Aero cloner vs bubbler cloner, which one is the best system?

SophiaL

After Zig-Zagz thread, I been looking into the two cloning system and the two that seen more spread are, the Bubbler cloner, like the one Zig is making, that use and airstone and a air pump, and the Aero cloner, that use sprinklers and a water pump

Both seen fairly easy to build and price is similar too, so the big question is, wich one to go for?

So if you have use one or the other, or better, both system, please share your thoughts

Bongo, I seen that you have build both system, wich one you prefer and why?
best ringtones, zedge, popular ringtones download

Last edited:
Hi there, ms Loren. It is you isn't it?
'Fraid I can't help with the cloney things, absolutely no experience with them.
But what I can say is that rockwool, soil, or those sponges all work very well.
It's pretty easy to get near 100% with any of those methods.
Take care,
beauthebulldog

I have an EZ cloner 64 space which is think is similar the Aero Cloner you speak of and it works good. I also have an old Aerogarden unit that I converted to a bubble style cloning machine and it works even better. It roots clones sometimes in a week. The Aerogarden has two small fluorescent lights that are built into it that raise up and down. I don't use the air or water pump that is built into the Aerogarden I turn that stuff off and add my own air stones and my own air pump to it - and it works awesome. I put three small air stones in the Aerogarden reservoir to spread the bubbles out. I made my own (not neoprene) inserts out of that pink spongy type of Styrofoam that electronics are sometimes packed in, and I think is also a type of Styrofoam insulation at the hardware store (it is spongy not rigid). Aerogardens are for sale at almost all thrift stores now because they have been around awhile. I have never used the LED style Aerogarden so I can't vouch for it but the one with the little fluorescent bulbs works great as a bubble cloner. It only comes with seven sights. I almost always put four or five clones in each hole and as long as I don't let the roots tangle it works great. And it's cheap. I only use rooting hormone and PH adjusted well water with no nutrients at all. That's my two cents at least.

I have built, re-designed and used both water cloning systems myself. I have the total cost down to building them for less than $20. The bubble cloners work better in the long run in my experience, as they do not clog up, which sprinklers/emitters seem to always do.

Simple bubble cloner:

Buy a one gallon square plastic tub with lid for $1 and a pool noodle with the hole running the center length of it for $1 at the Dollar Store. Then get a cheap aquarium pump at WalMart for $10. Then get a ring bubbler for $3. That is all you need for a bubble cloner, for all of $15. Cut 7 holes in the top about 1-1/2 inches in diameter; one in the center and 6 around it. Then cut a small hole for the bubbler tube. Cut the pool noodle into 3/4 inch slices, and then fill the hole with a slice cut into 1/2 inch wedges. Cut a ring slot around the outer edge of pool noodle slices about 1/4 of an inch deep using a razor and then pop them into the holes in the lid. Fill he cloner with plain water (preferably pH 7). Cut your clones with a razor at a 45 degree angle and place them in the hole in the pool noodle and plug it with the small pool noodle segment. Change the water out about every 5-6 days.

Now, to make it work better, use some tape to make the plastic tub light-proof if it is transparent. Then of course you need some indoor lights to make it work. I use T-8 5100K flouro tubes at leaf level. The leaves can touch the T-8 bulbs and not burn. I also use a heat mat, as I clone in my garage which is not heated. I run it at 75 degrees, and put the thermostat sensor in the water (do not leave it in air, or it will overheat the cuttings!). Heat mats are cheap; I got a thermostat controlled one on Ebay for $25.

Last edited:
A larger bubble cloner option:

This is one revised design I came up with. I got a 3 gallon rectangular sealable storage tub at the Big Box store for $3. It is opaque and does not allow light in. I used the same pool noodle from the dollar store for $1. I cut 12 holes in the lid, and filled them with pool noodle rings the same as the bubbler model above. The tub is larger and requires a second ring bubbler (2 x $3) and hence a dual aquarium pump for $16. It also will not heat with a heat mat as the water volume is too large for that (I tried). So this design uses a submersible aquarium heater instead. That cost me $12 on Ebay. So this revised design cost me about $40, but it will clone 12-24 cuts at one time.

Then fill it with plain water, and set the heater to 75 deg F. and submerge it. Then put the cuttings in. The advantage of the hollow center pool noodle is that you can put more than one clone cutting in one plug, and you can remove the rooted clones w/o removing the foam ring. You can also get solid pool noodles, and after slicing them like pepperoni and slicing the edge to seat them into the lid, cut a straight line from one edge to the center and lock the stems in there. Change the water out about every 5-6 days. They should root within a few weeks. Some strains are harder than others to root.

Easy peasy. I have rooted over 100 clones using both the cloners that I have described here. I used to root clones in soil after dipping them in RootTone, but soil is not always sterile, and you cannot see what is rooting in soil. Soil is also harder than water to keep evenly heated at 75 degrees F. and keep watered without over watering or letting them dry out.

Last edited:
After Zig-Zagz thread, I been looking into the two cloning system and the two that seen more spread are, the Bubbler cloner, like the one Zig is making, that use and airstone and a air pump, and the Aero cloner, that use sprinklers and a water pump

Both seen fairly easy to build and price is similar too, so the big question is, wich one to go for?

So if you have use one or the other, or better, both system, please share your thoughts

The aero/daisy cloner makes better roots imo, and a little faster. But biggest problem is keeping the sprayer clean(BIG problem), they can get clogged from the smallest piece of sand or organic matter.And you wont know unless you peak under there or can tell from the sound.

Last edited:
Back