then it has been mild for this time of year and not hitting below feeding since.
I selected different selections of genetics instead of sticking with just 2-3 is because I am wanting my plants to come off in stages. Some plants come off first week of September anther set in the 2nd week and so forth. The problem was that none of the advertised times when it was supposed to be reset were ready. Every last one was a month behind advertised time of year to be ready.

I also do not induce flowering I let Mother Nature determine that since they are outside. The reason I did not stick with one breeder is everybody is wanting colorful buds and MNS does not have that as I have seen. So I looked for some purple and red buds to please those who live to gripe about wanting them. And I don't think the soil would of caused the one to Hermie. It was just plain bad genetics. It was not a feminized seed but a regular one. It was supposed to be purple as well and even in cold weather the other females of this seeds stock did bit in the least get purple even when the temps got cold.
The others produced very well but it's gonna a job trimming them.
This is my last time growing them.
I think next year I'm putting all of my hazes outside somewhere. I think they will finish faster that way. My critical skunk did well in the green house even though they were late finishing. I personally think it has to do with the diffused light as condensation builds up in the top of the plastic.

Didja grow any of your new seeds from the pollen fan party? You probably had a few new killer strains hidden in there.

In my GH & covered grow area I have had a similar experience. Mine was due to sneaky males I missed when I was huntin them down. I got so many beans that at harvest a lot of them dropped & grew the next year.

I got several new to me strains. One I call Simba, one Cleopatra, one The 13th Gate & a coupla others.

I called the ones I didn't select for future strains Wild Child. I do about 150 plants from regular beans every summer, & it gets crowded.

I know it's been months since yer last post, but thought I'd add a coupla cents worth. Like I said, I betcha got some great strains in that 'mess'.

You got an accidental 'farm line' grow [open field pollination]. :D Not necessarily a bad thing. Plus you shouldn't have to buy beans for a long time! ;)

When it happened to me, I went with it & got outta the strain 'box' a little. I first called my 'mess' Nature Made. Worked out well for me it did.

mM

Back