Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 5. Strain Base > Neville's Haze

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2018, 11:34 PM

Default Mark grows some MNS Nev's crosses

Hello MNS Brethren! I'm going to flower 6 Grail Widow and 3 Neville's Haze Mango plants in this grow log. I'm posting this thread in the Neville's Haze forum even though I'm not growing NH, but crosses of NH. My reasoning is that, as much as I want to (and eventually will) grow NH, Shanti has already selected some fine NH moms that he used in crosses such as Neville's Haze Mango, Neville's Skunk, and Grail Widow. From what I've read, maybe 5% of NH plants are keepers, and because I can run only about 10 plants at a time, I think I'll have a better chance of finding something special in the NH crosses. Also, there's no forum for Grail Widow and the GW grow threads are spread out all over the place, so this one goes here.

I've been particularly intrigued by some of the Grail Widow grow reports, so I picked up a straw of GW direct from MNS. The straw contained 16 seeds, so I popped 8 of them on 16 November 2017, but only 6 germed for a 75% germination rate. Because I had room for more than 6 plants, I popped three Neville's Haze Mango seeds, and they all came up. The 9 plants have been vegging under LED shop lights for about 6-7 weeks now. I topped them at about 6 weeks and was unsuccessful in getting the cuts to root. I still suck at getting clones to root. I gave up on my bubble cloner and began using a propagation dome, thermostat-controlled heat mat and rapid rooters, but I screwed up and let standing water saturate the Rapid Rooters, so the stems rotted before they rooted. Because my Angel's Breathe grow is nearly complete and the flower tent will be available shortly, I decided that rather than waiting to flower clones, I'm going to mainline the seed plants, taking as many cuts as I can, transplant and veg them for about a week and then flower them. I expect these NH crosses to stretch a lot but I think I can keep things under control if I mainline for 4 colas per plant.

This will be my fourth grow, and my second MNS grow. I'm flowering with a 12-12 cycle in a 4' x 4' tent under 600W of COBs, and flashing a 12W 730 Ám far red for 5 minutes before and 15 minutes after lights out. Plants will be in 4-gal hempy buckets in coco coir.

So I have some work to do in the garden this weekend and will snap a few pics of the grow as I get the plants ready to flower. Stay tuned.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:34 PM

Hi Marcus.
Great to see you growing these plants. Hope it goes well for you!
Hope I'm not being condescending, but I'm wondering if some of your cloning troubles may be due to using the main stem, as these can be tricky to root, with their thin walls and soft tissues, and can be very prone to rot.
A lower stem, cut close to the main stem (not always easy with long stems), would be a bit more tough and woody, and may root more easily.
And yes, they will stretch a lot. A pain in the arse until you can select/tie down, or flower small clones, so yes, good luck!
Old 01-07-2018, 08:20 PM

I also like to cut longer than I'm going to initially use, and then do my final cut, with the stem underwater, so no air bubbles get in. Watch out for giving to much light, as that can make them want to grow, vs developing roots, and they will dehydrate trying to grow, with no roots.

Also don't let the mat/roots ect get to warm, as it can cause fungus/infection. I like the root zone to be 74-77 degrees. 75 being what I strive for.

I also like rooting gel, but can also do just as well without it.

I also would use the woodiest parts that I can. I'll often just cut off whole branches, and cut them ( clones ) at each node.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:16 PM

Loved the angels breathe thread. Remember though, wait a bit before you trash a plant. They change throughout flower, and it is the final product that really matters. That’s the only change I’d like to see in this new grow. Anyway, best of luck to you with this grow mark. Hope you find your holy grail plant.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:13 PM

Thanks for the feedback, advice and encouragement, folks. I think I've solved my cloning woes as I've gotten 3 clones to root now that I desaturated the Rapid Rooters, and I cut a bunch more the other day when I mainlined the seed plants.

Here's GW1, GW2 and GW3 (l-r). GW1 gave me a nice surprise when a stem bub returned not only nice smells, but sticky fingertips. A look through the loupe shows good proto-trichome coverage, always a good sign in veg. I'm keeping my eye on this one.

Left to right, GW6, GW7 and GW8.

These are the Nev's Haze Mango plants, NHM1, NHM2 and NHM3 (l-r). In the local dialect, NHM1 is a "monstah!"

Here's a summary. Heights taken after I topped the plants the second time for 4 colas.

Last edited by Marcus_in_the_Darkus; 01-08-2018 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:34 AM

Great growlogging MarcusintheDarkus. I wish I could keep track like that but I think I'm running too many :-p

Jam on
Old 01-12-2018, 08:33 PM

I let the trained and manifolded seed plants veg in my veg cabinet for a couple days while I cleaned out the grow pots, replaced the coco media, etc. Then I transplanted the seed plants and two rooted clones to 4-gallon hempy buckets, using mycorrhizae to give the roots a little boost. Because I have seen early trichomes on GW1, and because I got a rooted clone of that plant, I decided to add a clone of GW1 to the grow. Also a clone of GW7. Other cuttings are still rooting.

I may have seriously stressed out NHM1, the monstah, by taking too much growth off when I topped the plant for 4 colas. I probably took too much off all the plants, as some of them are now looking really scrawny when they were nice and bushy before. I moved the plants into the flower tent where I will veg them for a week to 10 days under 600W of COBs before flipping to 12/12. Hopefully they'll look a bit greener and bushier when I post my next pic at the flip.

Back row (l-r): NHM1, NHM2, NHM3, GW3
Middle row (l-r): GW1 clone, GW1, GW2, GW6
Front row (l-r): GW7 clone, GW7, GW8

I'm a little worried about how big GW1 and NHM are, and how far they'll stretch. If I get a lot of females it's going to be crazy in the tent.