Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 5. Strain Base > Neville's Haze

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2014, 09:43 AM

havent tried their soil but have used many different brands with slow release ferts and havent liked any, over the years though i have like many others used their ferts with less then impressive results, better then using nothing though for sure, a friend has been using their soil for the past couple years, he raved about it and how good his plants do

but he is the worst grower ive ever known, he swears by not using ferts (even when he wasnt using mg or others with slow release ferts) and never checking or adjusting his ph, so i can understand how the soil is helping him, for once his plants finally see some food

he gave me some of the auto seeds he has been using the past year+ and when he seen the ones i grew he tried to claim they could not be plants from the seeds he gave me, that right there tells me the mg soil isnt enough, doesnt tell me its bad, just not enough, or maybe its too much ? i dunno, but my results compared to his have me remaining adamant about avoiding anything mg

like many of us say though, its not about what works for me, its about what works for you and perfecting it

Last edited by yowser; 09-12-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:38 PM

haha...poor friend! Damned with faint praise.. if this technique works with this cut then I'll run it again but side by side with some other brand and we can compare. It's always better to work things out for yourself. Other UK growers can see how well (or otherwise) I do and make their own judgements. If any get better results than me then please say so and with what brand. Perhaps we can work things out together...
I will repeat that I have no idea if MG is the same both sides of the pond, though.. I doubt it is.

The point with this technique is just that it makes growing easy. Add rain water - you're done. It is when feeding this plant (NH) that most of us fuck it up. It is VERY hard to know EXACTLY what a plant wants and if it is a fussy one, like NH, getting it wrong is disastrous..for anyone who is worried about growing this plant, this technique makes it accessible to all. And over fertilised bud tastes horrible, so using this technique should totally eliminate that, too (so long as you get the soil right, which is just a matter of trial and error. Once you know a soil works for you and your particular plant you can just use that brand time and time again and forget everything else.)

I have only just started trialling MG and cannot at this moment say that it is the best but it is working great so far and FAR FAR better than All-Mix, which really upset this plant, and Light-Mix, which just doesn't have ANYTHING in it. You can't grow plants in that!

Last edited by The Grey Man; 09-12-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:50 PM

I am also trialling this technique with a NL hybrid (crossed with a US variety called Karma Bitch), to see how well it works with other style plants (indoors and out.) So far so good.
I don't think that short-flowering plants, like NL, would need any 'enrichment' in the soil but they are heavier feeders, I suppose... time will tell on that one, too.

I am happy to post a couple of photos of those NL/KB's if you are interested.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:59 PM

In your friend's defence, I will say that underfeeding is a far better way than over-feeding. At least he is erring on the correct side. I have lost count of the number of over-fertilised buds I have smoked and over-fertilised plants I have seen.
Almost every grow on this site, in fact, shows some signs of nutrient stress.
How many complain about hermies? Over fertilised.
Dark leaves? 'Bull's Horn' Leaves? same.
Total lack of potency of Haze hybrids? too much food.
Bad burning of dry weed? Bad taste of dry weed? hay? Too much salt in the soil.

I just see it time and time and time again.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:41 PM

Thanks for the detailed and informative response Grey Man, I should have been a little more detailed in my post. Miracle Gro is all over the place over here, itís a US company. I was referring to them with the potting and garden soils I mentioned, just never seen their enriched compost. Hereís some of their enriched perlite I picked up at a garage/moving sale, I donít use it for mj just with my house plants, I couldnít resist for a $1.

I use a local/regional high density potting mix and itís good. Itís not cheap but less than the fancy brands, ie fox farms, etc. I mostly grow in the ground outdoors so my needs arenít that great. I prefer to use mediums that arenít fert enriched as those are usually time release and I prefer to add nutrients as needed.

Good luck with the NH, Iíll be checking out the grow. I wish I could grow her but canít grow indoors and she wonít work outdoors where Iím at.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MG Perlite.jpg (283.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 09-12-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grey Man View Post
In your friend's defence, I will say that underfeeding is a far better way than over-feeding. At least he is erring on the correct side. I have lost count of the number of over-fertilised buds I have smoked and over-fertilised plants I have seen.
Almost every grow on this site, in fact, shows some signs of nutrient stress.
How many complain about hermies? Over fertilised.
Dark leaves? 'Bull's Horn' Leaves? same.
Total lack of potency of Haze hybrids? too much food.
Bad burning of dry weed? Bad taste of dry weed? hay? Too much salt in the soil.

I just see it time and time and time again.
in his case it isnt "underfeeding" other then using this mg soil lately, he has spent years growing inside and out refusing to feed at all , so thats why i say the mg soil is good for him, he still changes the subject when i tell him he is feeding his plants now because it comes added in the soil, he doesnt want to admit it lol
Old 09-14-2014, 01:23 PM

DAY 31
=====

The plant is in the early flowering stage now and there are flower sites all over it.
The plant is still stretching so that at the end of the branches there are several buds close together where a few days ago there was just one.
It is now standing at about 5ft tall but if you include the large pot it is 6ft from the ground. It has stretched a lot more than I thought it would and a lot more than it did the first time I grew it. It is a lot more like the other Neville's Haze plants, in terms of stretch, than I thought it was.
There is not really any sign of the stretching stopping yet.

Although it is only Day 31, there are already resin glands, just discernible but covering the leaves around the flower clusters. This is as I remember it from the first time around - the resin came earlier than all the other plants, was far more copious and covered a lot more of the plant - leaves, stems - everything, really!

Best of all, the smell arrived yesterday, Day 30!! That is fantastic and just like the last time, when the plant smelt much earlier and much more than all the others.
As I described before, it is very hazy, very sweet and with a fruity 'base' to it (like mangoes and maybe some citrus) it is complex and utterly intoxicating. Very similar to the Mango Haze but zingier (?) - like a fruity ZZzzzing. Amazing.

Still no signs of stress and a happy looking plant. Overall, things are going well. The plant is larger than I thought it would be but I was thinking that it would be too small - so I am happy as Larry, really. I should end up with a worthwhile yield, after all. I will remember not to veg it for any more time than I did this time around or I will end up with a monster.
Quality is as I remember it at this stage last time. Extremely high in all 'head stash' aspects!!!!!
Old 09-17-2014, 10:31 AM

Day 33
=====

Photographic updates:

Here is the whole plant. As you can see, she has grown a whole lot since I started flowering her. She has a classic and beautiful cannabis tree shape with wide open branch structure, letting light right down into the centre and bottom of the plant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WholePlant.jpg (848.1 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by The Grey Man; 09-18-2014 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:33 AM

A quick look at flowers growing near the centre and bottom of the plant show how healthy they are, despite their unfortunate location on the plant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BottomBuds.jpg (829.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 09-17-2014, 10:34 AM

The flowers near the top of the plant look really healthy too..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NearTop.jpg (801.4 KB, 8 views)