Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 5. Strain Base > Neville's Haze

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 09:12 AM

Default Rainforest Neville haze

Everybody told me that you can't grow Neville Haze at 52 degrees South so of course I had to give it a go. I've been growing landrace sativas for over 30 years but never this far south before so it was all a big experiment really to try NH under extreme situations.

I should explain that in slightly warmer latitudes I've found pure sativas to be tough as old boots, virtually grow anywhere and 100% mould resistant. I've always read in bewilderment all these people on the internet saying don't overfeed sativas and that they're sensitive to nitrogen etc. I've always found sats to be voracious feeders that ate everything I threw at them. I've also grown them in atrocious conditions (like swamps) where indicas just go mouldy and die.

So I wasn't really expecting much drama from Nev Haze as I've always considered it a crippled sativa that's been kicked in the kneecaps by Northern lights.... but I've never grown it before.

So this has been a big learning experience for me.

scrubdog
Old 05-19-2013, 09:44 AM

Default Temperature Sensitive

I will be uploading photos to this thread but I also want to talk about what I'm learning about growing Neville Haze outdoors because it's nothing at all like I expected.

One thing I have learnt is that Neville Haze is a very challenging plant to grow once you get it away from the equator. Probably the most "technical" strain that I've ever grown and I've grown a lot of Hazes and Haze crosses over the years but nothing as temperamental as Neville Haze. In fact I've always found Hazes to be very forgiving in terms of environment.

Neville Haze is very temperature sensitive. It likes it the hotter the better and it stops growing when temps get too cold. Please note that this particularly means ground temps as well as air temps. Also when the temp drops and NH stops then it also becomes much more prone to disease.

That was my first mistake with Neville Haze. I planted too early... when I planted everything else. All my other cannabis strains, skunks, landraces and indicas took off in the spring no problem at all but all 18 NH got about one foot high and just sat there... and sat there... and sat there... then one by one they all slowly died. I kid you not. Identical everything to all the other strains that were doing fine. Every single NH plant died and only the NH... though I did have Ace Malawi start going yellow until the ground temp warmed up a bit.

I blamed stale seed and it is a testament to the integrity of Shantibaba that he replaced the seed without drama or question. In retrospect now that I have a tiny bit more experience with the strain... I'm actually thinking it may well have been my fault for planting too early.

All I know is that by the time the replacement seed arrived the ground had warmed up and the new seed gave me no problems at all though the phenotype exhibited by Neville Haze is nothing like I expected.

scrubdog
Old 05-19-2013, 10:05 AM

Default Fat Leaves

The first thing that threw me about the Nev Haze was the fat leaves. I was expecting thin sativa leaflets. Thai is usually thin leaves, as is Columbian and Kerala has very thin leaves. Fat leaves could theoretically only come from the Mexican or the Northern Lights and that did not impress me at all. I'm very wary of any plant sold as a sativa if it has fat leaves. There are plenty of landrace sativas that do have fat leaves actually but all the Hazes I've grown and the early photos of NH from the old days had thin leaves....

.... so I was immediately suspicious. The growth pattern was really weird too. The plants just didn't stretch the way I'd expect for a 75% sativa with the sort of pedigree that Nev Haze is meant to have. I was expecting a wild stretchy super vigorous plant. Nev Haze is not like that... at least in comparison to a real Thai plant and at my latitude.

I've been growing a long time and using seedbanks a long time so I'm very cynical about seedbanks and their marketing hype. To me Nev Haze looked like just one more of the billion Dutch hybrids that are a sativa crossed with an indica. Call them whatever fancy name you like but 95% of the billion worked strains out there are nothing fancier than an indica, usually an Afghani but sometimes a Kush... crossed with a sativa... usually Thai.

So I gave three Nev haze plants prime spots in my garden because of all the hype I'd read and because I felt that after the way Shanti had looked after me with the seed then it was only fair that I gave the strain a decent run before I passed judgement.

So don't start flaming me for being honest about my initial opinions on Neville Haze. I call a spade a spade and from the moment I popped the seeds I couldn't see what all the fuss was about. Very tricky plant to grow which always screams inbreeding to me. I was preparing myself to be dissappointed from day one because I grow some very exotic strains and Nev Haze looked very blah to me.

scrubdog
Old 05-19-2013, 10:23 AM

Default My Garden

My garden is a seed crop clandestinally planted deep in a rainforest where if it isn't raining... then it either just finished or is just about to pour down. I'm trying to seed the Nev Haze with a giant landrace Mango Thai male from The Real seed Co.

I made the mistake of thinking my sativas (and the Nev Haze) would be mould resistant because I've always found pure sativas that come from monsoon countries (like SE Asia) to be 100% mould resistant. Ha ha that'll teach me to be such a knowall.

I lost 97% of my plants to mould this year and that includes 90% of the landrace pure Thai plants. Most of the plants were over ten feet high with trunks as thick as a coke can when mould wiped them out in just two nights.

So all I have left is Nev Haze females, two Mango Thai males and a bunch of Mango Thai females. Oh yeah I've been calling this Thai strain Red Hair Thai in another thread and in my gallery but I have since found out that due to a seed mixup (not by me) it is in fact Mango Thai.... whatever the hell that is.

The garden... those are all Neville Haze in foreground and the tall male at back and tall female on right edge are Mango Thai.

I apologise for the quality of the photos I'm about to upload but they were all taken in the rain on a day that was very dark and gloomy so it was impossible to get enough light to take a decent photo.

scrubdog
Old 05-19-2013, 10:36 AM

Default Mould, mould and more mould...

Well I've got grey fungus and white fungus and black fungus and sooty fungus... I've got stem rot and bud rot and rots I didn't know existed...

Stem rot

Neville Haze bud rot

... more Neville Haze bud rot

My big bushy Nev Haze two months older than the other two...

.... look closely and you can see the bud rot and mould right through the bush... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

A ripe Highland Lao X Thai82 landrace bud destroyed by mould....

So it's going to be a miracle if I get any seed.... this season has been an absolute nightmare and it was our driest summer on record... hate to see what a wet summer is like at this latitude...

scrubdog
Old 05-19-2013, 10:45 AM

Default Welcome To My World

Welcome to my world....

That's a Neville Haze next to the bamboo stake and that's my big mama Mango Thai female at the rear. Believe it or not but that Mango is only about two weeks older than the Nev Haze and look at the size difference...

I've found Nev Haze to be a very sedate plant to grow, tricky but not at all wild and stretchy compared to my Thai lines. Still this is my first ever grow with Nev Haze and I reckon you need to grow a strain for years before you really get to know it properly...

So I've got a long way to go yet with the Nev Haze...

... and I'll leave it at that for now.

scrubdog
Old 05-19-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubdog View Post
Everybody told me that you can't grow Neville Haze at 52 degrees South so of course I had to give it a go. I've been growing landrace sativas for over 30 years but never this far south before so it was all a big experiment really to try NH under extreme situations.
Hi scrub,
I believe NH is recommended outdoors within 10' of the equator, having grown 50% haze varieties outdoors and later green houses to finish up at approximately 40 N I have experienced similar issues with bud rot. She is recommended indoors for all others do to pretty much exactly what you're describing here in this thread though there are other factors to consider depending on the part of the world you're in.

So I am not sure anyone should bash you for your contributions but in fact thank you for adding to the overall body of knowledge concerning this and other lines. Though its a shame whenever something you've put your heart and soul into for months simply does not come into fruition. But from your post I am gathering you may have had an idea this was a possible outcome?

Basic community rules for the Mr Nice Seedbank forum
http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/1-about-w...ank-forum.html
Old 05-19-2013, 11:22 AM

hey man i suggest you sstart using silicates to control mold and bud rot probs

i would ammend soil with horsetail, and then make a horsetail tea to foliar feed 3 days on 3 days off

that should help alot with the PM probs

also, congrats on having some big bras balls to grow what others deem impossible

bless up

Old 05-19-2013, 11:57 AM

Question To much shade?

Nevilles Haze does better in the tropics if exposed to sun the entire day without a break until sun down is how I grow NH with amazing results.

I experienced mold like you in similar situation when first started growing NH, and find it a very aggressive plant.

Spray your plants with Organocide every two weeks, skipping the last month before harvest will help control some mold spores and any mildew from moist damp conditions.

There is not one variety on the planet that is not susceptible to mold, not one.

Nevilles haze is the most powerful variety I have ever experienced, and recommend it highly to anyone aprehensive about it, very worth the time and effort.

peace,

rb
Old 05-19-2013, 12:21 PM

that's a shame.

'tis better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.

I like planting in the brush too.
One thing I've learnt is that when the plants (i.e.shrubs and weeds) around the dope plants have gone way past their prime is;
they die.

All one can do is hope and love.Nature takes it's course,with or without one's consent.

Sorry to see that scrubdog,hopefully you got a few more tricks up your sleeve.