Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 5. Strain Base > Neville's Haze

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 05:01 PM

Default Nevil's Haze versus Holland seedbank Haze

I am wondering about the relationship between Neville's haze and the Holland Seedbank Haze of the late 80s.
What is the relationship?

I know that when "Neville's Haze" first appeared several years ago it was from another company, I can't remember which one:

Is that other earlier "Nevilles Haze" strain the basis of "MNS Nevilles Haze"?

Of course the original Nevil's Haze was the Holland Seedbank Haze, because for all practical purposes Nevil was the Holland Seedbank.

What I am wondering is: What is the relationship between the older "Nevilles Haze" to the "MNS Nevilles Haze";

And furthermore what is the relationship between MNS haze, and the Holland Seedbank Haze?

Is MNS Neville's Haze a direct descendant of the Holland Seedbank Haze of the 80's?
If so, how many generations removed?
Also are there any other relavent details concerning the relationship between Nevilles Haze and Holland Seedbank Haze.

I have never tried either of the discussed "Nevilles Haze" but have seen many pictures of both and I have noticed that the buds seem to be much more stretched out and airy then the original Holland Seedbank Haze(which I am intimately familiar with, all of my personal strains are founded on it), although The MNS version appears to be vastly better and more like the original Holland Seedbank Haze.
Thank You,
Joshua.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:27 PM

hi Joshua

Quote:
I have never tried either of the discussed "Nevilles Haze" but have seen many pictures of both and I have noticed that the buds seem to be much more stretched out and airy then the original Holland Seedbank Haze(which I am intimately familiar with, all of my personal strains are founded on it), although The MNS version appears to be vastly better and more like the original Holland Seedbank Haze.
There was no pure Haze released from The SeedBank (Nevil's company) , ever .

Do you refer to the NLxHaze strain from TheSeedBank?

or the "Neville's Haze" strain that was first released by GreenHouseSeed co?

The strain "Neville's Haze" that Nevil created back in mid/late 90s, was first released by Nevil when he was working(co-owner actually) as a breeder in GreenHouseSeeds co.

After ~'98, Nevil and Shantibaba (owner of MNS) joined forces and MNS is the only company that has the original parents.

So the NH strain was first released by GH seeds with Nevil beeing the breeder and only person to have access to the parent stock...and after 98 the original NH is only sold by MNS. According to Shanti who has Nevils original parent plants , the NH is exactly the same as it was when first created in mid/late 90s..

After '98 the NH strain sold by GHSeed co is not the same as the original , since when Nevil left GHS he took his parent plants with him and no other GHS staff had access to the parent plants ever.

What year did you buy your NH?

By the way NH didnt exist back in the 80s...

And thats why I asked if you maybe refer to the NL5xHaze strain that was released more like in late 80s/early 90s???
Old 11-02-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L33t View Post
hi Joshua

And thats why I asked if you maybe refer to the NL5xHaze strain that was released more like in late 80s/early 90s???

It was 1987 I think,maybe 88 or 86,, 80% sure it was 1987. close to 25 years ago, I had a copy of the catalog, ordered through an ad in High Times. It was the premiere strain of the catalog and the Seed bank's first time to introduce it, and it was the most expensive. It was the original Haze.

Pure Haze. The Holland Haze, or just The Haze.
I guess None of the other seed sellers in Holland were interested in ripping it from Nevil like they did all the other strains because it had too long of a budding cycle, so when the Holland Seedbank went down nobody else had it pure.
They all scoffed with Ed Rosenthal because Nevil didn't believe in using a gas chromatograph. But after Nevil Disappeared, ED declared the Cannabis Male to be obsolete, and The Great Holland Dope Renaissance of the 80s ushered in By Nevil was Over.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:54 PM

This is the first time I hear about pure Haze offered by Nevil through his company The SeedBank. At least regarding a public release.
I have seen catalogues but cant recollent seeing any such offering but I havent seen em from all the different years.

I know a pure haze (HzB female x HzC male) was grown in Holland from Nevil but I m not aware if these where on a catalog or yours actually to be the HzBxHzC.
Btw according to Shanti the HzC male is still alive

Nevil has recently joined the forums , hopefully he will check this thread and will clear things up..

can you tell us a few things about this pure haze smell/taste and flowering times?

Last edited by L33t; 11-02-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:25 AM

Quote:
This is the first time I hear about pure Haze offered by Nevil through his company The SeedBank. At least regarding a public release.
I have seen catalogues but cant recollent seeing any such offering but I havent seen em from all the different years.

I know a pure haze (HzB female x HzC male) was grown in Holland from Nevil but I m not aware if these where on a catalog or yours actually to be the HzBxHzC.

Nevil has recently joined the forums , hopefully he will check this thread and will clear things up..

can you tell us a few things about this pure haze smell/taste and flowering times?
Sure,
The original Holland Haze Clone, had around a 3 ½ month budding cycle in its early years but it gradually got shorter over the years as the clone got older, to just over 3 months , when it was an old clone(around 6 years old)
It had explosive vegetative growth like nothing I have ever seen. It had sativa leaves, it was very dark green. It had alternating nodular growth once it got to the third or fourth leafset, and even tertiary shoots had the potential to give large banana buds. It was tougher than nails and grew with amazing speed and vigor. It always delivered the death bud if you had the patience , even under flourescents. It was the most photo-kinetic plant I have ever seen, like if you moved it, it would reposition itself towards the light within a period of hours. And the leaves would like fine tune them selves and tilt towards the light.
The bud was covered in stalked trichomes, valleys of perfectly formed, packed trichomes . The dried bud was extremely dense, the densest I have ever seen, like a quarter looked like an eighth, no joke, even with stems crackin’. It had large calyxes and small little rust colored hairs, and you needed to let the hairs get more red than most like 90% red and 10% white, for the trichomes to be fully mature. The finished bud was dark, dark green, but was so covered in crystals that it had a whitish sheen. It appeared very exotic and unusual.

It had a rich aromatic smell, spicy not sweet, overpowering, when you cracked the jar, smelling it made your forehead tingle a little. It had a subtle, underlying narcotic smell, almost like some kind of chemical or astringent.

It was cripplingly stony, overwhelming. It reminded me of this imported thaistick I used to get from this vet when I was young, called chocolate thaistick that was dipped in opium. It was like a powerful narcotic. Many told me it was the best they had ever tried.

All in all it was the bomb.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:35 AM

Quote:

The catalog I had didn't talk about specifics, but if I recall, it said something to the effect that it was an indian oaxacan crossed with a thai columbian, and Nevil had stated something to the effect that it was his favorite and he had been perfecting it for years and was introducing it in his catalogue for the first time. It had a warning: smoke with caution it is so strong. I thought it was hype, but I have seen people smoke it and go bonkers, even a friend of mine locked himself in the house for 2 days and gave the rest back to me. He recovered eventually.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:56 AM
british_hempire

Are you sure you're not getting confused with Lowlands Seeds/Positronics? They sold a pure Haze seedline. Sam Skunkman suld a pure Haze too but only sold his seeds within Holland for a very brief period in late 85/early 86.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by british_hempire View Post
Are you sure you're not getting confused with Lowlands Seeds/Positronics? They sold a pure Haze seedline. Sam Skunkman suld a pure Haze too but only sold his seeds within Holland for a very brief period in late 85/early 86.
Mine were sent to US from Holland, they came out of the Holland Seedbank Catalog. Anyone with the wherewithal to order the catalog from High Times and then the trust to send the cash, could have gotten a hold of them. I didn't even know about those other labels. I only knew about SSSC and Holland Seedbank, because they both advertised in High Times, and I had their catalogs. I only ever ordered once, and that was from holland seedbank.
I recieved 2 strains in the mail, Northern Lights #1 and Haze. SSSC never had Haze.
When I ordered it it was before Hightimes ever even discussed it, because Holland Seedbank was just introducing it. It didn't start showing up until a year or 2 later, but it had too long of a budding cycle so people were forcusing on the hybrids.
I ordered it because in the catalog, Nevil said it was far and away his best, his favorite, and even issued a warning with it. "For experienced smokers only." It was also the most expensive, more expensive, than NL#1 which was hailed as the top commercial producer with a budding cycle of just 45 days. It was like $140 OR $120, and the only strain in the catalog for more than $100. Ask Nevil I am sure he will remember.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:06 PM
british_hempire

This is Nevil's first colour catalogue from 1985, no Haze in it.

Here's the description of NL#1 from the 88 catalogue:

Here's the description of Haze x NL#1 from the 88 catalogue, as far as I know this was the first time Nev offered any Haze genes:

The NL5 x Haze and G13 x Haze first appeared in the 89 catalogue I think, NL5 x Haze was on the cover of the 90 catalogue:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg seedbank1cover.jpg (90.0 KB, 381 views)
File Type: jpg seedbank2.jpg (93.0 KB, 4634 views)
File Type: jpg seedbank3.jpg (149.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg seedbank5.jpg (116.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg seedbanklast.jpg (122.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 7507SB88-4-copy.jpg (49.7 KB, 28649 views)
File Type: jpg 7507SB88-5-copy.jpg (76.0 KB, 8027 views)
File Type: jpg TSB1990cover1.jpg (30.6 KB, 8027 views)
File Type: jpg TSB1990page41.jpg (38.0 KB, 37 views)
Old 11-03-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by british_hempire View Post
This is Nevil's first colour catalogue from 1985, no Haze in it.

Here's the description of NL#1 from the 88 catalogue:

Here's the description of Haze x NL#1 from the 88 catalogue, as far as I know this was the first time Nev offered any Haze genes:

The NL5 x Haze and G13 x Haze first appeared in the 89 catalogue I think, NL5 x Haze was on the cover of the 90 catalogue:

Thanks for the info, great pics, a real blast from the past. I am like almost sure that it was the 1987 catalogue but it might have been in 86 or 88. I think it was 1987. It was so long ago. I remember it was the Holland Haze, and it had a warning I remember that. It must have been 1987. I only ever ordered one catalog, after that there was never a need. It was more than $100 for 10 seeds I think $120 or $140, and the only strain in the book that cost over $100

Can you get ahold of the 1987 catalog?