Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 5. Strain Base > Neville's Haze

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2018, 07:36 PM

I don’t see why not. But keep it separate from the rest, and take clones of each female to flower with it. If they do hermie, throw out the seeds. There is too great a chance of throwing out your prize male however. The only real way to find a good male is to test the offspring
Old 02-15-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus_in_the_Darkus View Post
@thefoetus, bear in mind while ordering Grail Widow that you probably won't get the usual 20 seeds per straw; I got 16 in mine, along with a 75% germination rate.
Thanks, we may need more seed. I imagine Shanti rarely makes this exotic cross very rarely, so perhaps 75% germination is good for this seed batch. We shall see

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwwwww View Post
Hey you only need two to go on forever
I agree. As WG / GW appears to be an 'F1' cross (rather than an inbred line), I'd expect to find a wide variety of different plant genes within the batch of seed. Hence, the plan for selection

As for the name WG/GW, if indeed the genetics remain identical, perhaps it was renamed so it can appear on menus under the 'W'idow name which most everybody recognizes, rather than 'Grail Widow' which could get lost in translation. Then again, perhaps the auction site just mislabeled it

Peace.
Most of the work I did was with batches of 40-50 seeds at a time... The best plant out of 20 females will be pretty close in quality to the best out of a 1000. Many of my cuttings, still considered elite, came out of similar sized batches.

SB's Breeding Articles

Nev's Mango selection

NL5 x Hz selection

88 G13 x Hash Plant
Old 02-15-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefoetus View Post
As for the name WG/GW, if indeed the genetics remain identical, perhaps it was renamed so it can appear on menus under the 'W'idow name which most everybody recognizes, rather than 'Grail Widow' which could get lost in translation. Then again, perhaps the auction site just mislabeled it
Probably the latter. The straw these seeds came in was labelled "Widow Grail."
Old 02-16-2018, 09:51 PM

Default Male flower resin development

Some more microscope photos of male flowers developing resin, now at F27. GW1 continues to lead the pack in resin development. I think I've found my keeper male from this batch, although I'll collect pollen from all three.

GW1 flower at F27

GW6 flower at F27

NHM1 flower at F27
Old 02-18-2018, 06:02 AM

Default 4 week update

The Grail Widow and Neville's Haze Mango plants have now been flowering for 4 weeks, are just now starting to build resin. Smells are still faint and range from haze-lime to sour haze to onion to incense. The stretch has been pretty crazy, as some plants are still growing over 1 inch/day even after 4 weeks.

Here's an updated plant status.

I am having good success with cloning now that I have ditched the Rapid Rooters in the 72-cell tray for peat pucks in an open tray. The cuts I took in early flower 10 days ago have rooted and I now have clones in my veg cabinet of every plant in this grow, including all males.

Speaking of males, here are some photos of the males a few days ago at F24.

GW1 (clone) male. This is the male I'm going to use to make F2s, and I'll try to keep him long enough to test his progeny.

GW6 male at F24. I may also use this guy to make F2s.

NHM1 male at F24. This guy went intersex due to some light control issues, which have slowed down flower and pollen production on all males. I may get some pollen from him to make F2s of the NHM girls, but I'll probably cull him.

GW2 at F28.

GW3 at F28. Still has an onion smell and adding a little funk.

GW7 at F28. Looks to be a good yielder and has a very nice wood-incense smell.

GW7 clone at F28. Even after training she's getting too close to the light again.

GW8 at F28.

NHM2 at F28. Smallest plant in the tent.

NHM3 at F28.

Last edited by Marcus_in_the_Darkus; 02-20-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:16 PM

Just be crowded in there
Old 02-20-2018, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwwwww View Post
Just be crowded in there
It is!

Old 02-20-2018, 04:47 PM

Wow they made some nice progress! Good looking plants bro. I like your chosen males as well

Hope the grail widow is as forgiving as the mango that i had, really abused her to fit my needs for height, she never complaind and produced some fine smoke.

can`t imagine to have plants sitting in front of the window with free sight on them. Must be a really nice feeling of freedom!

keep em going, interesting to follow

all the best and greetings
Old 02-21-2018, 01:03 AM

Hi Marcus, you have some beautifully healthy looking plants there It's inspiring to see how organized you are with this project. Thank for sharing.

We have limited experience, but have done some research on plant stretching. I have a couple of suggestions. First is to keep the lights as close as possible to the plants, especially in the early stages. Seedlings placed further from the lights seem to stretch like crazy. Perhaps I'm wrong though.

The second suggestion is a patent pending, organic product which is part of the NFTG line, which we happen to use. It's called 'Bloom Khaos'. It can be foliar sprayed from early veg, through to around the 3rd week of flower, and promotes branching rather than upward growth (when used as a foliar spray). It's made from Kelp extract (Ascophyllum nodosum) & gamma (proprietary ingredient). When using it, you need to supply the plant with plenty of organic calcium.

Quote:
When using Bloom Khaos as a foliar feed in Veg, one should notice more flower sites, larger, denser flowers, and superior color, flavor, and aroma. Bloom Khaos improves plant health and vigor while reducing stress at crucial times of the plants’ life cycle, such as: transplanting, flower transition, and prior to taking cuttings. Bloom Khaos works best if used daily as a foliar spray in the early stages of growth and up to a few weeks into flowering. After that, it works well as a water-in additive.

Foliar spray up to twice a day in vegetative cycle and as little as once a week to see the benefits of stronger stems, shorter internodal length, and ultimately more vigorous flower sets.

"Bloom Khaos is a calcium facilitator that, when applied to the foliage, promotes the uptake of calcium to promote cell building and cell division. When Khaos is used during the veg stage, it promotes more branching, less elongation and thicker stem walls. This is beneficial in veg because it promotes tight inter-nodal flower spacing so when you transition into flowering the flower sites start closer together and as the plants stretch towards the HPS color spectrum in bloom, the flowers have a better chance of stacking and growing into one another forming large top flowers." – Scott D Ostrander
Peace.
Most of the work I did was with batches of 40-50 seeds at a time... The best plant out of 20 females will be pretty close in quality to the best out of a 1000. Many of my cuttings, still considered elite, came out of similar sized batches.

SB's Breeding Articles

Nev's Mango selection

NL5 x Hz selection

88 G13 x Hash Plant

Last edited by thefoetus; 03-01-2018 at 03:12 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:18 AM

@Byorn, thanks for your kind words. This is a fun grow so far, and no problems until tonight.

@thefoetus, thanks man. I've had pretty good luck managing the stretch on this grow, by mainlining the seed plants for 4 colas, flowering the clones from about 3.5 inches tall (and still having to bend the meristem over when it got too tall), and a little LST. I think the reason I'm seeing so much stretch is because I'm flowering in fairly large (4 gal) coco hempy pots, so there's lots of room for a big root mass, which translates into more stretch. I think I'm starting to get the hang of growing these haze hybrids, and am no longer intimidated by them.

When I went to feed the plants tonight I noticed some little yellow thingies in the buds. It only took me about 15 seconds to transition from denial ("There's no way those yellow thingies can be nanners!"), to anger ("Damnit, WTF happened?!"), to bargaining ("How about if I get some tweezers and spend the next 45 minutes plucking nanners and then stress out about them reappearing?"), to depression ("This sucks, these buds were starting to look awesome, now I'm only going to have 3 GW phenotypes to sample."), to acceptance ("Fuck it, this bitch is toast and she's outta here). This was actually cathartic because I've had some unwanted seed show up in bud from my first two grows never having seen an actual nanner, so I'm glad I was able to recognize and deal with them before they threw shitloads of pollen.

Fortunately, the nanners were limited to GW8 only so I culled her and her clone. Every single bud had a couple little nanners on it. Temps were a little cool, ranging from 62-75 F, and humidity range was 50-70%. No major issues with nutes (feed pH may have been a little low at about 5.6 before I recalibrated my pH meter) but everything looked OK and...WHAM...herm city. Fortunately the other plants look great. So now I have 6 girls left in the tent, and they have a little more room now.

Here's GW8 at F36 right before the axe fell. She was looking good and starting to make some good resin.

Here's a GW8 flower complete with nanner. I was amazed that every single bud on this entire plant had a couple little nanners in it like this:

The other issue that I'm dealing with right now is scarce pollen production from my male GW plants. I'm going to have very little to play with. I think the reason is because I have the males in a very cold, relatively dark room, there were some earlier light leak issues, and the days, while still less than 12 hours long, are increasing in length, so the plants don't know what to do. I've snipped some branches and am trying to dry them out to increase pollen production. The girls are otherwise ripe and ready for pollen, and I really want to make some F2s.

I'll post updated photos next week when I hit the approximate half-way mark at 6 weeks.

Last edited by Marcus_in_the_Darkus; 02-26-2018 at 05:29 AM.