Confused about who really has which skunk #1

thx mate...:D

Steve of spice of life's island ....has great collection on hd ....sweet skunk ....aha

Last edited:
I think chimera is a bit overpriced though.

Spice of Life Island?
Not really sure what that is.

Can someone enlighten me?

Kind of like Frost Brothers with Brothers Grimm back then? Got a hold of leftover stock and took it from there?

I was looking into several Spice of Life strains and wanted to get quite a few of them but didn't take a fancy to the breeders building on Steve's work @SoL (like Jordan of the Islands, Bohdi and others) and wasn't willing to pay full retail on 15 year old beans.
So I turned my back on SoL stock.

But the strains themselves were among the ones that interested me the most. If Spice of Life would still be operating today and putting out fresh seeds, I would have gotten several of their strains for sure.

The Sweet Skunk I got from Mike have SoL Sweet Skunk in them though.

Last edited:
Spice of life Island sweet skunk I think he is referring to.
I have run some of JOTI's strains and been happy with the results. His blueberry is reported to be excellent but that was not my experience with it.

Ah so you were referring to the strain.

Wasn't aware that SoL was called "Island" Sweet Skunk.
Thought it was just called sweet skunk.

Have Peakseeds version and am stoked about running it in the future.

JotI has tickled my fancy several times, especially because I have seen his gear on sale here or there for less then 4 bucks a seed which is competitive enough imho to give someone a chance.

Didn't pull the trigger ultimately because I heard more recent reports with less excitement.

Maybe some time in the future.

The original skunk comes from the Netherlands in the late 70's.
It wasn't named after the animal but a mix of ska and punk and initially it wasn't weed either, but a song from a cult band.

In 1980 there was also an album released called skunk with this -locally- famous song on it;
Nederwiet

After that it became a habbit to call nederwiet skunk, which then became a generic name for nederwiet.
That was a few years before Sam arrived in the Netherlands.
Skunk#1 of course comes from him, because he called it first.
Original skunk means so many different things to different people it doesn't mean that much.

Skunk pheno's are very interesting though; it seems they are only found in area's where skunks live.
We know cannabis is capable of mimicking other smells like mango so why not skunk smell as well?

skunkWC.jpg

Thankyou for that history Bubbleblower, it is always interesting to learn about the origin of something.
Broseidon, JOTI's strains have won quite a few awards over the years and I have also read many good reviews. He definitely has some great old school goodness in his vault. His strains that I have grown were all vigorous and high yeilding as well as having great aesthetic appeal. His chemo is reported to be phenomenal. I still have several of his strains in the bank and will get to them hopefully soon but whilst I keep jagging winners with MNS I'll keep walking down that road.

Yeah I feel ya.

Really curious on whether I will be growing much of any of the other strains at all with the MNS looking so great ...

The Critical Mass in my current run are far and beyond all the other plants.
The seedlings were all quite abused when I transplanted them into veg because they had been sitting on the window sill for almost a month and there was basically no light outside during that period.
Lost a bunch of seedlings and the rest looked quite droopy, sad and abused.

But not the CM seedlings. I lost one of them because a worm got into the solo cup and I suppose it was either him or the seedling cuz the worm survived but the seedling died xD

But the other CM seedlings are the only ones who developed a defined leaf structure and something resembling fan leaves.
Very impressed so far.

Gonna give a more thurrough report once they had some time to veg but if it continues like that, I guess there really is no reason to grow anything but MNS :D

The original skunk comes from the Netherlands in the late 70's.
It wasn't named after the animal but a mix of ska and punk and initially it wasn't weed either, but a song from a cult band.

In 1980 there was also an album released called skunk with this -locally- famous song on it;
Nederwiet

After that it became a habbit to call nederwiet skunk, which then became a generic name for nederwiet.
That was a few years before Sam arrived in the Netherlands.
Skunk#1 of course comes from him, because he called it first.
Original skunk means so many different things to different people it doesn't mean that much.

Skunk pheno's are very interesting though; it seems they are only found in area's where skunks live.
We know cannabis is capable of mimicking other smells like mango so why not skunk smell as well?

skunkWC.jpg

This isn't serious is it..... This may be the craziest post I have ever read on a cannabis forum .

^^^bubbleblower doesn't see things like everyone else ;). Grains of salt may be in order. But who really knows the story? besides, unless those seeds were in a vault all this time there has been lots of generations between then and now. Without diligent work, they are going to be different at the very least.

This isn't serious is it..... This may be the craziest post I have ever read on a cannabis forum .

Trust me, I am always serious when it comes to these kind of things;
https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skunk_(Doe_Maar)

"The title is a combination of ska and punk , which referred to the music of the group.
In addition, it's the name of a variety cultivated in the Netherlands; Nederwiet, which is a song on the album."

“De titel is een combinatie van ska en punk, waarmee de muziek van de groep werd aangeduid.
Daarnaast is het de naam van een in Nederland gekweekte marihuanavariëteit; nederwiet, dat in een nummer op het album wordt bezongen.”

I'm more inclined to believe the west coast US as origin ;) but since this was 30+ years ago those have been mated and remated many times.... gonna be different no matter what

Hey, thanks for the response Bubbleblower, thank you for not taking that the wrong way, I certainly mean no offense. That is an interesting tale, Personally I would be leaning towards what Plantmanbee says , as that is the story I have heard, but really ... Who knows the true story, I'm sure someone does, but they aren't answering internet questions

i do remember those times in holland, i smoked that shit (nederwiet) what they called - before skunk arrived to the masses - and believe me those 2 - nederwiet and skunk, have zero in common, this wiki is just plain wrong when its about genetic herritage, as the best stuff money could buy in holland has always been hash .. nobody gave a shit about weed, until the beginning of the 90s, when skunk arrived to the masses, it was the game changer from hash to weed, as weed was more expansive and btw more better than the best hash and as a plus it could be produced below any hps .. great...

nederwiet on the other hand is stalks, leafs, somthimes seeds and maybe 5 calyxes within 5 grams of "green" .. yeah, its from the plant cannabis, but has more in common with rope - strains than with flower or resin strains .. nope

Skunk1

The reason I am chiming in is that I am sick of irresponsible breeding and handling of this plant. The US west coast is the right answer for the origination of skunk 1, 2, and 3 which only #1 sweet skunk exists numbers 2 and 3 were the roadkill skunks. David Watson (Sam the skunkman) got the seeds from the Haze brothers who's name was not haze and they were not brothers. This is where Watson got all of his seeds including what was sold to Nevil. It has been said that Watson sold out to the DEA as it is funny he was the one to get the one and only license to breed for GW Pharma shortly after his arrival in the Netherlands which was right after the bust of Sacred Seeds from Santa Cruz California's first seedbank. Sam the Skunkman is a snitch. He (Sam the skunkman) is not a breeder because he is not good for the plant and all the seeds and breeding was handed to him! His new adventure with Monsanto and Uruguay should confirm what scum he is and always has been. Sick with Shit or Nordle.

A bit more of my rant.

Be aware that there will be three strains available in Uruguay. A low, medium and high THC level strains engineered (I won't say bred) by a combined effort between Monsanto and David Watson Hortapharm (AKA Sam the Skunkman) from the old days. One of my greatest fears is for people to start genetically modifying a plant that we barley have a clue to the magic held within. I am unhappy with the irresponsible breeding that is being done today. Too much breeding of hybrids to hybrids to hybrids we are losing some of the benefit from pure terpenes. If we continue to mix all the strains of cannabis together without keeping the original landraces in existence we will lose greatly. We must continue to made hybrids responsibly using landraces and some hybrids but understand we are just about to start to understand how much of a part the terpenes play in the therapeutics effect of cannabis. I think we will find that the terpenes are going to be the answer in personalizing a stain to an illness and more so an individual patient because of the slightly different body chemistry we all have.

Last edited:
I don't know....and neither do these other guys

TIME!!! unless someone has EVIDENCE this is all guessing. Why do you believe Sam is a scum? Why do you believe Skunk is ska-punk? Why don't I think you guys know any more than me? I wasn't there, you weren't there and we're all telling stories we were told by someone else ;)

Back