Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 5. Strain Base > Neville's Haze

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 09:56 AM

Default Northern Lights in Neville's Haze

I need a history lesson. This question has probably been asked before, but what were the reasons Neville chose Northern Lights to the Haze vs. other Indica strains that I imagine were around and available to him?
Old 06-06-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDogDad View Post
I need a history lesson. This question has probably been asked before, but what were the reasons Neville chose Northern Lights to the Haze vs. other Indica strains that I imagine were around and available to him?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevil View Post
The cat piss smell associated with Haze is the result of inbreeding to the Haze. Inbreeding to siblings or half siblings, is less damaging than inbreeding to the same Haze plant.
NL5 was somewhat neutral in smell and when crossed with the Haze, it expressed the various genotypes behind the Haze very well. I have grown large numbers of NL5HzA and NL5HzC plants from seed. Considering that the HzA male was dead, I could only use it's daughters to put back to HzC.

This single inbreeding to the 1969 haze males exponentially increased the amount of cat piss types in the progeny, but still allowed a useful percentage of truly superior plants to shine through.
The average age of the NH grand parents is about 40. I don't believe that this can be said about anybody else's lines. They are more inbred, hence the cat piss.
I have a dream that a real Haze brother will contact me and tell me that he still has well preserved seeds from the 60's. Failing that, the '97 NH seeds offer the best hope for future hybrids.
N.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:50 AM

The NL5 used in Nevilles haze is non-dominant but adds resination and yield.

Thats how I understand it anyways.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:27 PM
Banned

Any idea why Nev wanted to use '97 NH seeds as opposed to the current NH on offer?

Surely as the same parents are used the year the seeds were made would make no difference?

Peace
Old 08-31-2012, 03:05 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piff Rhys Jones View Post
Any idea why Nev wanted to use '97 NH seeds as opposed to the current NH on offer?

Surely as the same parents are used the year the seeds were made would make no difference?

Peace
I imagine there would be a difference in germination rates?
Old 08-31-2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by L33t View Post
A question regarding the Grail, is there a particular reason you want to use '97NH and not freshly made NH seed ? Shanti said the NH parents never changed since NH was first made. So is there any specific reason other than the fact that the '97 seed stock was made by you and also since really old needs to get popped before its too old and unusable.
At the very least, it does make for some good symmetry The Haze beans were popped in the mid 80s after a 15ish year wait inside a plastic baggie...

ESS

I worry about things like genetic drift in cuttings. I have seen a lot of cuttings fade to pale shadows of their former selves over time. I don't have evidence that this effects the progeny, but if I can avoid the risk, I will. I know that '97 batch well, no problem there, I made them myself.
Sometimes, mistakes are forever.
N.
https://www.mrnice.nl/forum/4-talk-s...html#post58748

Old 08-31-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks for putting that together Ouchie. I don't seem to mince words, but I'm trying to make a point. It's probably safe to say that all the '69 haze plants that sprouted are now dead. The Nevil's Haze is only one step removed from that and this makes the NH the best source of Haze I can find. There are a few interesting Hazes in th U.S. and I'm waiting impatiently for this years crop to come in, to see what's out there. The U.S. Purple Haze and hybrids might be the best we can do along the lines of a Haze backcross.

Outcrosses to the NH will not pose a problem, there are plenty of directions to go.
N.
https://www.mrnice.nl/forum/4-talk-s...html#post65672

Old 09-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Banned

Thanks for finding those posts blackberry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevil
It's probably safe to say that all the '69
haze plants that sprouted are now dead
I am confused by this. Is Haze C not a '69 haze plant?
Old 09-02-2012, 01:15 AM

well I heard rumors Nevil didnt even have old seed. Yeah that's right. A complete farse on his(Nevil) part.

In fact I heard all the seed he has used for his grail are all f1's shanti made and sent to Nevil 3 years ago, along with mango haze f1's.

don't believe a word Nevil says to be honest. His grails are being made using the same exact mns Nevil and Mango haze that you all can order right now.

germ rates would be terrible for one on those old seeds, but Nevil didn't think we'd note that either .... I have 50 90's SSH beans and so far not one out of 20 has cracked. But Nevil must have had a miracle stash under a rock, the same rock Andy Dufrane used at the end of shawshank redemption. LoL

point is, Nevil is full of shit. No offense Nevil but you are and you know it.

As for the Northern Lights selected ... it allows the haze to express itself in its truest most unalterated form.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:18 AM

I'm just going to say this one more time for any of you who missed it then I'm going to leave it alone as I come to the forum for enjoyment and learning not to stir the pot.

Nevil didn't use any of his own "old seed" ... and if you believe that he did, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.

Shanti sent Nevil all of the Mango and Nevil haze that Nevil is currently working with ... end of story.

here's something to discuss ..

How about seeing if we can get Shanti to release a fem'd or cubed version of the NL5HazeA

Now there's something to get my taste buds watered up.