Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 5. Strain Base > Neville's Haze

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 12:44 PM

Default Damn shame

Sorry about the plants scrubdog. It sucks when you see all of your time and effort rot away.

I usually treat my seedlings with one asprin, 325mg, dissolved in a gallon of water. The asprin works systemically in the plant to fight disease.

You can also spray copper hydroxide solution, sulfur as well to fight fungus.

http://www.benthamscience.com/ccb/sa...-3/0003CCB.pdf

Also imidcloprid (synthetic nicotine) works systemically to fight fungus and disease.

Just sharing some methods I have learned to help the plants fight fungus and disease.

Hope this helps, and thank you for sharing your experiences, good or bad!

All the best,

CM

Last edited by Critical MASSiah; 05-19-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:59 PM

whens the frost hit yall down their? I'm between 40-45 N and I've seen frost in september usally not till the beginning of October though. I don't dare go outside with even a 10 week strain up here it just won't finish before the frost.
but you could do a nevilles haze up here if you had a light proof shed put her in a pot put her in at the same time every night and take her out every morning so she only gets 12 hours of light a day but it just seems like more work then its worth too me.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resinbud View Post
Nevilles Haze does better in the tropics if exposed to sun the entire day without a break until sun down is how I grow NH with amazing results.

I experienced mold like you in similar situation when first started growing NH, and find it a very aggressive plant.

Spray your plants with Organocide every two weeks, skipping the last month before harvest will help control some mold spores and any mildew from moist damp conditions.

There is not one variety on the planet that is not susceptible to mold, not one.

Nevilles haze is the most powerful variety I have ever experienced, and recommend it highly to anyone aprehensive about it, very worth the time and effort.

peace,

rb

hey brother

i normally would not disagree with you on many things cannabis, but i have to say that after several encounters and at several locations, both indoors and out, z7, at least la sanadora, the 1 to 1 pheno, is quite mold resistant. at least in europe.

maybe this new herb of shanti just breaks the mold?
sorry for the pun

bless up

Old 05-19-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessE View Post
Hi scrub,
I believe NH is recommended outdoors within 10' of the equator, having grown 50% haze varieties outdoors and later green houses to finish up at approximately 40 N I have experienced similar issues with bud rot. She is recommended indoors for all others do to pretty much exactly what you're describing here in this thread though there are other factors to consider depending on the part of the world you're in.

So I am not sure anyone should bash you for your contributions but in fact thank you for adding to the overall body of knowledge concerning this and other lines. Though its a shame whenever something you've put your heart and soul into for months simply does not come into fruition. But from your post I am gathering you may have had an idea this was a possible outcome?
Thanks for the support. Yes I certainly don't blame the genetics. Shantibaba has always been quite honest that NH is a very fussy plant outside the tropics and I have nobody to blame but myself.

It should be noted though that this is my biggest failure ever. I've grown landrace Thais and sativas my entire life at latitudes where they theoretically should fail. My own worked Thai line had fully ripe buds but mold ruined them.

The secret is micro-climate. Outdoor guerilla growers will understand my predicament. New location and didn't have time to suss it out properly and monitor sun movement like I usually do.

I'm very pleased actually because I probably learnt more this season than any other season and now I have a challenge. I find growing weed incredibly boring unless stuff like this happens.

Now I'm absolutely committed to ripening Nev Haze at my latitude outdoors just to prove it can be done. I bid till I was broke on the NH spring cleaning auction but lost...

I've become quite interested in this Nev haze strain and I'm really looking forward to ripping the genetics apart to see what is really in there.

scrubdog
Old 05-19-2013, 06:53 PM

Default Neville haze genetics

I know that everybody loves pictures but I just want to talk about what I've learnt about NH so far in case it helps other people wanting to try NH outdoors. When I did this grow I found very little info on growing NH outdoors.

First of all I absolutely did not believe that NH was a 75% sativa when I started growing it. It might be a wild stretchy plant in an indoor grow compared to the other closet strains but outdoors NH is a very tame plant compared to my Thais. It was the most blah looking strain that I grew this year. Looked just like any other 50/50 hybrid to me.

It wasn't till late in the season when all the hybrids were in full flower (two months ago!!!) and Nev Haze hadn't even pre flowered yet.... that's when I started getting interested because it became increasingly obvious that the NH really does have tropical genes.

Now I can tell that it is the real deal and Shanti has been totally honest about the genetics.... so now the plant excites me and i'm looking forward to working with it and already thinking about what I'll do different next time.

The bottom line is that I've completely changed my mind about Nev haze... which is why I'm using it as my seed plant.

If I can get NH XMT seed at all this season... then the year has actually been a resounding success because that's all I was after in the first place. Everything else was just experimental mucking around to test new locations.

scrubdog
Old 05-19-2013, 07:09 PM

Default Some Outdoor Tips

Just some general tips for outdoor growers who may want to benefit from what I've learnt this year.

My big mistake was location, location, location. I usually search for sun traps that are sheltered from the wind because my big sativas always get top heavy and either topple over or break branches in high wind.

What I learnt is that my usual approach just doesn't work this far south. A sun trap this far south is actually a frost trap duh!! The lack of wind means that the cold air settles at my little clearings and the ground stays colder longer.

Worst of all... the lack of wind means fungus spores have a real party with my plants. It's also a very tricky location because as you all know the sun changes it's arc over summer so that a spot that has full sun in spring may have no sun in autumn... just due to the way the land lies in this area.

On that subject... it isn't as easy as many people think. The sunniest spots are the first spots the cops check with their helicopters and the spots that all the dope thieves look for. They just follow the sun. The more exposed, the higher up the land you are, the more sun... then the easier it is to spot a crop from the air and I've been busted by helicopters twice already.

It's a very tricky compromise choosing a location as any guerilla grower can tell you and we tend to adapt our plants to the location rather than the other way around.

Next season air movement will be my number one criteria and I'm going to try and get up higher in the mountains instead of planting in the hollows and valleys like I've always done before.

This calls for a real extreme hard out grow and I'm already looking forward to the challenge.

scrubdog
Old 05-19-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical MASSiah View Post
Sorry about the plants scrubdog. It sucks when you see all of your time and effort rot away.

I usually treat my seedlings with one asprin, 325mg, dissolved in a gallon of water. The asprin works systemically in the plant to fight disease.

You can also spray copper hydroxide solution, sulfur as well to fight fungus.

http://www.benthamscience.com/ccb/sa...-3/0003CCB.pdf

Also imidcloprid (synthetic nicotine) works systemically to fight fungus and disease.

Just sharing some methods I have learned to help the plants fight fungus and disease.

Hope this helps, and thank you for sharing your experiences, good or bad!

All the best,

CM
I never spray my plants. Well.... once before I grew in a very wet location (worse than this actually) and needed seed bad so I sprayed the whole crop with systemic fungicide all season and never got any mould... but I only kept the seed and dumped all the plant material.

I don't even use foliar feed sprays because I want my buds totally free of any contamination.

This season has made me think seriously about safe organic sprays. Is there such a thing as a "safe" organic spray that helps fight mold?

Has anybody tried copper sprays... and if so... does that make the plant unsafe to smoke? I really, really would prefer no sprays though. It's a big hassle and another extra chore and more junk to cart around deep in a jungle.

scrubdog
Old 05-20-2013, 12:25 AM

Default Neville Haze Bud

Neville Haze bud outdoors. I'm really intrigued by these tight looking buds. I was expecting a much looser sativa bud structure but my understanding is that as flowering progresses NH develops loose sativa buds anyway.

These plants were nothing much to look at until they started flowering but now I'm starting to see a whole different side to the plant and I really like what I see so far.

Neville Haze plants in foreground...

scrubdog
Old 05-20-2013, 12:59 AM

Hey scrubdog,
Cheers for all the info on NH outdoors at your latitude. I also have a similar passion for outdoor sativas. I am guessing that we are in a similar part of the world though I am at 37 South so stand a better chance with outdoor sativas. Having said that my ACE Panama Red were a week away from finishing and the heaven's opened after the driest summer in a long, long time and they were hit with a little bit of mould. We managed to save the plants though and are just in the process of curing the final product. I can't wait to sample it. I guess even the sturdiest plants have susceptibility to mould especially when the temps drop below the 'comfort zone'.
Keep up the good work.
The Flea.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:29 AM

Default Panama Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flea View Post
Hey scrubdog,
Cheers for all the info on NH outdoors at your latitude. I also have a similar passion for outdoor sativas. I am guessing that we are in a similar part of the world though I am at 37 South so stand a better chance with outdoor sativas. Having said that my ACE Panama Red were a week away from finishing and the heaven's opened after the driest summer in a long, long time and they were hit with a little bit of mould. We managed to save the plants though and are just in the process of curing the final product. I can't wait to sample it. I guess even the sturdiest plants have susceptibility to mould especially when the temps drop below the 'comfort zone'.
Keep up the good work.
The Flea.
What do you think of the panama red? You should do the Malawi, it's ferocious. Really gets mold bad though. Was the first strain to get wiped out this season. It's got a kick like a horse. I managed to finish one plant out of 30 and it turned purple and blew my head off. Wish I'd photographed it but I had to harvest it in the middle of a rainstorm. Really wanted to cross it with Nev haze. Both strains are arguably the two most potent worked sativas available from any seedbank.... so I thought that crossing them would be dynamite.

Ace Malawi

scrubdog