Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 5. Strain Base > Neville's Haze

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 06:08 PM

Default Neville's Haze Indoor

This time of year in the Pacific Northwest can be awfully gloomy if you're not ready for it. In my valley, the clouds form thick carpets of black-flecked gray while rolling in from the Pacific, get bunched up and tickled while traversing the Coast Range, and pelt the long, wide valley with rain 9 months out of the year. It's dark, damp, stormy...and a relentlessly long season. No one has outdone Ken Kesey's Sometimes a Great Notion for describing the symbiosis that has to develop between person and place for one to thrive in the PNW through the seemingly never-ending rainy-season; Bernard Malmud tried--and I'm no Bernard Malmud--so I won't even try.

However, I will say this: I'm not surprised that DJ Short developed his blue lines in Oregon. If the fuzzy green herb is part of your PNW survival toolkit, you have to select for kind and uplifting varieties to maintain your sanity.

Back to the "why are we here?" question. In the winter, instead of the usual mountain biking or trail running, I spend a lot of time walking with my dog in the coastal rainforest that surrounds my tiny patch of suburban fringe. This can involve ingesting THC before hand. My favorite strains for this line of leisure are strongly uplifting, encourage visual and auditory perception shifts, are long-lasting, provide a low-dose amphetamine-like increase in brain reaction/creativity, and stimulate deep introspection. I've done what I can to keep varieties that provide these great experiences, which, for me, are symbiotically matched with our weather. In my admittedly short search (~5 years), two particular lines have continued to stand out: DJ Short's blues and the MNS Haze lines. It seems like anything that is touched by either of these lines turns out good ratios of great experiences. Having never grown Neville's Haze--the closest it seems we can get to the old lines--it seemed like the logical choice for my winter indoor grow.

I've loved reading the great N. Haze threads while waiting for flowers to emerge on mine, taking pointers from some great, experienced sativa growers. Now that the flowers are starting to form (about 5.5 weeks in to flower), I wanted to share some of the growing experience so far and see if anyone would like to comment on phenotypes.

I'll post some pictures and growing information in a few hours. It's my dog's 7th birthday and I promised him a long walk in the forest. It's noon and he's pissed that we're not already in the mountains. One more bag of Super Silver Haze (for me) and a shot of one Neville's Haze (for everyone) before I go...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2450.jpg (464.0 KB, 70 views)
Old 01-21-2011, 06:29 PM

Very nice post, I love the way you express the reasons you enjoy yourself while under the influence of mother nature's gift. More people need to understand the ranges and mood shifts this plant can give us, and like you describe, deep introspective thinking which just isn't possible without a little aid from mother nature herself.

Beautiful post, makes me want to take my dog for a walk! I'm balls deep in snow right now though lol.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:32 PM
itsbenfun

Default Sometimes a great notion

"Ken Kesey's-Sometimes a Great Notion" one of my all time favorite books. Your writting makes me want to read it again, and soon. I too have a long season of being indoors and Nevilles Haze is in my future for next year. I look forward to seeing your experiences with it.

Peace
Old 01-21-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socioecologist View Post
My favorite strains for this line of leisure are strongly uplifting, encourage visual and auditory perception shifts, are long-lasting, provide a low-dose amphetamine-like increase in brain reaction/creativity, and stimulate deep introspection. I've done what I can to keep varieties that provide these great experiences... In my admittedly short search (~5 years), two particular lines have continued to stand out: DJ Short's blues and the MNS Haze lines.
Hi Socioecologist! Peace!

Yeah that quoted & underlined above!!!!!!!

For my next purchase hopefully Summer 2011 for Winter 2011/12 seed/breeding grows (vs. Spring/Summer Sinsemilla grows), I am considering Neville's Haze or DJ Short's FLO for those reasons you so beautifully articulate above - I enjoy the same kinds of qualities in my Sativa-leaning strains. And WOW-ZAZ on the Shupa Shilva Hazhe! Just like back in Amsterdam, a truly uplifting and cerebral introspective strain full of energy. The energy could just as easily be channeled by extroverts for social or dance avenues.

Wow, 5.5 weeks to start to see flowers? If you would be so kind, pls let us know when you first started to see pistils and/or preflowers(?). This kind of strain will be hard for me to grow b/c I usually pick at my plants to allow others to live to full harvest (when I don't have dried stash). A long harvest may make this an impossibility, or at the very least a difficulty that will be a challenge to bring a plant to full harvest.

Thanks.

Peace!

I grow medical marijuana in Jerusalem, Israel. I like to grow and breed both pure strains, as well as cross new strains. I like T-5 lights for summer indoor growing, and I like Metal Halide + High Pressure Sodium lights for winter growing. I love outdoor growing, but it does have both advantages, as well as disadvantages. Indoor growing is cleanest bud!!

SSH:

AH:
Old 01-21-2011, 09:27 PM

beautifully written post Soceologist, it was a joy to read.

tell your dog we said Happy B-day.

sometimes there's nothing more therapeutic than a walk with the dog to face the winter blues head-on by getting out in the thick of it. definitely not an everyday thing but your dog's b-day is certainly reason enough.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:20 AM

Default Winds from the East

Thanks for the kind words. I plan on sharing the experience of growing this Neville's Haze as much as I can. I love comparing experiences, so please feel free to join in. Let's share some of those experiences described above and the plants that manifested them--plants Neville has said carry "presence".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevil View Post
As a friend said, you are smoking away and suddenly it feels like God has come into the room. I call it presence.
For me, this "presence" is a palpable experience of self-awareness--the seen but unseen are revealed and your place--temporary, ephemeral, insignificant, but here and now--within your environment are made clear. The clarity is, for me, often enhanced by immersion in nature ("as people-less as possible," I often tell myself before heading out; though truly kind herb invokes a genuine feeling of positive surprise in the chance encounters with other people). After a few hours of work, today landed a sample of unknown lineage in my vaporizer. Not the interdimensional-communication augmentation of yesterday's Super Silver Haze, but definitely uplifting and kind. It yielded the following results:

The sun peeled back the clouds this morning. The wind changed directions. The ominous electric-black dampness of yesterday seems like a dream, replaced by a pack of mis-shapen (but obviously domesticated) cottonballs in gentle migration to warmer pastures in the south. A casual observer or new transplant might take this changing of the guard as a sign: the valley, which from a high enough vantage point no less than 12 hours ago resembled a dark corner of Picasso's "Guernica," is baring its gentle pastoral soul for all to see. No one is falsely experiencing this overwhelming brightness and vitality, this effervescent outpouring of the valley's winter duality. There is nothing stark about the landscape. The warmth of the sun leaves nothing to be desired. The temperature will rise to 53F, bringing to life small flying insects, flocks of birds, new shoots on hardy plants, and many of the hibernating homo economicus. The empty parking area of the mountain I walked with my dog yesterday has 10 SUVs packed into it today. The town and weather--it seems--have gone manic in their own interrelated way.

Attached Image: Overwintering Geese, Convinced That Blue Sky in PNW = Time to Head North
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2468.jpg (606.7 KB, 158 views)
Old 01-23-2011, 12:34 AM

Default Scenes from 4000 Feet

Attachment 1: Entering the Forest
Attachment 2: Native Ferns Imitating Vertical Gardens
Attachment 3: Presence
Attachment 4: Reward--Sunshine and a Stick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2471.jpg (567.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2475.jpg (882.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2474.jpg (488.1 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2486.jpg (960.6 KB, 49 views)
Old 01-23-2011, 01:47 AM

Default Interplay Between Organism and Environment

I germinated 18 Neville's Haze seeds on Nov. 3rd, 2010. 17 survived. They were vegged in 16oz. beer cups (Black Gold potting soil) under 150w of CFL lighting (105w 6700K / 45w 3400K) for 2.5 weeks @ 24/0, then transplanted into 1 gallon smart pots with coco coir and poorly top-fed with tea. They spent the next 3 weeks under a 1000w HPS lamp (24/0).

During this time, a simple organism/environment interaction dominated the development of these 17 plants: the deliverer of nutrients (me) was afraid of burning these delicate, whispy tropical sativas and so held back--way back--on food deliveries. I wish they would have thrown a brick at me, like the floods of people on the streets of Tunisia, Mozambique, Egypt, and Bangladesh who need food and have run out of options. But plants don't have arms, bricks, or access to either. They do, like everything on our big blue ball, have the ability to communicate with other species. The organisms who communicate well with others are successful.

So long as others are listening and responding in a mutually beneficial way. I was not--and I owe them an apology. The 17 plants survived this rocky stretch of our time together, but were not thriving. This maltreatment continued for several weeks after changing the light regime to 11/13, until all plants had shown their sex. 8 boys, 9 girls. Cuttings of each girl were taken, and the ladies-from-seed were immediately transplanted into 2.5 gallon nursery pots with my first bag of FFOF (I never thought I would buy pre-mixed dirt), and given their own 5x5 footprint under a 1000w MH. The boys were segregated, but allowed to continue flowering long enough to collect some pollen from each, then put back on a 24/0 light regime with plenty of nutrients.

The ladies exploded in their new dirt and light. Night and day difference. Lesson learned. They're not that delicate. And FFOF isn't bad for this stage of flowering. They're now 6 weeks into the flip, and starting to take form. 7 of the plants have a similar flower structure, leaf shape, and rate of flowering emerging, each which resemble attachment #1 in structure. There is one visibly larger yielding version of this phenotype (attachment 2). The final plant is the most compact of the group, but stacking resinous calyxes over very resinous fan leaves (attachment 3). One of the seven dominant phenotypes shares the leaf structure (but not bud structure) and high resin fan-leaves.

These two resin hounds share a strong orange-citrus oil with an effervescent undertone--as if it were partially carbonated. That feel--partial carbonation?--has been present in some of my favorite plants--there was just something about how they tickled my nose. They all are (or were, RIP) strong in the attention they command within you and the augmentation they provide. The smell also reminds me of a deceased SSH keeper, my ten week prom queen who excelled as a reality adulterant when used in combination with vigorous outdoor activities--just enough body to ward off pain, an electric uptick in response, sociable, and vision-widening (my mountain biking descents are always 16:9 letter-boxed on her). Resin hasn't made a grand entrance for the others--more on this as they continue to mature.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2460.jpg (420.1 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2452.jpg (453.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2464.jpg (575.6 KB, 45 views)
Old 01-23-2011, 02:57 AM

hey socioecologist your forest photos are soooo nice. i love the mist in the photos.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:01 PM

Default 7 Weeks of Flowering

The nine ladies just finished their 49th day flowering; the good smells are starting to waft and the resin's flowing. These are all exceptional looking and smelling plants--and very unique in both departments from any other variety I've grown (outside of SSH). Early vaporizer tests of resiny leaves have left me very relaxed, with good visual distortions with heightened hearing. Very enjoyable and strong effect for this early in flower--though it's heavier (body) than I expected.

There is one plant in particular that I can't stop staring at. The calyxes look identical to my old SSH keeper (they share a very similar scent as well). The flowers are huge with an unmistakable turquoise sheen, the pistils a fiery orange--they look cartoonish. I think I might be in love.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2496.jpg (853.8 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2497.jpg (514.6 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2501.jpg (379.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2511.jpg (896.2 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2515.jpg (460.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2517.jpg (492.7 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by socioecologist; 01-30-2011 at 11:10 PM.