Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 5. Strain Base > Super Silver Haze

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2010, 07:12 AM

Default Making your SSH selection(s)

Hello all,
4 weeks ago I started my first SSH seeds, something I've been looking forward to since I had my first taste. All is going very well and they all look very healthy, a couple are even beyond the 5th node already. I know it is early for me to worry about, but I am curious about the various phenotypes others have encountered. There are alot of pics out there of many SSH grows and lots to sort through. I was hoping maybe some of the folks who are able may be able to post pics of thier SSHs from early veg, when they showed sex, and any from flowering and finished along with any sort of descriptions they are willing to add of thier pheno(s). It would be interesting to see how certain traits may tend to be present in particular phenotypes. It may also help people have a better idea of what they may want to look for when selecting thier own. I understand every seed will be different and generalizations can't nessecarilly be made considering the random nature of genetics. However, over large populations there are bound to be consistancies.

I wish I were able to provide a full write up, but I am several months from having final descriptions of my plants. I do plan to clone and flower every female I get out of these plants and will then be able to give a nice run down of what I had and what I plan to keep. It would be nice to see some people willing to contribute here and perhaps this will catch on with all the other strains here on the forums. There are alot of journals etc already posted, thank you to all who have contributed in that way already, but they tend to be many pages long and may or may not contain quality info regarding phenotypes. A thread like this would consolidate good useful info into one place and make it easy to compare photos etc. Consider it if you are able to contribute.

Thank you,
EC
Old 02-07-2010, 07:22 AM
Scorpion

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Chunkarino View Post
Hello all,
4 weeks ago I started my first SSH seeds, something I've been looking forward to since I had my first taste. All is going very well and they all look very healthy, a couple are even beyond the 5th node already. I know it is early for me to worry about, but I am curious about the various phenotypes others have encountered. There are alot of pics out there of many SSH grows and lots to sort through. I was hoping maybe some of the folks who are able may be able to post pics of thier SSHs from early veg, when they showed sex, and any from flowering and finished along with any sort of descriptions they are willing to add of thier pheno(s). It would be interesting to see how certain traits may tend to be present in particular phenotypes. It may also help people have a better idea of what they may want to look for when selecting thier own. I understand every seed will be different and generalizations can't nessecarilly be made considering the random nature of genetics. However, over large populations there are bound to be consistancies.

I wish I were able to provide a full write up, but I am several months from having final descriptions of my plants. I do plan to clone and flower every female I get out of these plants and will then be able to give a nice run down of what I had and what I plan to keep. It would be nice to see some people willing to contribute here and perhaps this will catch on with all the other strains here on the forums. There are alot of journals etc already posted, thank you to all who have contributed in that way already, but they tend to be many pages long and may or may not contain quality info regarding phenotypes. A thread like this would consolidate good useful info into one place and make it easy to compare photos etc. Consider it if you are able to contribute.

Thank you,
EC
Ola Chunk!
My best advice for SSH is ....

Clone ALL seed plants until you know what you have...really important.
This is why,
SSH is such an outstanding Cannabis Hybrid ,
that you stand to get
The Best Marijuana you ever had in a single pack of seed.
and you will cry like a kid when you smoke that killer weed and then remember ...
"Oh crap,I did not clone that one cause it was smaller than the rest"...

I use Hesi Coco Complete Nutrient line as recommended with coco fibre medium,
phosophoric acid {PH down} and HyGrozyme Enzyme
RO water
400 watt MH...for growth
600 watt HPS...for bloom set until week 4
1000 watt HPS...from week 4 until harvest
this has been a fail safe Haze growers system for me,no problems since I switched.
I prefer sunlight but this works great indoors too.

good luck

Last edited by Scorpion; 02-07-2010 at 07:31 AM. Reason: add nutrient list
Old 02-09-2010, 06:09 AM

Scorpion I think you missed the point of this thread. I am hoping we can keep this thread about phenotypes people have kept and the desirable traits that are associated with these phenotypes, not filled with posts about what people used in thier grow or suggestions on how to grow SSH, there are plenty of threads for that.

I am curious to see what others have gotten and if anything I have may look similar in any stages of growth. This is not to try to cut corners in making my selection, but an attempt to look for similarities from one persons experiences to the next. In order to do this a very large sample size is required, much larger than most people are able to pull off. This is why I was hoping people who have posted a SSH journal that documented thier grow through the stages of developement would be willing to include some of that info here. It would bring alot of this info together into one place rather than intersperced with feedback etc over many threads in the forums.

This may not be anything of interest to anyone but myself, but I feel it would be interesting to see a break down of phenos along with pics. I think it would be a very nice way to show off some of the variations in SSH as well as possibly aid others with thier initial grow. If halfway through flower one of my plants has behaved exactly like someone elses plant up to that point as well as look similar, I may be able to make an educated guess as to how long it has to go until finish. Of course in the end it all comes down to how my plants finish to make my choice.

So if you have info/pics that would be of use for these purposes please feel free to post what you can. When I have something more than a few pics of seedlings I will share what I can from my experience. Let us assume that anyone reading this thread is able to or has already finished thier SSH grow and needs no help in getting that part done. If the thread is kept on topic there will be much less content to be skipped over while reviewing the thread.

Thanks again,
EC
Old 02-09-2010, 11:23 PM
Scorpion

Well like I said "clone everything"
pheno types will be tall ,short ,fast flower ,long flowers,
with most being of similar Taste and Potency with some,
being Super Strong and a few being worthless...
this is my grow from two seasons ago...
http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/showthread.php?t=797
a few different "Phenos" in there.

peace
Scorpion
Old 02-10-2010, 05:10 AM

like Scorp said clone everything. What to look for is all personal so what to look for is all about what you like,,,they're will be fast flowers, long flowering, short, tall and then everything in beween. If you take short cuts you could regret but you can always clone the one's that have physical characteristics that will indicate their nature. I always look for fat indica leaves and short stretch, but thats what i like while others love the 12plus week pheno's

Card carrying medical marijuana patient...any and all cannabis is for PERSONAL medical use!
Old 02-10-2010, 09:52 AM

for me it is the 12 week+ phenos to look for. stretchy, tall and sativa-like. The smoke is still pretty 'mixed'. You can still feel the indica in there but get sooooo high first....

It is as others have said, this is no Mango Haze - there isn't really one specific pheno to go for. It really is down to taste with this one.

For me, as a very heavy smoker in the daytime (who just LOVES wake-and-bake..) and a much lighter night-time smoker, if I go for the indica phenos I'm finished by lunchtime!

This cross is grown for many different reasons: commercial, head stash, for the hit, for a bit of wake-and-bake, medicinal, as a quick flowering sativa, as a super high indica....that's why this cross is the World's no 1.....it is every plant for every man.

I know what is going on, though. You are so excited by your crop that you just can't wait to see what you've got! I don't blame you but this is one plant you'll have to figure out yourself..

Good Luck - but you won't need it.

One more thing - with the more sativa leaning girls, you may think that you've wasted your time as the buds will be small and fluffy. Hold onto your hat. They expand in the last few weeks like you've never seen - that's what I love about growing the Haze...

GS
Old 02-10-2010, 10:00 AM

PS I think Scorpion DID get the idea of this thread. He clearly says 'clone everything.'

That is the best advice for phenotypic selection with this baby.

Also, if you look closely, you will see that his nute regime was added after he posted his concise advice, probably for completeness.

Good on you Scorpion.

GS

If anybody notices a change of my tone, I have decided to be nice to everybody at all times on this thread now. I feel like a billion Euros, so I want everybody else to as well. We all deserves the benefit of the doubt.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover Sativa View Post
PS I think Scorpion DID get the idea of this thread. He clearly says 'clone everything.'

That is the best advice for phenotypic selection with this baby.
'nuff said.
Like el Chunkarino, I'm in the process of selecting my SSHs, and I was looking for specific phenotypes... Until a few days ago, as they are in their fifth week of bloom. Now I understand what Scorpion, Grover Sativa and sbd420 meant. I have 7 phenos of SSH... No two are alike ! They really express a mix of all the parent genetics in different combinations... This is actually an amazing breeding work as they all look incredible, and moreover are very different than the Mangos !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover Sativa View Post
If anybody notices a change of my tone, I have decided to be nice to everybody at all times on this thread now. I feel like a billion Euros, so I want everybody else to as well. We all deserves the benefit of the doubt.
As you problably know by now, Grover, I'm deeply antiteist. Though, at the same time, I'm deeply christian
I mean, I don't even think Christ himself existed, but as a child, I loved reading his adventures and I believe if mankind followed his principles of life (the parabols), we'd live in a much happier place.
Why am I rambling like that ? To come to the principle that I've taken as one of the bases of my own ethics, but in reverse : do to others what you'd like others to do to you

Last edited by Silly(c)One; 02-10-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:19 PM

Hey guys hows the smoke off the indica phenos of SSH and which one of the sativas is the strongest in the strain?This is my first Shanti grow and Im doing Nevs and SSH at the same time...
thanks
Peace
MTM
Old 02-11-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Therapy Man View Post
Hey guys hows the smoke off the indica phenos of SSH and which one of the sativas is the strongest in the strain?This is my first Shanti grow and Im doing Nevs and SSH at the same time...
You're in for a serious treat... SSH AND Nevils...

For the rest, as has been stated in the thread, keep cuts of all your phenos, only time will tell which ones you'll like best !