Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 5. Strain Base > Neville's Haze

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2009, 02:55 PM

Default Nevils haze from seed

hey guys, thought you might like to see my attempt at the haze, I'm just about to move up to 1 gallons in the next few days, and I plan on making these into some large ass plants. I know most people wouldnt do such a thing with this one, but hey, I like a bit of fun. Not the best shots, but they give the idea. And the one thats bent is a pineapple kush, a seed that was brought back from Jamaica for me to have go at.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg n1.jpg (263.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg n1.1.jpg (260.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg n2.jpg (275.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg n2.1.jpg (296.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg n3.jpg (287.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg n3.1.jpg (285.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg n4.jpg (269.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg n4.1.jpg (266.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg n5.jpg (244.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg n5.1.jpg (274.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg n6.jpg (259.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg n6.1.jpg (258.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg n7.jpg (260.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg n7.1.jpg (272.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg n8.jpg (272.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 03-22-2009, 02:56 PM

was denied 1 pic, lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg n8.1.jpg (281.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 03-22-2009, 03:48 PM

hey BigBuddy

looking good there mate
All seem healthy n happy in your garden . the nevs is a special variety and may need some extra care n time than most hybrids but the end results are all worth it

How many nh seedplants are there in total? As far as size goes well you can keep em nice sized yet short n bushy, which is what I d recommend if you plan to go big. you don't want to end up with plants taller than 4-5 ft in order to make the best out of the light , training and prunning can help get the plant grow horizontally and control height.

good luck with them and keep us updated
btw any details on the setup , growing medium/ferts would be appreciated

L33t
Old 03-22-2009, 04:04 PM
hempy

hi my advice is put them in larger pots buckets or wat your going to grow them in sats like nh do better i belive if you start them in the pot or bucket you want to finish them in i would say go for at lest 2 gal min.

The transplant no matter how good you do it always has a little stress going on and normaly takes them a week or more to fully get over it.

I would place all the nh on the outer of the grow and dont veg to them to much i would let them get over there transplant then go into flower thats when you will see massive growth and stretching happen and if you have very leening haze phinos of the nh some can take over 7 weeks to sex as they get larger take a clone of each before they sex.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:23 PM

hi hempy

hope all is well mate

I remember Shanti had mentioned that too (to start em straight into finals) but I 'm not sure its the best thing to do always. In my opinion it depends a lot on your medium and growing style.
I know its better for the taproot if its not being restricted , as there is plenty of space/depth in the final pots , plus in bigger starting pots plants like sats can explode but in practice i found its prefer to transplant once or twice. If you work with a more hydro-like medium perhaps it will work well but for soil it hasn't for me.
I tried to grow plants from start in the final pots and I found it hard to control well the watering cycles esp the first weeks where there are only few roots in the medium. I also found soil can get packed down more easily and roots stay in saturated medium for too long before the medium dries up. I found that with transplants I get better yields and the roots are more evenly distributed inside the medium . With smaller pots early on I control better the watering cycles and I can respond to plants needs faster if needed as I can water with a solution within couple days from the time I detect any feeding issue instead of having to wait more time till medium goes dry as with bigger pots. Anyway like I said earlier I m sure it depends a lot on the medium and growing style.

As for transplant shock ,
well honestly I 've been reading about transplanted plants needing recovery time etc but I haven't seen any of my plants get stunned growth after transplanting. I like to do the process very gently and I like to spray some water with light grow fert+seaweed dose on the bare roots while transplanting . After I move the plants from their 1Liter pots to their finals (10liters) they all show roots down at the pots' drainage holes within 3 days or so and growth is not being slowed down at least in any noticeable level. I know some plants may be more picky and can get stressed easier than others but I 've yet to see any stunned growth from transplanting alone.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:03 AM
hempy

Quote:
Originally Posted by L33t View Post
hi hempy

hope all is well mate

I remember Shanti had mentioned that too (to start em straight into finals) but I 'm not sure its the best thing to do always. In my opinion it depends a lot on your medium and growing style.
I know its better for the taproot if its not being restricted , as there is plenty of space/depth in the final pots , plus in bigger starting pots plants like sats can explode but in practice i found its prefer to transplant once or twice. If you work with a more hydro-like medium perhaps it will work well but for soil it hasn't for me.
I tried to grow plants from start in the final pots and I found it hard to control well the watering cycles esp the first weeks where there are only few roots in the medium. I also found soil can get packed down more easily and roots stay in saturated medium for too long before the medium dries up. I found that with transplants I get better yields and the roots are more evenly distributed inside the medium . With smaller pots early on I control better the watering cycles and I can respond to plants needs faster if needed as I can water with a solution within couple days from the time I detect any feeding issue instead of having to wait more time till medium goes dry as with bigger pots. Anyway like I said earlier I m sure it depends a lot on the medium and growing style.

As for transplant shock ,
well honestly I 've been reading about transplanted plants needing recovery time etc but I haven't seen any of my plants get stunned growth after transplanting. I like to do the process very gently and I like to spray some water with light grow fert+seaweed dose on the bare roots while transplanting . After I move the plants from their 1Liter pots to their finals (10liters) they all show roots down at the pots' drainage holes within 3 days or so and growth is not being slowed down at least in any noticeable level. I know some plants may be more picky and can get stressed easier than others but I 've yet to see any stunned growth from transplanting alone.
hi l33 yea im well thanks hope you are to.

Well every one has there opinon on things and ways to do things i just go by what my eyes and hands on see thats for sats to be grown and the less you play with them transplanting so on the better.

I have grown a pure sat in a 1 gal bucket that took over 9 months to grow and yielded 14 oz cured or over the point here is to let the plant send down its tap root then it will start to grow out the root ball.

I grew in soil to and agine i found it better to start them in the pot or container they were going to be harvested in transplanting is shokeing the plant mate no matter how you try to make it.

If the soil dont drain well yes but even coco stays very moist yet allows good air all soil mixs used should have a good draing going on mate and if the plants are that young theres no need to have the hps close to them so they dont dry out over night all you need to do is keep lite up and them happy till you see some growth happening then give it to them yes.

And a good soil mix should have all the plant needs in its erly stages.

After I move the plants from their 1Liter pots to their finals (10liters) they all show roots down at the pots' drainage holes within 3 days

Mate i never saw roots grow that fast not even in an NFT set up fact is l33 transplanting shoks plants no matter how nice you are to them mate.

When i move mum plants i replace to flower no matter how nice i am to them it takes them over a week to bounce back to normal now fact is mate when you remove the plant from one pot or container to the larger one even if it slides out of the first with little effert as you place it into the larger one and then fill the rest of the pot or container up with the soil mix the root will be affected and plant will stress no way around it.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:48 PM

Hi L33t, Hempy, Big Buddy,

Hope all of you are well

Well, i must say this thread started really nicely. We have two of the nicest growers online debating the fine art of gardening… isn’t that a bliss?

For what is worth, I always started my Neville’s Hazes in one gallon pots, transplanted to 2.5 gallons in the beginning of flower, with a new transplant to 6 gallon pots when the first flowers showed their colours.
The plants became monsters, but with correct pruning and bondage were reasonably simple to manage.

As to what concerns transplant shock, I believe they always complained a little bit, sometimes more noticeable than others. Simpler and more correct transplants, meaning less shock.
The use of foliar Kelp + Superthrive + Molasses after transplant always seamed to help putting them back on tracks again.

I believe, as it can be deduced by both testimonials, that there is more than one way to do things right.

Buddhadreams

Last edited by Buddhadreams; 03-23-2009 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-15-2009, 08:19 PM

Hi everyone, was just about ot go do a little work on these little angels, so figured I'd stop in for an update here first. All things are looking great, nice and green the whole way, and just now really getting into some serious side branching. These show sex quite fast too I've noticed, i think I've identified about 7 ladies already.
As for the transplanting and finishing pots, I'm personally a transplanter, and I have to agree with l33 on the roots expanding, after 3-5 days at the most I see roots in the bottom holes always(well, unless its a really slow strain)in fact I think its been about 6 days since I upsized them and I can see roots all over the place down there. Now as soon as they hit the final pots which will be quite large, they wil be put into flower, well, a couple days or so to make sure all is well with them. If this doesnt work quite so well I can always try it straight in the other pot next round, no harm no foul, I keep all cuts til tested so no wastage here either way.
And simply to ease everyones mind, I'm very used to and comfortable with heavy sats, they are my first love, thats one of the main reason I love to run MNS gear so much, only place to get those true old school genes that arent fucked with with back crossing a million times and fem seed bullshit, i want real herb, not lazy man bitch seeds! But ya, so the big tall ones are what I like, the room consists of 4 1000w hps a 600 and a 400, so they've got lots of light and loads of headroom. Actually if i wanted i could add some side lighting too and let them get excessively tall and still get that good side bud. But i am going to keep them in control. And to save arguement on the height issue, I'm 6'9", very tall plants are actually easier for me to grow many times, or at least check on all the time. I'm a legal med patient for chronic pain caused by a fairly rare genetic condition called marfan syndrome, and the back is the worst thing, so to look a bud right in the face if you will is a real joy for me.
I'll get a few shots for you guys tonight if I can, gonna do the same for the mango widow I'm running, that is amazing fuckin herb!
Old 04-15-2009, 08:21 PM

Oh, and sorry there Big, theres a full pack down, 15 seeds, and more mns sats going down soon. ALready have ssh, mango wid, afghan haze x afghan skunk moms, and need many more of course.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:38 PM

Default Hi hempy,

good to hear you're doing fine mate
like you said , everyone has his opinions based on his own experiences and lets not forget that something that may work for someone may not work for someone else plus there are many ways to grow a sat successfully indoors and all methods can yield great results. Exchanging thoughts n sharing experiences is one of the greatest things the net has given us canna growers. I agree with you that a good soil mix is very important , I noticed that using liquid ferts is not as good with plants like Nevs, dry organic ferts seem to work better , generally I think slow release food is more suitable for sats. One thing I completely agree on is that plants like pure sats and plants like Nh can be stressed quite easily , much easier than other plants , for instance they seem to not even like being moved around in the garden when repositioning / rotating plants and they certainly hate great changes happening over a short period of time , be it regarding feeding or environment ie RH , temps.

I may not have as extensive experience as some others have when it comes to pure sats but I 've grown few lines and as far as indoor grows are concerned I 've learned a few things about them regarding pot size - root restriction etc and how all that affects growth and maturation time . Small pots seem to force plants to finish earlier from what I saw , they also force sats to show sex faster and you can also control stretch more effectively as well. I have done some side by side tests with pure sats and I found with root restriction I can decrease flowering time by at least 2-3 weeks with some strains.Without root restriction the sats seem to tend to take longer to show sex/mature and the internodal spacing / stretch is greater as well .Many experienced sativa growers have mentioned those things too and use small pots for sativas to control em better indoors till the heavy stretch period is over , then transplant into the finals. I 've also noticed that with low light levels , nodes are further apart as well. You can clearly see an example if you see how my Nh female clone grows in different growrooms with different lighting wattage, one mate (same guy who took n kept the mom) grew his cuts like me in soil but with less light than I did , got very long internodal spacing . More than double actually compared to the ones I ran that grew under more intense light and grew much more tight nodes. I also found like other growers that low light levels can increase flowering time.I ve noticed the more you veg the longer the internodal spacing as well (up to a point of course) . If you grow a plant naturally (untopped) , straight under 12/12 and if you veg 4-6 weeks the differences are very noticeable , the vegged plant will have much longer internodes while the flowered from seed plant will have grown shorter internodes.

Regarding transplanting as I said for me , repotting gives better results and I have more control over things as well. I 've never done side by side comparisons tho on this and I guess things are also a bit strain dependent so I 'd love to experiment more sometime and run some more accurate tests. Something else I would like to mention is I believe sometimes shocks not only don't affect plants in a negative way but can help plants, they can work as an awakening call and promote faster growth if plant was not growing with max rates. Like nature 'uses' struggling to strengthen plants. Its numerous times that I have seen plants that were accidentally hurt/damaged catch up and even grow bigger n faster than the rest in the garden. Coincidence or not thats what I noticed in several occasions.
One thing I like to do is when I transplant , apart from spraying the bare roots with water mixed with some fert n seaweed and maybe some root stimulator , I try to avoid watering the new medium/soil in the big pot. The new soil is already quite moist right from the bag , its not too saturated , actually its ready for roots to grow in and when I repot the soil in the old smaller pot is kinda semi-dry neither too wet or too dry. I found that doing this(no watering at transplant time for couple of days) helps with faster plant n specifically root growth during those first few days. When I water the new medium it always takes more days to see fast growth , at least thats what I saw many times I tried it. Perhaps its cause in soil roots grow faster when the soil is semi wet/dry and not saturated like after having watered.
By the way I 'm not saying that transplanting is not going to affect the plant in any way , but in my experience growth-slowdown is not even noticeable if its all done well . I have yet to see any of my plants take more than 5 days max to see roots reach the drainage holes of the new 10liter pots , like I said earlier usually it takes 3 days or so for the first ones to become visible down there.
BigBuddy seems to also experience that fast growth so its nothing unusual and I see why you haven't seen such fast root growth esp in hydro or other soilless systems. Perhaps it has to do with the way roots grow inside the pot in different systems/mediums and/or with transplant timing. Or maybe its due to the fact you are using only ~40watts/sqft and the growth rates are slower than if you had more watts. I use around 70-100w/sqft and almost always had such fast growth..

Hi BigBuddy,

Seems you have your hands full of nice lines mate and you're doing some fine job with your green friends , your 4k+ setup doesn't sound bad either. I'd love to run so many watts with sats but for the time being I 'll have to stick with my 2 600s. As for tall plants well you could always use some upside pots underneath your plant's pot to bring shorter plants to the desired height. Having said I have to say the 1k lights are performing great even with 5-6ft tall plants as they have good penetration.
Keep up the good work and looking forward to the next updates.

Last edited by L33t; 04-16-2009 at 05:21 AM.