Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 5. Strain Base > Neville's Haze

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2014, 10:31 PM

Hey Pantagruel,

Yeah, those plants that never seem to finish - it's just not worth it. Culling them as soon as you can makes selecting a decent Nev's Haze less of a slog. It shouldn't take 20 weeks to find out you don't want a plant.

The seedlings are just stabilising now. I know I intended to keep them as seed parents but I might just throw the seedlings into flower now and take cuts from the females (culling as I work out which I don't want to keep..)

Did you find that the 'keeper' pheno was obvious quite early on?

Reading your grow log, we've both had a keeper in 4 plants. That's a great ratio of keepers:non keepers... I wonder if it will stay that high!!!
Old 07-09-2014, 11:19 PM

Default You said it

Grover,

Good to see you around friend. Say I see you mentioned not getting shit for yield off of the NH. Truth be told I would rather have a plant I liked the smoke that yielded shit. Compared to a few lbs of just ok stuff. Were I am at I think the NH would go outdoors quite well. Maybe need a GH for the last month, but still.

I am stoked for you to try these in a few weeks. I imagine you may forget your name after a spliff...lol. Jokin mate...Best to you, and the family...Ns

P.S. BtW awesome looking lil buds. I tried to lick the screen. looked like a popsicle of herb...Ns

"How would you like to feel like a mushroom?"
Kept in the dark, and fed Shit all day?

The past no longer dictates me to the future. Everyday is a new day, and what is made of it is my choice.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:38 PM

NIce stuff!

Re: cutting the hay. From a practical standpoint it pays off to just cut those see through plants that seem like they are never going to finish, or worse ever put on buds. It sure is easier to cull those plants when it's F2s you've made vs. expensive/rare beans.

HOWEVER, I just had the experience of culling a plant that was grown from seed... it was see through at 12 weeks of 11/13 after 2 months of veg the first go round. I did keep a clone and flowered her later, this one seemed to be filling in @10 weeks....Then I was forced to shut down all flowering. So it goes but it did show me that with a bit of work (like a shorter day cycle) some of these seeming "duds" might perform much better given a special treatment. It should be noted that I was dialing back day hours and was down to 9/15 when the plug was pulled.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:57 AM

Yeah, it was my first nevilles haze experience so I didn't want to miss anything. I'm thinking ten packs and now that I know what I'm looking for it should be easy to find an amazing plant that will fuck up people's day. The 12 weeker I found was sick( didn't clone and it wouldn't reveg) resinous as hell and tasted great. I had another one that was 14 or 16 weeks that smelled and looked potentially better but alas, after drying it did not retain its sexiness. Wasn't bad but wasn't near as awesome as the 12 weeker.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:24 AM

Damn - it looks like my fury Nev's is up and finishing. It will be done by the weekend. That's 10 weeks. I was expecting a little more.

Perhaps it is upset with me? I will try again and see if I can squeeze a little more out of her. I only used rain water but I obviously didn't get the soil right...next time I will use a lighter mix. Perhaps this is why she just upped and finished? I doubt that but you never know with these fussy plants...

I used All-Mix and 5 scoops of bat poo. I will try a few combinations... All-Mix and 2 scoops. Light-Mix and 4 scoops...etc...see which finishes best.

The other Nev's is doing real well. It's buds are growing well. It has started to yellow from lack of nuts so now I know that Plant_Magic Mud and 4 scoops of poo last for about 8 weeks with this plant... I will gentle feed her for a few weeks (with flushing in between feeds) until I feel she has 3 weeks to go then just rain water again... I doubt I will grow this one again as I love the other so so much but if I did, I have honed in on her needs a little more now... she smells of leather and cream. Not as good as Electric Terpentine but still nice.

If I could get "no. 1" to keep going for 3 or 4 extra weeks then the yields would be better and make the grow more worth it. I sure the smoke will be fire, though.

The 12 new seedlings have been repotted and are basking under 12/12 of an HPS (I wasn't going to do that this way but there is a gap left by the Early Skunk Hazes that needed filling...) I hope I find another "Terpentine Resin Bomb" to give Mrs "10 week finish" a run for her money...
Old 07-15-2014, 09:32 AM

I know it seems like a LOT of work but having a really nice Nev's Haze is really worth it. To be high as a kite and NOT need to go to bed is a real gift.

Pantagruel - I would love to see your 10 packet Nev's selection...more to the point I wold love to SMOKE your 10 packet selection!!! That is the way to find what you are looking for. My 12 seedlings at a time approach is so slow it is almost painful - but jail time doesn't tempt me so I have to keep the plant count down. Still, it sounds like we are looking for the same plant.
It's a shame that you don't grow organically as some advise we may swap would not really translate, such as feeding regimes and soil mixes, etc.. but I reckon a lot will anyway..(maybe it is as a shame I don't grow hydroponically - which would be fair enough!!!)

Happy Smoking everyone.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:01 AM

Hi GM, I'm tagged for this one.

I wouldn't worry about the few red hairs, I had a thai nevs that did this, completely unseeded, but hairs would turn red early on despite it continuing to grow new calyxes and pack on weight.

How many phenos are you working with?

Peace
Old 07-26-2014, 11:24 PM

G`day Grover

I had the good fortune to sample some buds from Nevil`s selection of Nevil`s hz from the mid 80s,last summer when I was in the EU . Some friends have the old original cuts .

The plant has more vigour than any I`ve seen before . From a just rooted 6 inch cut, to a 5 foot tall beast loaded with buds . in 100 days .

Trouble is its not pleasant to smoke . Half a spliff and anxiety starts rising . Feels like a bad trip .
My buddies don`t like to smoke her .
They tell me it will mess with your head if smoked exclusively over a period of time .

They also hold the old C5 cut as well and they prefer it as their regular toke .

Happy now elmer?
Old 07-30-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Peng View Post
Hi GM, I'm tagged for this one.

I wouldn't worry about the few red hairs, I had a thai nevs that did this, completely unseeded, but hairs would turn red early on despite it continuing to grow new calyxes and pack on weight.

How many phenos are you working with?

Peace
Hi Sean, thanks for stopping over...

You were right about the hairs - no seeds whatsoever...

I have got a very specific phenotype in mind but with Nev's I suppose you have to work with what you find...

I have no interest in anything beyond about 14 weeks for an indoor grow - as soon as I work out that a plant is a 'forever' plant I kill it. I have no time or space for that in my garden and the grow is all about selection at the moment.

The smell must be strong and hazy and the plant must have resin in abundance.
The yield isn't important but practicality is an issue to some extent...

I have found a plant which seems to be acceptable on all levels except yield (although I am yet to smoke a sample, which is the most important of all!!!!)
but you can dial in this plant and do a lot better, plus, I didn't veg it at all on the first grow of her... I have high hopes.

I am blasting the rest of the pack to see if there is anything else interesting in there and I have almost finished another leathery pheno, just for the sake of it but I won't keep that one at all...

I didn't really expect a keeper on the first pack but seem to have struck lucky - time will tell... keep posted!

Hey Mary Mary,

I know what you are saying about the strength - a few years ago I had a proper fight with Nevil after smoking strong haze hash for 2 weeks straight - I have since apologised sincerely... It is not for everyday smoking - I have a family to look after and a "real" farm to run and another business on top of that.. imagine insulting the best breeder in cannabis history - what a cunt I am...

but every so often you come across a haze hybrid which imparts a real euphoria to your day. That is what I am looking for - a proper lift from my smoke, and with the flavour to boot. Just a quick pipe here or there should help the day go along smoothly. For example, yesterday some bastard ran straight over one of my chickens. Cut her clean in half... she was my best layer. That was food for my family. I just hate people sometimes. It is just another brick in the wall.. Life can be a struggle for some of us - this herb helps a little.

The trouble is that if you find that in a Mango Haze or similar, then after 2 joints, euphoria or no euphoria, it is bed-time. I can't be doing with that at all...

You can get that from 1 particular pheno of the Kali Mist but you can't beat a hazy euphoria at all. Hence the search for a Nevil's Haze instead.

I once saw a pure haze plant which looked not too dissimilar to the one pictured in this thread - except that the actual bracts were bright golden and really chubby - like little pieces of the metal, shining - and the buds were just 1 bract wide but fox tailed right up amongst the many bushy leaves. It actually made a lasting impression on me. I didn't smoke that bud as it was growing still but the description of the high was "bells ringing in your mind..."

hehe - let's find some bells...
Old 07-30-2014, 09:55 AM

as far as this grow is concerned....

well, Nev's 5, the first choice is down and drying. I harvested some branches about 2 weeks ago. There is a joint in my mouth right now for the first test...

The other plant from the first batch is about 2 to 3 weeks from finish. She looks very similar to the Early Skunk/Hazes I just finished. the smell is similar too but maybe a bit like leather and cream. It is Ok, I guess...

The second batch are growing for it now. Of the 12, 4 are male and dead. 4 are female and repotted and 4 look like they are about to start flowering but without a single pre-bud to show. I think that 3 are female and 1 is male.

That makes 4 of 6 from batch 1 and 7 of 12 from batch 2. 18 seeds, 11 females. Not bad. Exactly what i got from ESH, too. Long may those ratios continue...

I think that you can find very hazy bud in each pack but to find something that mixes a 12-14 week finish with a worthwhile yield and top quality aroma and resin will take a few packs. I would go for 5 but I think Pantagruel has it right when he suggests blasting 10 packs and looking for the best.

It does help to know what you are looking for in advance as you can avoid giving too much time and resources to plants which you don't actually want.

Anybody with experience of growing Mango Haze can grow this plant and will know which plant to choose... the keepers look and smell very similar.

The plant I like most was also the fussiest of the first 4....

I really hope to find 1 more plant in batch 2 to give me a selection for the second round. I very well may not..

I am about to spark this joint and a quick smoke report will follow.