Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Medicinal plants > 9. Patients forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2008, 11:14 PM

Default claw like leaves?.

on the left of picture an ak48 has some claw like leaves at the top think it equals 3 or 4 watering's ago.

any suggestions on what did it?.

soil grow, bio-bizz, 2 x 400w agrow hps's, RH high 65/70 low 50, temp 78/80 ON 60/63 off.

thank's............................#.............. ..
Old 04-26-2008, 11:28 PM

Has happened to me and I was told that it is caused by overwatering.So be careful of that.I have found that the leaves will stay that way even after you get things sorted out again.Hope this helps Shogirl
Old 04-27-2008, 04:26 AM

Its too much nitrogen that gives you the claw. Possibly overwatering as well, but ime its always too much N.

What biobizz stuff are you using. Also it might be good to alternate 2 waterings with fertilizer and one with plain water.

Shogirl is is right that they usually don't correct, although the problem might be fixed you're usually stuck w/the claw.

Be safe

A
Old 04-27-2008, 07:55 AM

thank you both for your replies!.

only the ak48 went like this, they just didnt like it?.

bio-bizz = biogrow for veg and now bio grow, bloom and topmax on 12/12. this is first time i have used bio-bizz products.

thanks...........................#................ .....

Last edited by "#"; 04-27-2008 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:08 AM

Hey '#',

I agree with Alaska its due to high N dose . The 'affected' leaves usually recover if they are not too much 'clawed' already , if they are , they will stay this way even if they yellow. Depends on how early you take measures. If I see leaves like that I either flush or stop N completely for 1 or 2 weeks and they usually recover. Some strains have their leaves go glossy/very reflective before they start to show nute burn signs , others dont go glossy they just curl like in your case. It depends , generally sativas show more easy these curled leaves and they don't necessarily go through the 'glossy stage', while indicas' leaves generally become glossy and then they show burned tips , they generally don't show as much curling . So for me the rule of thumb says sativas shouldn't be allowed to go too glossy as this is not a good sign in my opinion. By genetics they generally dont have as hardy/glossy leaves compared to indicas . Hybrids can be left to go curly without as much negative effect on yields.

Usually this curling occurs from high peaks of N concentration in the medium and is usually happening more often when using liquid ferts where the N concentration changes a lot within a short period of time. For sativas a constant supply of N is more preferred , this can be achieved by using slow release ferts . Personally I like liquid ferts better , although one needs to be more careful with liquid ferts and you need to monitor plants' reactions more closely.

I had one of my AK48 plants do this to me so I d say its the variety that is a bit picky when too much N is given during early-mid flowering (grew them along with many other different varieties). If you don't cut N the yields will suffer quite a lot , so feed the affected plant/s with water for the next watering or you can flush them now just to be worry-free..and you can start to feed again in a week or two .

BioBizz ferts are not very strong compared to other liquid fertilizers , I think you just had a picky plant. Its ok to have one or two plant show overfert signs as long as the majority of the population in your garden is healthy. Just make sure you treat the 'picky' plants separately and they will be fine.

Good luck and keep us updated !

Last edited by L33t; 04-27-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:13 PM

Default PH???

Class:Calibrate ph meters! Possible nuet intake problem when ph is not on the money. That late in the cycle even .3 error in ph can all but STOP growth. I almost lost one whole harvest from calibrating my meter incorrectly.

I SAY "Plant a seed Today"
Old 04-27-2008, 01:22 PM

thanks for the advice peep's.

my ph mtr is a cheap ph and moisture.

it looks like box on top with mtr and two slim rods "1 for ph and 1 for moisture" that are pushed into soil!.

allways read's 6.8 - 7

thank's..........................#................ .........
Old 04-27-2008, 02:05 PM

Default Digital Meters

Save some pennies up and go digital! I saw some readings in some of my first few grows that I did not like.
-Moisture effect on readings.
-Depth of probes effect on readings.
-Temp. of soil and room temp. (probe temp- Do Not touch!)

Go digital and still be aware of these factors.

"This site Rules" knowledge is power!

Good Growing and Smoking to all!