Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 5. Strain Base > Neville's Haze

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 12:14 AM

G`day NVL
Heres a question I have been pondering for a while .Over the years I have had conversations with lots of people who have either visited or lived in India and when the conversations turned toward the discussion of Cannabis a majority spoke of Kerala as "the" best smoke that they either had the pleasure of partaking or had heard of the legend but were unable to obtain it .Looking at those old catalouges started me wondering .Did you ever do any work with the southern Indian genetics ? I know you had an interest in hash production and the Nthn varieties ,but was the Haze a better representation of the Sativa pheno than the equatorial landraces ?ie was a lot of the selecting done already and you decided that this was a better starting stock than starting from landrace stock ? I realise Shanti has incorporated Sthn Ind genetics in his breeding tho unfortunately he is not on tap like yourself .So can you enlighten an ignorant old fool such as myself .
Thanks for sharin .
Elmer Bud.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:30 AM
Breeder

Quote:
maybe it was NL5XHaze
I'm pretty sure it was. NL5Hz was everything you describe and more. Plants 1 and 122 were my favourites. The 5Hz122 really smelled like mango and 5Hz1 would make a believer out of anyone. If you had 5Hz and lost it, well you and thousands of others, but you know what they say;
From Alfred Lord Tennyson's poem In Memoriam:27, 1850:

I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

I still dream about growing those two outdoors in a perfect climate. I may yet happen, they are still alive!
N.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:48 AM

Looks like the only 3 month haze variety from those 80s Dutch catalogues is the Original Haze from the 1985 handwritten green Cultivator's Choice catalogue.

If you've been smoking haze since the 80s - your memory is likely to be less than eidetic.

BTW Nev, those catalogues were uploaded to 420 Magazine by Smokin Moose. "The infamous Neville." lol!

@Elmer - for what its worth - Sam Skunkman has stated that the Keralan that was introduced into the Haze line was very strong, but not the crystal clear high that certain connoisseurs prefer.

Last edited by bushweed; 11-04-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:22 AM
hempy

ha bushy the thing is most haze hybrids of say 50/50 haze will take over 3 months to flower i have had plenty of 50/50 go 16 to 18 weeks in flower making them 4 to almost 5 months in flower.

Then when we start talking Neville's haze SOME can even take 11 weeks to even show sex saw one not show sex by week 11 and culled it and ran a clone of it which flowed in week 7 i think was a while ago.

I rember the tripping weed in 79 that i believe to be pure haze and it looked like leaf from what i know and seen leeds me to suspect pure haze would look like complete shit basically leafy looking oily matter in a bag that would not raise the interest of those that did not know its smoking quality but most could not grow them any way as it is most cant even run a 50/50 haze out doors.

Last edited by hempy; 11-04-2010 at 01:31 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:23 AM

Well it looks like the mystery has been solved, although it is hard to wrap my mind around it, We have just been calling it haze for so long...
But that picture on the cover of the 1990 catalog actually looks so familiar.

I gave the description to Nevil, and he thinks it must be NL#5 X haze. It makes sense, it is the only plant he issued a warning for.
I guess I must have gotten the years mixed up somehow.

Thanks a lot for setting me straight guys, I really appreciate all the help
Old 11-04-2010, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushweed View Post
If you've been smoking haze since the 80s - your memory is likely to be less than eidetic.
LOL
Have we met? It seems like you already know me. But honestly... I can't remember your name.

Last edited by joshuahazen; 11-04-2010 at 04:25 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:49 AM
Breeder

Quote:
that picture on the cover of the 1990 catalog
Is NL5HzA. The mother of Nevil's Haze.
Quote:
We have just been calling it haze for so long..
We all have. No matter what you crossed the Haze to, it was Haze.
Quote:
the only plant he issued a warning for.
It really was necessary. A lot of people thought the weed was laced with acid, if they'd never had it before.
N.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:35 AM
Donald Mallard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevil View Post
I'm pretty sure it was. NL5Hz was everything you describe and more. Plants 1 and 122 were my favourites. The 5Hz122 really smelled like mango and 5Hz1 would make a believer out of anyone. If you had 5Hz and lost it, well you and thousands of others, but you know what they say;
From Alfred Lord Tennyson's poem In Memoriam:27, 1850:

I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

I still dream about growing those two outdoors in a perfect climate. I may yet happen, they are still alive!
N.
It could happen for sure , the kind of sativas we speak of thankfully dont take 4 months to flower outdoors in the right climate/environment ,,, thank goodness for that i say ,, lol ..
i recently visited an old tobacco research station , eyes lit up to the possibilities in such country , quite arid , but great soil , just needs water ..on reading crops trialled in the area , i found hemp was one ,, hehe , bet it went very well ..

the guy i visited the place with told me of a fella that drove down a road similar to the one we had , a little too far apparently ,,, and was met by a guy and a big shotgun , saying "I think youve come down the wrong road" , from what i hear the strayer agreed and left promptly .. lol ...
Old 11-04-2010, 08:24 AM
Breeder

Quote:
crops trialled in the area , i found hemp was one ,, hehe , bet it went very well ..
Thank God you were prepared. I always have one of these in the car for emergencies;
Striker Fire Flint.

I've been to Queensland, that's hillbilly country (Steve Irwin), if they tell you to go away, it was your lucky day. NL5Hz may handle the humidity. We might just have to find out.
N.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevil View Post
Is NL5HzA. The mother of Nevil's Haze. We all have. No matter what you crossed the Haze to, it was Haze. It really was necessary. A lot of people thought the weed was laced with acid, if they'd never had it before.
N.
That is true. I had someone accuse me of lacing it with angel dust.