Afghan T / "Devil"

Northern Lights history is a little messed up on it's own most of the articles say Nevil only had a clone only females numbered 1-11 or so and he must have worked it from there. But their is a post from Nevil I believe that claims he came back to the USA for the male just didn't say anything about that back in the 80's I guess.

But either way the genetics are world famous and they were originally available through Nevil. The proof is in the seeds most are pretty good with the occasional amazing pheno.

I don't think anyone even answered the question of is there Afghan T in Devil. If not, what is the afghan in devil?

Nevil wrote about going to USA to purchase the NL#5 MOTHER cut.
The male he used in the NL#5 seed line was the MLI/NL#1 male, as Old Spice already explained.

Not sure what Old Spice said but their was never a NL#5 seed line to my understanding only a female clone only. That said even Shantibaba never admitted to having the original NL#5 clone only but a well selected plant with NL#5 genes.

I would imagine it went through a process like MNS G13 hybrids. Of course I'm not a know it all, I've been wrong before but it's very hard to find old posts from Shantibaba. Lol, I remember him saying to leave the parents out for a month or two under the sun every year to regain vigour. But I spent about a day looking for the actual post. LMAO, still haven't found it again but one thing I remember is Shantibaba posted Nevil provided nothing but seeds and Shantibaba and crew worked them from seeds.

IMO Shantibaba did decent work, sure I've found better in a lot of F2's but that just proves Shantibaba's theory of selection.

What this has to do with the Afgan T I honestly don't know. I was born about the time Nevil was the king of cannabis. Lol, I'm an 80's baby I only know what I've read. :D one thing for sure is weed hasn't gotten much if any better than a well selected SSH I've smoked dispensary weed from the West to East coast and I do just as good IMO. Of course I haven't lab tested anything I've just been smoking it the last 20+ years.

I don't think anyone even answered the question of is there Afghan T in Devil. If not, what is the afghan in devil?

Afghan. :D

You can PM Shantibaba for specifics he don't usually bother with specifics he's so busy with CBD Crew and making new lines to keep us happy I doubt he has much free time for the forums.

Bluntmussa.
Nevil had BX his NL#5 cut.
I think to bx3 or bx4 and beta for release.
Just before his arrest.
This happened when you were just a kid still.

Shanti claims to have created the strain now called "Devil" at MNS, originally called "Red Devil" either before or when he was working at greenhouse.

Arjan (who I give very little credibility to as a rule) refutes that claim.

Shanti claims ". . . to have invented the old strain called Red Devil? You probably forgot that I got those seeds 22 years ago from a guy called Richard Davis, from California. By a huge coincidence I’ve met him again, when I was attending the first American cannabis trade-show in L.A. . . . He says “Hello”!
Somebody mixed that california indica with Sams skunk#1 then did a BX to the afghan and eventually multiple companies would sell those seeds.

I've seen my pack of MNS Devil grown outdoors in California and in my experience, it was nothing like the Jim Ortega afghans. I think it's safe to say it's an old line based on US worked genetics, whoever finally turned it into a pack of seeds for sale.

I don't think anyone else even sells it now, so in the end, it seems Shanti loved it more than Arjan did. What does that tell you?
Maybe Arjan brought back the seeds, Shanti worked them and feels the resulting line is his work?
Man these old stories . . .

Just my OPINION here....

Plant lines change with time. If you are searching for a type of plant or high from 20-30 years ago, it's gone, UNLESS it's a clone. Chasing pedigrees is like chasing the wind. I know some like to "nail down" what's in their plants. This would require every person in the chain of growers to be both correct about lineage, and careful about selection. This doesn't happen. Or maybe I should say it's rare as hen's teeth.

Find a line you like, play with those genetics and go from there.

Exactly.. and how far back do you want to go with the credit. Plant has too long of a history...

Last edited:
Old 09-16-2010, 12:37 AM

Hey Neville, is the current MNS Afghan Skunk related to Super Skunk?
Old 09-16-2010, 12:50 AM
Breeder

Yep. Through AfgT (maple Leaf).
N.

Back