Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 5. Strain Base > Neville's Haze

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2014, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpeace View Post
I have nhs on 16/8 as im in a hurry.i use to Do anything with haze no more than 10 hrs light mango h for3 years 14/10 last 3 Weeks16/8. Loose 1/3 if yield but i need My food quick .My nevils h was started 13/11 then läst months 16/8 .im always in a hurry as i constantly have no meds.cheers
Grow Critical Mass with it. You can get 2 crops per haze crop and never run out again.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grey Man View Post

I have a pure haze going on which has been flowering for 5/6 weeks and there is barely a pre-bud on it. I am wondering if she will EVER start flowering. I am also starting to think that it was a mistake growing her indoors. These NH sound positively speedy by comparison... and the 10 week Kali Mist that is sitting next to Mrs. "no-flowers haze" seems like Usain Bolt!!
(Plenty of strawberry in that Kali Mist - and no dog-shit, thankfully.)
My haze went badly indoors too. Outside it did wonderful as did the C99/Haze both which came from Hazy Lady and where excellent. Indoors I had the same problem with no flowers so I put it in total darkness for 3 days. That did the trick.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
My haze went badly indoors too. Outside it did wonderful as did the C99/Haze both which came from Hazy Lady and where excellent. Indoors I had the same problem with no flowers so I put it in total darkness for 3 days. That did the trick.
When I flower pure tropical landraces using a darkroom.... I have them in flower pots outdoors and when about one foot tall I force flowering by putting them in a darkroom for 8/16. I'm not fussy. Some days it might be 10 hours daylight not 8 but I do try to slowly decrease rather than increase. About every 3 or 4 days I leave them in the dark room all day. If they're really stubborn I make sure they never get more than 8 hours light a day for a week and make sure the dark room doesn't leak.

It's the best way I know to flower sativas because you can force the flowering in spring then put them out in full summer sun when they're at peak flowering. To tighten the buds just keep giving them short days or lengthen the days to loosen up the buds. So just to explain fully... each night I put the plants into a dark room and each day I bring them out again. They are in pots that I increase in size as the plant increases. I can control growth through pot size and amount of watering and nutrients. I would move the pots around to follow the sun around the yard so they got continuous sun while they were out of the dark room. I tried to choose cloudy or wet days for the days I put them in the dark room all day. Zero mould because you can put a fan or/and heater in the dark room to dry the plants each night if they're wet and keep air circulation going at night. It's my favourite method of growing cannabis.

On really stubborn Highland Thai landraces it would take about one month using the above method although some plants often flip after only two weeks.

You need a safe house obviously and I am no longer in a position to use this method and I realise most people won't be able to use it either. Just mentioned it because I thought maybe the light/dark thing might transfer to indoor growing sats under lights? I don't know?

scrubdog

Last edited by scrubdog; 05-13-2014 at 05:22 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubdog View Post
When I flower pure tropical landraces using a darkroom.... I have them in flower pots outdoors and when about one foot tall I force flowering by putting them in a darkroom for 8/16. I'm not fussy. Some days it might be 10 hours daylight not 8 but I do try to slowly decrease rather than increase. About every 3 or 4 days I leave them in the dark room all day. If they're really stubborn I make sure they never get more than 8 hours light a day for a week and make sure the dark room doesn't leak.

It's the best way I know to flower sativas because you can force the flowering in spring then put them out in full summer sun when they're at peak flowering. To tighten the buds just keep giving them short days or lengthen the days to loosen up the buds. So just to explain fully... each night I put the plants into a dark room and each day I bring them out again. They are in pots that I increase in size as the plant increases. I can control growth through pot size and amount of watering and nutrients. I would move the pots around to follow the sun around the yard so they got continuous sun while they were out of the dark room. I tried to choose cloudy or wet days for the days I put them in the dark room all day. Zero mould because you can put a fan or/and heater in the dark room to dry the plants each night if they're wet and keep air circulation going at night. It's my favourite method of growing cannabis.

On really stubborn Highland Thai landraces it would take about one month using the above method although some plants often flip after only two weeks.

You need a safe house obviously and I am no longer in a position to use this method and I realise most people won't be able to use it either. Just mentioned it because I thought maybe the light/dark thing might transfer to indoor growing sats under lights? I don't know?

scrubdog
I have been "by-handing" for years (yes, I know the name is shit. We are farmers, not marketeers!) I usually start them off indoors, with an indoor crop. As the plants start flowering and go outside or into the greenhouse the indoor plants expand into the, now vacated, space. It is a very efficient way of maximising indoor space. It also means that you don't need to start the plant off by hand, so you save a few weeks of putting it into and out of the shed (specially adapted, of course..)

The trouble with this haze plant is that it didn't like the temp differences we get here between day and night and just stopped. Everything. So I thought I'd try her indoors instead (new cutting, from seed mother, of course.) If we were always hot or always cold it may have been better but we are getting hot days and cold nights right now and the shed doesn't retain heat. I suppose I could have used a heater at night but I prefer to find plants that fit my environment than trying to make my environment fit the plant...it's far cheaper!

I will try putting stubborn girl into the dark-room for 24 hours and see if that kicks her into gear.

I may have to abandon this mother on practicality grounds. Bring on the Nev's Hazes (the long flowering Kali Mists are lovely anyway, all Jasmine, Detergent and a sweet spicy undertone that any Kali smokers will recognise anywhere - I didn't get poo in any of my phenos.)
Old 05-13-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grey Man View Post
(the long flowering Kali Mists are lovely anyway, all Jasmine, Detergent and a sweet spicy undertone that any Kali smokers will recognise anywhere - I didn't get poo in any of my phenos.)
I nearly went with Kali Mist from Serious instead of MNS hazes. It's the one strain I've always wanted to grow but just never got around to getting the seeds. I've always heard good things about it.

Is it very strong? I've heard it tastes and smells lovely although apparently the old version was better than the new one.

scrubdog
Old 05-13-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:

scrubdog
hi scrubdog
really interreting technik to force sativa to flower, i always put few landraces i purchased my self in my sativa indoor garden,and many time (specilay with asian gen) they dont want to enter in flowering ,sometimes it took few months for they exihb start of flower........

thank you scrubdog

peace
Old 05-13-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I nearly went with Kali Mist from Serious instead of MNS hazes. It's the one strain I've always wanted to grow but just never got around to getting the seeds. I've always heard good things about it.

Is it very strong? I've heard it tastes and smells lovely although apparently the old version was better than the new one.

scrubdog
i grew kali mist many times, its really a good sativa dom, not the best taste and smell but its ok,huge yielder, really close to nl5/haze.i ve a friend who find an exeptionnal Kali pheno in a " Y " seed packet

peace
Old 05-13-2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:

scrubdog
yes, when cured it is a lovely sativa. It lasts for a good 4 hours and if you don't let her go too long then the high is fantastically clear.

It is very energetic and happy - even euphoric (sometimes) - there is a pheno which tastes of yellow (to me) or lemongrass (to others) (I know - how can something taste yellow, but there you go - it does) which is positively electric.

I don't agree with La R.V. about the flavour. I think it smells and tastes fantastic. Both in flower and "in the jar."
The flavours are sativa all the way, so they are, perhaps, more delicate than your skunks but they are more perfumed, too. The phenos are fascinating, though, because almost ALL of the plants have a certain "Kali Mist" flavour, which is spicy/funky (and sometimes very sweet) but they each have a different something else on top, so you can get combinations like Strawberry/Spice, Bubblegum/Spice, Lemon/Spice, Lemongrass (yellow)/Spice, Vanilla/Spice, Jasmine/Spice and Detergent/Spice. There are probably more but I haven't grown it enough times yet (I'm aiming for about a million times.)

I am actually shocked that LRV doesn't think much of the flavour or smell but one thing I will say about the smell/flavour and that is that you can really dampen it or even kill it with either a high level of nutes or by bagging it up before it is cured (a bit like Chronic) - perhaps this is why LRV doesn't like it or compares it to NL5/Haze - which can be a little dull sometimes. (I'm not knocking LRV - he seems like a great grower but I just can't understand it otherwise.) I suppose some plant just get on better with some people's methods, others with others...

The yields range from "fine, worth it" to "really rather good show", even "great" sometimes.

There is a phenotype which is short of stature, it just doesn't stretch like the others. This one is shorter flowering (approx. 10 weeks) and smells sweeter (bubblegum and strawberry) than the others. It's buds are slightly harder, too, so I guess it has more of that 10% Afghani showing up in it. This is the one to focus on for shorter-season outdoor, practical or commercial reasons as it still has the same high (or very similar, anyway..) There are some much longer flowering phenotypes which crop up now and again and can be fantastic. The average phenotype is about 12-13 weeks, I think.

There have been 3 versions. I only grew the last 2 but I smoked the first enough times to remember it. The second version (now thankfully gone) was the worst. I actually think that the latest version is the best. The taste is not quite the same as the original but the high of the lemongrass one is just really really lovely. I think that people always want what they can't have. Things seem a little better once you can't get them anymore. There will be an element of rivals' marketing going on there, too... It is the latest version that has one most awards, by a long long way.

You must treat it well but it is a fine plant. Really good for pheno hunting. It is easily up there with SSH or Mango Haze but perhaps more on the sativa tip that either of those. Not stupid-super strong like Neville's Haze but easily strong enough and beautifully balanced. Far far easier to grow.

The high has a real South-east Asian side to it but is more laid-back than Thai, like Central American sativas can be. Perhaps that is why Rastas love it - the world is a much happier place AND you still have the energy to go fishing. - Do you remember the old days when Jamaican weed didn't all have skunk in it?

Last edited by The Grey Man; 05-13-2014 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:36 PM

Interesting they need such long nights to initiate flowering .
Chang Mai is very close to the Tropic of Cancer .

ATM the days are only 13 hours long increasing to just over 13 at the Solstice . But the Winter solstice [full bloom ] they get only 10 hours of light so there`s a hint .

The high land stuff from Switzerland you grew Scrub is way different to the Thai weed most of us know . I saw a "Thai" male that looked very Yunanesque to me . ie A plant some where between an Indica and a Sativa . Nothing like the tall flimsy Thai Stik types .

Thailand is a big country with lots of different ethnic groups in different regions . So even Hi Land and Low Land could have many different variations .
Old 06-05-2014, 06:10 PM

Default I'm alive!

Man jail is not fun. Low thread count, unpalatable cuisine, inhospitable staff, out of style apparel... Not to mention all the detergent sniffing and plooking that goes on. Anywho, my twelve week Neville 's was the shit, my 16 weeker is not that sexy. "Crappy Thai" says my wifey pooh. I concur. I wish I would have cloned the 12weeker. It was just like the cough(90's nl5haze)