90s NL5 x Haze USA Version. AKA. The Cough

59lespaul

Anyone have any info on this strain?

This is a USA Pure Haze Male x original NL5 clone only, originally from Colorado, and taken to California in the 90s.

This version never went to Europe, and didn't come from Europe.

I had a strain in the 90s that got confiscated by the feds, and it was a cross of NL5/Hz.. The Cough x Skelly Hashplant x SSSC Sk1.

Every hit was lung buster, and the best stuff I have seen since the 70s, and some of the best shit of all time, and was done in 7 weeks. Medium production. Ive been smoking since 67. This was good shit.

Tasted like the best hash Nepal could come up with. The weed alone was better than almost any hash Ive ever smoked. People would get sick, and mad, and swear I put chemicals in it.

Anyone heard of this strain? I found some crosses of it.

The Cough x SSH F3... AKA Super Silver Cough.... Best out of 250 Mr Nice SSH Females, taken to F3. Haze Skunk Leaning.

The Cough x Oregon Huckleberry IBL ( Worked 80s BOEL Blueberry/DJ Short )

Blue Heron.
Blue Magoo x The Cough

Last edited:
Sounds like Fort Collins cough, which I understand to be an old Nl5Hz cut. I read somewhere on here that a forum member found a clone of it in a Colorado dispensary for something like $10.

I bought 2 packs each of the 1s I mentioned above.

Dynasty Genetics has them, and have a great reputation. Hes had the cut since the 90s.

On the subject of NL5Hz in the USA, I'm of the opinion that the NYC haze, Piff, uptown haze, etc., was a special Nl5HzA pheno. Nevil never sold Nl5HzA seed commercially, but he did have seed that available and did meet directly with large-quantity buyers at the Cannabis Castle. I surmise that he sold a batch of seed directly to someone who was connected to the Dominicans who ran that operation. The timing fits, because the Piff first showed up in the early 1990s.

The Cough Dynasty Seeds talks about isn't from Nevil, and is from USA.

He specifically states as much. Its a Pure Haze 1 of his buddies made in the 90s from pure Hz x NL5

The Mother of this hybrid, The Cough, is a very special clone only cut of an Old NL#5/Haze..
I first received The Cough in the late 90s from a friend who moved to Oregon from Colorado.. At the time I was gifted the cut, I was told it was the original NL#5 clone crossed with a Haze Bros Haze that he had been growing in colorado..

He assured me this strain is NOT the same as the NL#5/Haze that came from Amsterdam… It is named ‘The Cough’ for a good reason, it Makes you COUGH… She has nice medicinal values, great yields and is Powder Mildew resistant… I’ve seen her in rooms covered with PM and she never once showed any signs of it..
With her 12+week bloom time, she is an advanced strain to grow which made her close to extinct when everyone went for faster blooming strain as the Kush trend took hold of the scene…. I knew how special she was, and could not bring myself to let her go… Over 15 years later I still have the original cough that I was gifted..

This is a photo crossed to the Oregon Huckleberry IBL

Attachments

• Huck-Cough-V1-b-1-of-1-300x300.jpg
    Huck-Cough-V1-b-1-of-1-300x300.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
the story sounds a little fishy if you ask me.
it would be great if its true.

where did this "pure haze bros haze" come from,
and this original nl5 clone,
but neither of them were kept, but the hybrid was?
im sure it is good, but where is the pure haze?

Cough is well known cut. Its known as Fort Collins Cough, and other names, but Nevil never had anything to do with this strain

The Scoop: Ft. Collins Cough is a fantastic clone only Sativa hailing from Ft. Collins, Colorado. This rare, clone only strain is a cross of Northern Lights # 5 and Haze # 17.
The Result: Ft. Collins Cough will turn your eyes red and send your mind through the clouds with its distinct hazy flavor. Some rare fire that’s typically found in snowy Colorado.
Type: Sativa ( 80% Sativa / 20% Indica )
Also Known As: Foco Cough, Colorado Cough, The Cough
Genetics: Northern Lights # 5 x Haze # 17
Origin: Born and bred in Colorado.
How Stoned Will You Get: She’s a solid 9
Average THC: 19-21%
Average Price Per ⅛: $40
Find a dispensary near you today carrying Fort Collins Cough
Strain Profile/The Science: Ft. Collins Cough will leave you in a hazy daze, and the funky frankincense flavor will stay on the breath for hours. This strain, native to Colorado, has a cult following and is legendary in CO’s snowy mountains.
Appearance: These dense, spherical-shaped buds come to a fingered point at their tips, a trait reminiscent of a Sativa, more specifically a Haze. These buds are broccoli green with light to dark tinted purples that can really be seen if you crack open a nug. These colas are covered in resin which twinkles in the light and appears snow-covered like that of the mountainous region in which Ft. Collins Cough originates. Pumpkin colored hairs crawl up the sides of her dense buds, like ivy clinging to an English manor.
Consistency: She is a sticky one, and will definitely require a grinder to break up.
Scent: Ft. Collins Cough is one of those unique strains with an overpowering aroma that’s nearly impossible to contain. Sweet strawberry tones emanate from this gorgeous bud and are paired with that old school haze – a throwback to the 60s with its frankincense / sandalwood scent. This stuff reeks big time – even through multiple baggies – making her an unlikely candidate for those trying to maintain discretion. Strong undertones of pine and skunk compliment the strawberry haze like a funk that seeps into your olfactory. Hands down, this is some of the best smelling herb in the world!
Taste: Ft. Collins Cough has a flavor that is so unique, it simply needs its own category. The sweet flavor of strawberry jam fills the mouth and lingers for hours. This strawberry jam flavor is pungent and followed by strong haze-like flavors that coat your mouth and clean your palate. Floral tones of sandalwood take over and compliment this candy-like berry flavor. There are strong back tones of pine that can be tasted on the exhale along with funky / haze overtones that will reek up an entire neighborhood.
Effect: Ft. Collins Cough will send you soaring into the clouds like a bird where you will stay elevated for a good 3 hours. This bud hits you in the head, immediately putting a smile on your face, and lowering your eyes lids. A relaxing feeling can be observed in the head, specifically in the temples, as the flower’s potent cannabinoids keep you soaring throughout the day. A perfect bud to smoke before going to the movies as it leaves you super medicated yet wide awake!
Strain Background: Ft. Collins Cough or just The Cough is prevalent in the state of Colorado. This clone only strain is among Colorado’s most notable strains and is right up there with Bruce Banner.
Growth and Seed Info: She grows tall, and takes time flower out her long, smelly buds; the wait is well worth it!
Find the best deals on weedmaps today
Pros: High Yielder
Cons: Long Flowering Time
Original Breeder: Clone only
Current Breeder: Clone only
Known Phenotypes: Sativa
Flowering Time: 70 + days
Flowering Type: SCROG
Growth Height: 6 to 7 ft
Expected Yield: 1.5 to 2 lbs / 1000 w
Garden Skill Level: Expert
Breeder Quote/Advice: LST, topping, and SCROG are highly recommended
Medical Uses: Aches and pains, stress, appetite
Verdict: This medicinal herb with a recreational punch is a perfect companion for a day of tearing up the slopes on your mountain bike or snowboard. A local favorite, Ft. Collins Cough is sure to please the pickiest of palates while propelling the most seasoned of stoners to the moon. This serious herb is considered somewhat of a legend around Colorado, as many fakes and watered down versions exist – which ultimately only add to this strains hype.
Related Strains:NL #5, Haze # 17

the story sounds a little fishy if you ask me.
it would be great if its true.

To me it seems the term 'clone only strain' is often misinterpreted or misused. Parent plants may be dead, or unknown to the masses through ignorance or by design of a 'breeder', but every plant has 2 parents.

I'm no authority on this, but I've probably smoked enough 5haze today to contribute :D A grower, when he saw pics of our MNS 5Hz grow, said 'What cut of NL5 x Haze is this? She looks different than the Fort Collins cough.' He seems to think Cough is a cut of Nevil's 5Haze, rather than an entirely separate line from different parents.

I really don't know the truth, but it seems perhaps a little delusional to assume this '5Haze cut' doesn't originate from Nevil's seedbank work.
Do we have any evidence/reason to believe the Fort Collins cough was bred prior to 1988? Do we have any evidence that the breeder of Cough ever possessed pure haze plants, or the original NL5 cut? (I'm not denying it, but I'm not blinding assuming it to be true either). We can readily adduce evidence that Nevil was shipping 5haze seeds internationally, by 1990, at a time when marijuana propagation and distribution carried heavy federal penalties in the USA.

Cough is well known cut. Its known as Fort Collins Cough, and other names, but Nevil never had anything to do with this strain

The Scoop: Ft. Collins Cough is a fantastic clone only Sativa hailing from Ft. Collins, Colorado. This rare, clone only strain is a cross of Northern Lights # 5 and Haze # 17.
The Result: Ft. Collins Cough will turn your eyes red and send your mind through the clouds with its distinct hazy flavor. Some rare fire that’s typically found in snowy Colorado.
Type: Sativa ( 80% Sativa / 20% Indica )
Also Known As: Foco Cough, Colorado Cough, The Cough
Genetics: Northern Lights # 5 x Haze # 17
Origin: Born and bred in Colorado.
How Stoned Will You Get: She’s a solid 9

Strain Background: Ft. Collins Cough or just The Cough is prevalent in the state of Colorado. This clone only strain is among Colorado’s most notable strains and is right up there with Bruce Banner.

Original Breeder: Clone only
Current Breeder: Clone only
Known Phenotypes: Sativa
Flowering Time: 70 + days

This serious herb is considered somewhat of a legend around Colorado, as many fakes and watered down versions exist – which ultimately only add to this strains hype.
Related Strains:NL #5, Haze # 17

Problems exist in relying on/trusting information from a source such as 'Weedmaps' (as in this example) or 'Leafly', which are both for-profit companies with unknown shareholders, and interests, who do not offer any citations to support their strain data. 'Leafly', for example, lists 'Greenhouse Seeds' as the breeder of Neville's Haze. When I wrote them to suggest listing Mr Nice as the breeder, they basically laughed at me. Perhaps they have other interests than reality?
Should we rely on an article that claims NL5 x Haze, a 50/50 indica sativa hybrid, is "80% Sativa / 20% Indica"? There seems to be a new, widespread, Americanized way of interpreting strains, where we find anything with 30% authentic sativa traits labelled as '100% sativa' in the dispensaries :D

I read somewhere Nevil state that, by the time he secured the NL5 clone, he had already produced breeding parents from NL5 seed which were superior to the original clone, so he never used the US cutting to breed. Can anybody offer insight?

My understanding is that the Fort Collins cough is a clone of Nl5Hz from The Seed Bank in Holland. This is the first I've ever heard that it is an "American" version of Nl5Hz. I have no doubt that the seed that produced this clone was germinated and grown in Colorado, but I see no reason to believe that the seed was produced outside of Holland.

Sometimes people get more high on stories than plants. Could be true, could be BS. Too much of the story is second hand for me to believe it personally. If the weed is worthy, who gives a ship? If the weed is bunk, who gives a ship?

Marketers are one group that would..

Last edited:
I believe the Original Haze used for the Cough came from Cultivators Choice, in 1985.

The ORIGINAL NL5 clone is all over the PNW.

Original Haze is also still available from Eddie Reedeker. Flying Dutchmen.
And he also the earlier version of Sk1 which is Sativa Dominant. Called, The PURE.

Original Haze is also still available from Eddie Reedeker. Flying Dutchmen.
And he also the earlier version of Sk1 which is Sativa Dominant. Called, The PURE.

Eddie sold FD to Sensi Seeds getting on for 10 years ago. The seeds offered currently are not quality controlled, quality is off by a country mile.

Buyer beware.

You are right mate and also there haze is not haze anymore.

:(

Thanks for confirming my and others findings English, it's tragic they screwed over a legendary company, sorry you had to find out the hard way too.

When Eddie was in charge they were a quality seed bank.

I did Haleys Comet and The Pure + a few others here and there every year from about '04, when the newer blue packaging started the plants were all over the place, like shitty mix packs instead of varieties that had been consistent, hardy and potent.

I grew strictly sensimilla and always binned males back then, very stupid of me looking back but like the song goes, you don't know what you've got til it's gone.

To me it seems the term 'clone only strain' is often misinterpreted or misused. Parent plants may be dead, or unknown to the masses through ignorance or by design of a 'breeder', but every plant has 2 parents.

I'm no authority on this, but I've probably smoked enough 5haze today to contribute :D A grower, when he saw pics of our MNS 5Hz grow, said 'What cut of NL5 x Haze is this? She looks different than the Fort Collins cough.' He seems to think Cough is a cut of Nevil's 5Haze, rather than an entirely separate line from different parents.

I really don't know the truth, but it seems perhaps a little delusional to assume this '5Haze cut' doesn't originate from Nevil's seedbank work.
Do we have any evidence/reason to believe the Fort Collins cough was bred prior to 1988? Do we have any evidence that the breeder of Cough ever possessed pure haze plants, or the original NL5 cut? (I'm not denying it, but I'm not blinding assuming it to be true either). We can readily adduce evidence that Nevil was shipping 5haze seeds internationally, by 1990, at a time when marijuana propagation and distribution carried heavy federal penalties in the USA.

Problems exist in relying on/trusting information from a source such as 'Weedmaps' (as in this example) or 'Leafly', which are both for-profit companies with unknown shareholders, and interests, who do not offer any citations to support their strain data. 'Leafly', for example, lists 'Greenhouse Seeds' as the breeder of Neville's Haze. When I wrote them to suggest listing Mr Nice as the breeder, they basically laughed at me. Perhaps they have other interests than reality?
Should we rely on an article that claims NL5 x Haze, a 50/50 indica sativa hybrid, is "80% Sativa / 20% Indica"? There seems to be a new, widespread, Americanized way of interpreting strains, where we find anything with 30% authentic sativa traits labelled as '100% sativa' in the dispensaries :D

I read somewhere Nevil state that, by the time he secured the NL5 clone, he had already produced breeding parents from NL5 seed which were superior to the original clone, so he never used the US cutting to breed. Can anybody offer insight?

G `day TF

Nevil went to the states ...
Didn`t hook up with the Northern Lights Crew . Met an associate ,"the Indian " who didn`t have the real deal .

Came home with Big Bud , G13 and Hash Plant instead .

The NL Nevil had was in the Netherlands . Smuggled by an American .

Thanks for sharin

EB

My understanding is that the Fort Collins cough is a clone of Nl5Hz from The Seed Bank in Holland. This is the first I've ever heard that it is an "American" version of Nl5Hz. I have no doubt that the seed that produced this clone was germinated and grown in Colorado, but I see no reason to believe that the seed was produced outside of Holland.
Perhaps the confusion is just one of distinction. It seems certain that the Colorado cough has been maintained in the US for some decades, but this lends no credibility to the notion that it was bred in the US. It is at least as plausible that it was germinated in the US from seed produced by The Seed Bank, especially in the absence of any credible breeder taking credit for this 'cut'.

It'd be quite the coincidence if there were proven to be 2 separate 'NL5 x Haze' lines out there, from entirely different sets of parents, which are so similar that growers have mistaken them for being of the same ancestry all these years :D But still possible, I'm sure.

G `day TF
Nevil went to the states ...
Didn`t hook up with the Northern Lights Crew . Met an associate ,"the Indian " who didn`t have the real deal .

Came home with Big Bud , G13 and Hash Plant instead .

The NL Nevil had was in the Netherlands . Smuggled by an American .
EB
Thanks EB :)

Its said the Male used was called Haze #17.

Any info on Haze #17?

Top Dawg also has a Mango Cough.

After further research, its also believed the Haze #17 came from SSSC.

Its said the Male used was called Haze #17.

Any info on Haze #17?

Top Dawg also has a Mango Cough.

After further research, its also believed the Haze #17 came from SSSC.

G `day AT

Haze was sold by Positronics , The Flying Dutchman and Nevil . SSSC didn`t have Haze .

They had landrace hybrids such as Thai x Durban . They also had acquired Skunk and Northern Lights . But unlike some folks who broke their promises they didn`t repro or back cross and sell as pure strains .

Mr Soul from Bros Grimm was actually their State side distributor for a time .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Last edited:
Back