Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Medicinal plants > 9. Patients forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2011, 01:56 PM

an issue i ran into yesterday that could have got me busted...

i have a lft-10 from green air products.
i ran it with four magnetic ballasts with no problems for 5 months.

ive been running 2 galaxy ballasts on it now for almost 2 months.
one day onebulb wasnt on. thought the bulb burnt out.
replaced it and still nothing. so then i thought maybe the ballast.
switched lamp cords from ballasts and realized it was not the ballast.
so it was somewhere in the lft-10. i rewired the wires to different input/outputs, and everything was working again. i contacted the store and let them know there is a problem, but need to keep using it untill the crop is done, then ill send it in. as long as it keeps working from here on out.

i had set the ballasts on timers, so it shuts them off at 11:55 to 12:05 both am and pm. the flipper was set to change over at 12. hoped this would take the load off when its switching, then the ballasts would turn on.

well it has a mechanical timer, and it must not be too precise (accurate) because before it would flip at 12:01 or 12:03, but this time it did not flip over until the power to the ballasts cam back online.

the lights in the room that just turned off came back on, so i reached over to advance the timer. when it clicked over, spark, flame, panic...

when i bought it, i asked if it was compatible with electronic ballasts. they said it is, its switching the ballast output to the bulb, so it doesnt matter if you are running 120/240 or electric, magnetic coil, should be fine. there was no users manual, and i asked for one, but i guess i figured its self explanatory. i did want one in case there were any special disclaimers, like DO NOT USE WITTH ELECTRONIC BALLASTS

turns out they need to upgrade the relays for use with digitals, i learned the hard way.
it should be on its way to them and they are taking care of it, im also having a digital timer installed instead.

if i wasnt there, the house could have burnt down!
same thing probably happened with the first circuit that went out.
now i feel pretty lucky

if anyone has a lft-10 from green air products, in service with digitals, make sure it has been updated, otherwise dont do it. i believe they install the proper relays now from the factory. mine was purchased 9-03-10
Old 08-18-2011, 02:47 PM

"...turns out they need to upgrade the relays for use with digitals, i learned the hard way.
it should be on its way to them and they are taking care of it, im also having a digital timer installed instead..."

Are you sure about this?

Because one of the merits of electronic ballasts is the "soft start" feature which draws less amperage when starts and then increases as bulb heats up to operational temperature.

This SAVES relays, based on my experience with digital ballasts (4 years without a single problem, 6 units).

Loose, corroded and dirty contacts are the main cause of failure most times.

Best,

Ojo
Old 08-18-2011, 08:16 PM

well, that may be the difference, the ballasts are already running when the relays shift the load. i dont really see what the difference is between the electricity going to the same bulb, whether it came from electronic or magnetic, you would think they are feeding the bulb the same.
but, they told me they had to upgrade the relays to be used with electronic ballasts.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack hairy View Post
well, that may be the difference, the ballasts are already running when the relays shift the load. i dont really see what the difference is between the electricity going to the same bulb, whether it came from electronic or magnetic, you would think they are feeding the bulb the same.
but, they told me they had to upgrade the relays to be used with electronic ballasts.
I think it has something to do with the frequency output of the ballasts. 60Hz conventional vs 20KHz Digital. It's kinda like how microwaves emit a high power high frequency signal that gets food molecules vibrating faster and faster until whatever you have is cooked.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:14 PM

I've run a Lumatek for a few years now- the purple one with the super lumens switch.

I never use the super lumen thingy, I figure bulbs work best at the correct wattage, PAR shifts if you up or down the power (IMO).

I've used sylvania hps and some cheap chinese MH.

No problems except the MH flicker a little in a way that might indicate HF resonance. They work ok though. I should prolly use better branded MH bulbs.

Less RF interference than my old mag ballast that I can detect, no issues anyway.

Runs nice and cool, hardly any noise.

I've still got my old mag ballast just in case.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:24 PM

10K huh? Be interesting to play around with one of those.