bb247's first run ever!----SHARK SHOCK

bb247

How's it going fam! I am happy to report a minor victory during my first ever run. The minor victory is that I didn't kill too many of them!

Planted 38 beans, 36 sprouted, and I killed 3 (by accident).

I'm working in a 4x4x7, soil, one-gallon fabric pots, with what I hope is a solid nutrient line. Without further ado, below are some recent photos of the run.

Approximately four weeks after sprouting:

group shot
oRYAgRU.jpg

phat leaves!
gbI7LLx.jpg

thin leaves!
KtmMUVn.jpg

Where they are today:

YpJLOBI.jpg

I borrowed my buddy's light... 700 watts of LED brilliance. Here that is:
LEcrwAK.jpg

I'll update this thread as progress is made. Many thanks to this entire community, and especially to Shanti---awesome genes!

Last edited:
As you may have seen, some of these youngins got a bit of nutrient burn (early on I left the house for 24 hours without leaving them sufficient water)and some are undergoing transplant stress. They're probably also undergoing some stress from the light upgrade.. I hope to curtail that soon!

Nutes I'll be using this run:

-canna terra vega & canna terra flora
-terpinator
-rock resinator
-nectar for the gods: herculean harvest (liquid bone meal)
-mammoth p
-and an organic tea from my local hydroponics store

I haven't started giving them nutes yet as I'm currently letting the FoxFarm Ocean Forest take care of that.

All advice is welcome! Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Looking great bb.
You seem to be approaching your first grow with a respectable amount of preparation and attention to detail.
Right on.

Subbing in to see what you find in that big seed pool.

Stay Hazed,
Jake

Jake, thanks mate!

I should also mention that I am working on getting 12 COBs up instead of the current fixture.. I just need to finish building them first. Should be done within the week...

Also, the big light on them now has only been on for about a week. Before that they were on an 18" T5.

blowingupjake said:
Subbing in to see what you find in that big seed pool.
I'm excited for what'll show. :)

Immediate plan: will finish my COB fixture asap and then top at the 5th node (compromise between the 4th and 6th). I don't want to run out of room in the tent so the flip is right around the corner..

Last edited:
Its great to see you getting into this with such enthusiasm. I dont mean to put a downer on things but just dont overdo it. I bet you could use half the additives you have listed and still get excellent results. Do your research. With a few of those additives you are basically doubling up on the same thing. From what I recall rock resinator has a few banned ingredients in it and I would definately not be using that. Use your base nutrients with mammoth p and brew your own tea with fulvic acid as an organic addition. Bloom boosters are a waste of money full stop. Dont believe the crap they tell you at the hydro store...
COBs are the go for sure. Dont mess with that blurple spectrum it will only end in tears. At least supplement it with a white addition to limit shock as you change from one light to another. Blurple was an ill conceived concept that never achieved what it claimed.
Good luck with the shark shock. I have 16 seedlings of it powering along atm waiting for the angel hearts to move over. Ill be excited to see what you find.

I will do my homework on this one, Prof. JJ. Thanks for the words. :)

I got my nutrients ideas from a grower on YouTube that taught me a lot of I know about DIY COB lighting. List and YouTube channel shown below:
1uDdETg.png

Banned ingredients: right! I see the terpinator has some selenium and some arsenic.. I read that the new edition of terpinator avoids these metals. I'll do my homework here too.

I appreciate the expertise and thanks again.

Great work bb! I like your approach and your execution. Shark was a perfect choice. Keep us updated if you would. Good vibrations braddah.

Aloha
M

Ahh the mau5, he is the guy that got me into leds. Really opened up my eyes to their potential. As far as the nutrient programs go... he had a great example recently that echos what i am saying. He put the new Millennium line which has an additive and a booster for everyday of the week (and costs a fortune) up against jacks 321 which is a powdered program with no bells and whistles. In the end the yields from each line were virtually identical. There are definitely gains to be made with tailoring a nutrient program but they come from you understanding the intricacies of the biological systems that you wish to stumulate and how/when/what to use to achieve this. The most useful and underutilized additives IMO are kelp, fulvic acid and microbes. If you know where to look you can buy or in the case of microbes brew your own relatively cheaply when compared to hydro shop magic formulas. A little bit of research goes a very long way...

Prof JJ,

Hmmm I will research these these things well in time. I would eventually like to dial-in my favorite mother plants in the years to come. I think I would like to try an organic route when that day comes. Are there any readings you would recommend, for learning some relevant botany?

I'll check out the nutrient side-by-side---I think I saw this video earlier but didn't end up clicking on on it. Will have to check it out.

I'm very excited for my COB build to be finished. It has been many months in the making and should be a very good light when completed ;-)

Last edited:
@musashi SS is the bomb so far, and I haven't even smoked it. But I am already looking forward to opening 2-3 more packs! Definitely doing part of the MKS family.

Hey bb

If you are interested in going organic down the road check out a book called Teaming with Microbes. That is a great piece of literature that will teach you all about the soil food web and how to feed your soil so that it can then feed your plants(so to speak)

The SS Kids are looking nice. Keep up the good work.

Stay Hazed,
Jake

https://manicbotanix.com
This is one of the best hydroponic/indoor growing resources on the net IMO. The authors are passionate, well practiced and educated. Articles are loaded with scientific explanations, equations and citations. Their writings are geared towards the intelligent do it yourself gardener that seeks a more complete understanding. If you don't consider yourself to be an intelligent gardener you certainly will be well on your way if you spend the time reading and apply the information contained within this site. There is a wealth of knowledge and understanding to be found within.
Pure gold...

Yo BB, just remembered you were the one asking for suggestions for a first time grower awhile back. Great choice, shark is soo easy to grow and the end product is very nice. Your really killing it man :cool:

Subbed

https://manicbotanix.com
This is one of the best hydroponic/indoor growing resources on the net IMO. The authors are passionate, well practiced and educated. Articles are loaded with scientific explanations, equations and citations. Their writings are geared towards the intelligent do it yourself gardener that seeks a more complete understanding. If you don't consider yourself to be an intelligent gardener you certainly will be well on your way if you spend the time reading and apply the information contained within this site. There is a wealth of knowledge and understanding to be found within.
Pure gold...

Thanks for giving out these links prof.jj, always good sources and good advice.

keep it up brother.

No problem Mr T, so much mis information and crap in this game, usually spread by those trying to make a dollar. Its always good to share sources of factual scientific, cited data...
There are also lots of white papers on every aspect of plant biology and the effects of nutrition, lighting stimulants etc..I see it as time well spent taking the time to track down and absorb these sources of information.
More power to us
bb247 how are these sharks looking now, don't keep us hanging...

Hey all, sorry to keep you hanging. They're looking good! I'm just one afternoon from finishing my light build. Right now the sharks are in late veg. I axed a bunch of plants earlier today but based on preflowers. I think I've got 16 or 17 girls out of 33 beans.... And some of them are little monsters!! I'm gonna veg the girls for about a week once I finish my light.

Photos soon!

Some updates

I can finally update with some real progress. My lights are almost mountable! They will be mounted later today unless I have severe disruptions to my work.

xpQIuJJ.jpg

wqxZLY4.jpg

Count update: I think I have 18 plants in the 4x4 room, 16 showing pistils, and 2 are probable males.

When the lights do go up, I'll keep on using the blurple light I have been using while ramping up the light intensity on my COB build over 3 days. After a few days of exclusive 3000K white light, I will switch the photoperiod.

Always lit,
bb247

Back