Hortivision cmh-R

Vlad the Inhaler

Hope everyone is well.
Anyone using these red spectrum CMH?
I picked up a couple to use with some Philips 3k regular CMH globes.
I had seen them for a while, but thought they would throw a pigmant similar to HPS.
I don't really trust Kelvin ratings, because they seem to be up to the manufacture.
When they fired up the other day I was really happy that they throw the same white sunlight like pigmant of my regular globes.
Gardening with them is great, because the plants are so easy to observe.
Screenshot_20201112_185235.jpgScreenshot_20201112_185155.jpg
If anyone was wondering, these globes are worth a look.

##hortivision 3k on top and R on bottom.

Last edited:
Vlad I burn the cmh’s as well. I used dim and nano 630 the 3k and 4K of philips. I wear some glasses in there because they throw off some uv and ir rays, great for gardening bad for eyes skin. I recommend the bulbs to all. Very powerful not too hot and low on electric. Makes the dank herb.

Hope everyone is well.
Anyone using these red spectrum CMH?
I picked up a couple to use with some Philips 3k regular CMH globes.
I had seen them for a while, but thought they would throw a pigmant similar to HPS.
I don't really trust Kelvin ratings, because they seem to be up to the manufacture.
When they fired up the other day I was really happy that they throw the same white sunlight like pigmant of my regular globes.
Gardening with them is great, because the plants are so easy to observe.
View attachment 47111View attachment 47112
If anyone was wondering, these globes are worth a look.

##hortivision 3k on top and R on bottom.
that graph looks like its meant t bu hung w/ the HLG650r boards. the graphs look like they compliment each other.

Update for day 43.
The plants under the 3k kept apical dominance and went about 5-10% taller than the others. Very symetrical.
The crew under the R globes mutated a bit and one or two of the laterals got semi dominant.
Looks like the R might yield about 10+% from here and trichome development looks about equal at this point signal-2020-12-22-174125.jpgsignal-2020-12-22-174602.jpg.

Last edited:
The donut of green.

IMG_20201228_174356.jpg
When I got my first two CMH they were sunstorm with horizontal reflecters.
This was before they had released the de630.
I found the reflecters to be impractical.
Excellent finish and quality but they concentrate the ppf way too much in a 2'*2' square under the globe and poor ppf out to 3'.
They tended to burn stuff underneath, and moving them further out just weakened their density on the periphery.
I tried the vertical sunstorm and almost the exact same light spread.

They would both best be used on a robot arm or used interspaced with 600w DE hps units.
They don't suit being used alone in a team, as the canopy coverage is too variable.

I used the 30" old school reflecters in veg and found them to be really good
No hotspots.
IMG_20201228_174249.jpg

49 days

IMG_20201228_174319.jpg

I worked out to run 5 or 6 buckets in a donut, with the lamp running down in the canopy. ( In pics you can see the globe )
The tops of the plant actually up inside the 30" reflecter.
The space in the middle allows light to penetrate down into plants.

It is kind of like vertical gardening.
With all the tops running around the edge, they are all 12" directly from the globe
The globe sits down in the canopy and the light is directed laterally, just like a vert garden.

IMG_20201228_181225.jpg

Under the R-globe, the space in centre is filled with secondary dominant branches.

The donut of green method works well for me because there is no way I could grow 5-6 buckets this size with a 300w light above and set horizontally.

3"315w units shit on my hi-par 1000w DE with Phillips' green master.
All that unit ever did was cooked my stuff.

Running one unit per 44"*44"is cool too.
The colas are all evenly bathed in high quality light, but the room doesn't heat up with the space between stations.
I don't need CO2 either, as there is not too high a total plant density.
The light are run in serial, so the plants get a little bit of crossover from their neighbours' light.

The reflecters need trimming daily in strech.
I have only just raised them above the tops level today.
At day 49 I don't want them foxtailing.

Three days around 40° in last week, and not a single hair singed from heat.

This donut of green/D.O.G.setup would really suit mango and angel heart I reckon, the phenos that grow cylindrical with little lateral development.

Last edited:
signal-2021-01-11-170301.jpg
signal-2021-01-11-172535.jpgsignal-2021-01-11-170023.jpg

The pheno under the red light tended to throw secondary cola.
The rack behind is 10cm rungs.
All these plants are the same cut, and all @ day 63

signal-2021-01-11-170714.jpgsignal-2021-01-11-171017.jpgosignal-2021-01-11-171253.jpg

The pheno grown under the 3k tended to carry more weight in the cola and crown.

I'm not actually sure which pheno will yield more, and both seem to be equal in trichome development.
The R globes would probably suit a screen more, but with a SOG I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.

I think I'll swap them in and out in next bloom, rather than run one or the other. Just got to work out sequence.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Back