Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 5. Strain Base > Neville's Haze

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2018, 12:42 PM

Widow grail and grail widow are one and the same. Also a PSA to all: the buy now price of grail widow is 50, and I see it on the auction site now for over 80. Please get a sheet of the buy now prices from Simone so you don’t overspend. If the strain is not on there ask about it specifically.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:48 PM

@thefoetus, thanks, and glad to see you are interested in these two stains as well. You did a great job with your Nl5Hz selection run and I'd love to see what these NH crosses do with a larger population from which to select. I sure as hell hope the Grail Widow lineage is the same as was reported from the testers, but I understand why there is some uncertainty because the strain description title says "Widow x Haze (Holy Grail)," which implies a female widow crossed with a male haze, which is opposite of what the actual description says...

Quote:
This has been a long time coming! Finally the Grail has been made available, but as limited edition only. The Grail combines the strong particular spicy/earthy aromas of Haze with the fruity oniony aromas of the Widow family. This particular Haze female has dominated genetics top shelf strains since modern times and combining it with the original Widow male, makes for a mouthwatering experience and a mind blowing journey into a body high with a mind of clarity.
This plant is not so difficult to get right but it definitely needs love and attention if you wish to get the Holy Grail of Stashesthere will be a need to cure the dried flower for 6 weeks to 3 months prior to smoking it you will understand!
@wwwwww, 80Ä...Yikes! Thanks for the heads up on the cost of this strain. Are you still thinking about NH outdoors this year here in New England?

I took some pics last night which I will post when I get away from this damned iPad.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:21 PM

GW1 seed plant and clone at F13. Definitely the most interesting plant in veg with early trichomes, sticky stem rub and nice sweet&sour fragrance. Turned out to be a male, which is kind of a bummer. Worse, I flowered the only clone I got, several other cuts failed to root, so I'm going to grab some more cuts today at F14 and tray again, this time using peat pucks instead of rapid rooters in my prop dome.

GW2, female, at F13.

GW3, female, at F13. This seedling was the runt of the litter. Faint onion smells. I was unable to get a cutting from this plant to root, so I may try a couple more cuts tonight.

GW6, male, at F13. Limey haze smell. Cuttings rooted easily.

GW7, female, seed plant and clone at F13. Cuttings rooted easily and have grown vigorously.

GW8, sex unknown as of F13.

NHM1, male, at F13. Very vigorous in veg, nearly killed it when I topped it for 4 colas. Way too big to fit in my veg chamber.

NHM2, female, at F13.

NHM3, female, at F13. This plant was also a runt seedling and tiny after topped the second time, so I gave it and GW3 a one-week head start by transplanting them early to 4-gal hempy buckets. She responded beautifully, and is among the more vigorous plants.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:16 PM

I believe GW is shanti’s highly selected nevs haze female (probably haze A dom) x his widow f1 male that is well proven. The reports of this line from the testers has me really excited.

I have decided to not grow Nevs haze OD this year. However, I may be getting some vintage MNS SSH and Mango haze from 2005 to reproduce from another forums member. I think doing those outdoor will be a huge help to the strength of the lines, and I have the perfect spots picked out for the two strains. The idea is to keep them alive at all costs, and make them have seeds that are ready for any climate. Can’t wait to get some great terps too.

Good read stolen from the newest inbreeding thread in breeding section:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...tpj.12492/full

Last edited by wwwwww; 02-03-2018 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwwwww View Post
Also a PSA to all: the buy now price of grail widow is 50, and I see it on the auction site now for over 80. Please get a sheet of the buy now prices from Simone so you donít overspend.
Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus_in_the_Darkus View Post
@thefoetus, thanks, and glad to see you are interested in these two stains as well. You did a great job with your Nl5Hz selection run and I'd love to see what these NH crosses do with a larger population from which to select. I sure as hell hope the Grail Widow lineage is the same as was reported from the testers, but I understand why there is some uncertainty because the strain description title says "Widow x Haze (Holy Grail)," which implies a female widow crossed with a male haze, which is opposite of what the actual description says...
Thanks Marcus! Yes we were keen to select from a good enough sized pool. Nevil wrote that he worked with batches of 40-50 which inspired me - 2 packs of MNS is about 40 seeds. We will also be selecting the Nev Mango out of 40 seeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevil
Most of the work I did was with batches of 40-50 seeds at a time.
The variety I grew the most of was NL5xHzC. No.1 came out in the first batch of about 20 females. Over the years I've grown many 1000s. In most respects, it was still the best. No.122, the one Shanti dubbed the Mango, came after years of searching, a tireless quest on my part. Aspiring growers often came to me and I regularly made them start with 5Hz seed. There are a few cuts around from those exploits, but they weren't as good as 1 and 122. But almost. As I said before, there's not a sea of difference between the best out of 50 and the best out of 1000. But there is a difference for the most discerning.
N.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:58 PM

@thefoetus, bear in mind while ordering Grail Widow that you probably won't get the usual 20 seeds per straw; I got 16 in mine, along with a 75% germination rate.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:04 PM

That nhm1 male looks like a beast ! I hope you kept a cut
Bottlenecking? The classic case is the cheetah. I read a compelling article once that the Cheetah is a cloned cross between a cat and a dog. Cheetahs have been around for 1000s of years, competing against lions and hyenas. It is still the fastest animal on earth.
I suspect that "bottlenecking" cannabis may lead to the "highest" cannabis on earth. It's a risk I'm willing to take.
N.

Last edited by kief420; 02-05-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:13 PM

Hey you only need two to go on forever
Old 02-12-2018, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kief420 View Post
That nhm1 male looks like a beast ! I hope you kept a cut
Hello kief420. Yes, I have a clone of NHM1 in my veg cabinet.

I am now keeping a careful watch on the males, which have been separated from the females, with an eye towards selecting males from which to make F2s. I've liked GW1 from early on due to stickiness of stem rubs in veg and a nice odor. NHM1 is interesting due to its vigor. Not much noteworthy (to me, anyway, from GW6. So I decided to use my cheap USB microscope to take some pics of flowers from the 3 male plants at F22 to compare resin development.

GW1 at F22

GW6 at F22

NHM1 at F22

I would say at this point GW1 leads the pack in resin development, although none of them are what I would consider very resinous at the moment. How much of this is due to longer-vs-shorter flowering time and how much of it is due to better genetics?

Interestingly, the very vigorous NHM1 is running a distant third in the resin production race, from what I can tell.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:28 PM

This is interesting. The male NHM1 just went intersex on me. Same as my last grow, only this guy wasn't stressed as much, IMO. No he's a she. Or something like that. If I was in Canada, I'd be required, under force of law, to use politically correct pronouns here.

So why should I keep an intersex plant again? Doesn't seem too rare of an occurrence to me.