Who likes chili.

I live in northern Minnesota. The last three summers the deer ate all my chili peppers. Not 1 made it.

Just got done disc'ing and rototilling the garden area a few hours ago.
Glad I don't have to do that by hand...yuk...so much better to be in air conditioned tractor with an air ride seat...beer in the cup holder, feet on the dash.
Unfortunately I do have to lay out the rows and plant seed by hand, but the soil is like fluffy love right now. You can push your fingers straight down about 14-16 inches, just the way I like it.
Le Garden massif en route.
I run one of these..
in 72" width, cannot more highly recommend, it kicks ass.

Did you know that the chiliplant of the last picture is now 3 years old? I still have dried peppers of it.
All it gets is water from my aquarium which is EC 0,3. But I did repot it.

Thanks CannaFish we had a blinder of a season with chillies they just kept coming. Had many harvests like this. We smoked some dried some and made a lot of sauce!

Good choice in smoking them. I smoked a big crop of a c. baccatum. I think the variety was carnival. Long like the Peruvian lemon drop variety. It was really good and the smoked flakes lasts for years and years.

Good choice in smoking them. I smoked a big crop of a c. baccatum. I think the variety was carnival. Long like the Peruvian lemon drop variety. It was really good and the smoked flakes lasts for years and years.
The flakes are great chuck em in everything not much though the heat can sneak up and bite! The purple ones have a almost sweet mango flavour until the heat takes over!

The flakes are great chuck em in everything not much though the heat can sneak up and bite! The purple ones have a almost sweet mango flavour until the heat takes over!

I don't really appreciate the long burn of most capsicum anuums, the chiltépin is just about right heat wise and length of burn. Nothing beats that smell of roasted hatch chiles though.

The c. chinense have amazing flavors and there's plenty that are not ultra hot. The yellow scotch bonnets are a favorite. the sauce from those are great.

The c. baccatums are awesome flavors too.

I don't really appreciate the long burn of most capsicum anuums, the chiltépin is just about right heat wise and length of burn. Nothing beats that smell of roasted hatch chiles though.

The c. chinense have amazing flavors and there's plenty that are not ultra hot. The yellow scotch bonnets are a favorite. the sauce from those are great.

The c. baccatums are awesome flavors too.
Good to know. I’ve been experimenting with different ones for sauce and haven’t made one I’m quite happy with I’ll try the Scotch Bonnets on their own.

I make homemade salsa, or pico from the garden fresh. I like a combo of cayenne/thai chillis about same heat, and jalepeno's for taste. Though my dumb self did eat a trinidad scorpion once. Once...Never again...I though cause I eat food with the ghost pepper I could handle it. I DID NOT do well at all...lmao.

Fish and fish love the pics. Nice pepper harvest...Ns

View attachment 45502
View attachment 45503

Not sure if vlad is still lurking around here or not but I was hoping one of you nightshade wizards might know something about this tomato. Or what might be this tomato. I'm not sure. And I don't have any photos of a ripe one.

I've grown 5 varieties from this place and all of them looked stable, tasted great and matched their description. Except this one. About half looked like what you would expect and the other half had these upright branches and the plants were very narrow. I figured the narrow ones were the correct ones and the others were an accident. A few stuck on your finger or you sneezed at the factory and some seeds got mixed up. Oh well. A freebie mix. Cool. Turns out the bigger plants were the best tomatoes I've ever tasted. Or seen. Or broken off the vine. Outstanding. Some looked so good the only word I could think of is Fibonacci. Shoulders were the same height and width. More chiseled than rounded. Little collar / crown things were same thickness, length, width, etc. Made this "blick" sound when you plucked it it off of the vine. Sometimes there would be a tiny piece of stem still attached. And it tasted better than it looked. They never split when every other plant did. Some had cracks around the shoulders but they healed and kept growing. Tall too. Both types. And recently I noticed that when there is a hard freeze they drop off of the plant. No cracks or splits and they feel a little mushy but still firm towards the core. When the narrow ones right next to it has gooey, melting tomatoes. I just know the packet they came from. I bought a couple more packs about a month ago and it's the same lot #.

On the left are the narrow ones.

red2.jpg

side.jpg

Here's the narrow ones...

red5.jpg

And here's the regular ones...

red1.jpg

red3.jpg

red6.jpg

red7.jpg

Attachments

• red82.jpg
    red82.jpg
    960.4 KB · Views: 1
I'm a chilli head🌶️🌶️🌶️ I always grow chillis I actually live to gro everything.
But my second secret happy is growing rare lemon and orange trees from seeds I have now 3healthy 4year old plant they should start flowering this year and 2 I try to save them after a crazy spider might attack.

Back