Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 5. Strain Base > Neville's Haze

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2018, 04:43 PM

ahh thats a bummer

Just to be sure.. Did you check the spot from the nanner plant for any light leaks? an Led from a tower fan for example can cause this as well.

Hope the others wont herm on you.

greetzz
Old 02-26-2018, 05:15 PM

That's an interesting thought, Byorn. The part of the tent that plant was occupying is where the air inlet is, down low. The inlet is covered with a brown nylon stocking used as an air filter, and points down towards a gray painted floor, and it's usually dark in the basement room where I keep my tent, but that part of the tent would be most susceptible to light leaks through the inlet. I usually keep a trash bin in front of the inlet to keep the floor in shadow, but forgot to do that for a couple days last week, so possibly that's the cause. All that said, very little light could make it through the inlet and into the tent under the worst conditions. I think I'll get an elbow for that inlet, spray the interior with flat black paint, and change the nylon stocking to a black one.

Is the sudden appearance of bananas all over the plant an indication of a light leak?

I appreciate your thoughts on the matter.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:28 PM

Glad you noticed and managed to get that under control. Keep them going

We are planning to veg the Nev Mango a little longer than 2 weeks. How tall are your NM seedplants on average now and how far are they into flower?
Old 02-27-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus_in_the_Darkus View Post
Is the sudden appearance of bananas all over the plant an indication of a light leak?
If it was, you wouldn't want anything that sensitive, but imo, light leaks are very low on the list of triggering intersex. Whatever caused it doesn't matter imo, if it can't even handle a simple grower error, write it off.

Are you going to bondage the remaining girls into that empty space? They're pretty lanky, I bet you could fill it up pretty quickly.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:15 PM

i agree with HE pennypacker. Personally i want to be sure that those kind of problems are out of the question. Most likely is that the intersex is not a result of the small light leak, but i think it can be the trigger.
That time that i saw a hermie trough light leak the plants didnt got those nanners all over on every bud site, but just on several spots. With light leaks, most of the time the plants go back in veg modus again.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:30 PM

depends what the grower errror is.. humidity drop is enough to do that to a plant.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:48 PM

I appreciate the feedback my friends.

I bought a 6" adjustable elbow and a pair of black pantyhose for seriously fat chicks (at Walmart, where else? ), sprayed the interior flat black, added it to my existing light trap, stretched the black stocking over the outside end, pointed it toward the back wall and taped it all up. Light leak eliminated. I think at least one of the plants in a prior grow that was seeded down low was next to that air inlet, so I'm glad I finally did this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefoetus View Post
We are planning to veg the Nev Mango a little longer than 2 weeks. How tall are your NM seedplants on average now and how far are they into flower?
The two NHM females are the smallest plants in the tent at about 2.5 ft and 3 ft tall at about 5.5 weeks into flower. They stopped stretching in the fifth week of flower. These seed plants, like all the GW plants, were manifolded for 4 colas and tied down in veg and early flower. It's interesting that the NHMs are noticeably smaller than the GWs and I consider it a line of evidence that tends toward an interpretation that NHM and GW may have different mums. We'll evaluate further lines of evidence as the grow progresses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
Whatever caused it doesn't matter imo, if it can't even handle a simple grower error, write it off.

Are you going to bondage the remaining girls into that empty space? They're pretty lanky, I bet you could fill it up pretty quickly.
I agree, I have no problem throwing out plants that exhibit big-time intersex traits. I actually untied the plants about half way through the stretch and they have filled up the volume of the tent nicely now that the stretch is mostly over, so I don't plan any further bondage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byorn View Post
With light leaks, most of the time the plants go back in veg modus again.
That is exactly what's happening with my male plants...they've stopped making pollen because the days are getting longer and they're trying to re-veg. They're too big to fit into my 2-ft-high flowering chamber. It may be too late in the grow but I'm going to take a couple good-size cuttings from the males and try to root and grow them using an 11/13 light schedule in my flowering chamber. I also have a few rooted clones of GW 1 that I can toss in the flowering chamber, which I'm currently using as an incubator. Maybe they'll make me some pollen in time to use it, but the females are already 5.5 weeks into flower, so the window will close in about 2-3 weeks, I would think.
Otherwise I'll use what pollen I have now to pollinate two or three small buds of the remaining GW girls to try to get at least a few F2 seeds out of this grow.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:45 AM

Default ~ 6 weeks

Here's an update at F40, almost 6 weeks into 12/12. This is my 1-year anniversary of growing cannabis and these are probably the most beautiful and interesting plants I've grown to date. Lots of resin production, aromas coming on, getting a good idea of flower structure, and the buds are beginning to swell. I had been comparing my plants to GW pics in other grow threads and felt like mine had wider leaves and may be more indica leaning, but now that the buds are developing they are definitely strong sativa leaners. Really lovely plants, especially the Grail Widow.

The stretch is over...

Here's an executive summary...

I used what little pollen I was able to collect from the GW1 and GW6 males to pollinate selected buds on all the female plants. I have three clones of GW1 in the flowering chamber for randy males with the intention of making pollen that I will freeze. I expect these to be kick-ass F2s. I culled NHM1 due to intersex traits.

Here's GW2 at F40. This plant was in the back of the tent and only really caught my eye a couple days ago. My initial thought was "Looks like a light yielder" and maybe it will be, but it has a lovely sparse sativa structure. I think this will be the longest flowering plant this grow, probably around 14 weeks, which gives it plenty of time to swell and add bulk. Not-too-sweet floral smell with camphor and incense. The tops of tow colas were just a couple inches from the COBs and although I didn't see any light burn evidence I tied them back a bit. I really like this plant.

Here's one of the four GW2 colas at F40, foxtailing like crazy...

One of the fan leaves on GW2 has that funny mutation that lets a little bud grow from the center of the leaf...

Here's GW3 at F40. Again, not a huge yielder, and four columnar colas, but definitely hazey. Sweet floral smell, lime, haze.

GW3 flower at F40...

Here's GW7, which looks to be the big yielder of this grow. Floral-lime smell that fades to incense.

And one of the colas from GW7 at F40...

Here's the clone of GW7 at F40, now drinking over 2l of nutes per day.

And the cola from GW7c...

GW8 is no longer so next up are the Neville's Haze Mango plants. These plants aren't blowing me away like the Grail Widow plants are. Smaller plants, smaller buds and low calyx/leaf ratio. Here's NHM2 at F40. Runt of the litter. Haze, lime, wood smells.

Here's the NHM3 flower. Tiny buds, amidst a lot of leaves. This plant isn't really impressing me, although it has decent frost.

Finally, here's NHM3 at F40. Looks to be making 4 good-sized colas, so bigger buds than NHM2 but still a lot of leaf and less frost. This is the only plant that's showing issues, brown/yellow spots, which I attribute to used coco in this pot.

Lastly, here's one of the colas on NHM3 at F40.

Last edited by Marcus_in_the_Darkus; 03-02-2018 at 04:53 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:26 AM

Default F51 update

I was out of town for a week last week and on return the plants are doing well and bulking up the flowers. Had a power outage from a Noreaster a few days ago which mildly perturbed the light cycle, enough to have GW3 throw a few nanners anyway. I plucked them and am hoping for the best. Here's a few quick bud shots to update the grow thread.

GW2 is my favorite plant. Love the bud structure and the slow swell going on. I'm thinking 14+ weeks.

GW3 is also stacking calyxes like cordwood and foxtailing up a storm.

GW7 is the big yielder and has an incensey aroma.

The NHM plants are smaller, leafier but have a nicer, sweeter smell without the sour that the Grail Widow plants have. Here's NHM2, the frosty runt.

Finally, here's NHM3.

I'm using the H3ad nute recipe, modified for a 90-day flowering period, and today was the last of three shots of KoolBloom powder in the feed. Going forward the plants will get the nitrogen dialed back with a feed of 9 ml/gal of GH Flora Bloom only (plus 2 ml/gal CaMg).

This is a real fun grow; these plants are beautiful and smell lovely. Nice work Shanti!

Last edited by Marcus_in_the_Darkus; 03-13-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:59 PM

Love those little leaf nugs. I always thought gw2 was the best, and I am not surprised. Nice sativa look, foxtailing, leaf nugs you can seed, doesn’t hermies from strange light cycles, good smell description... seems like a pretty obvious keeper to me