Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Medicinal plants > 9. Patients forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 03:39 AM
EnglishSpringerSpaniel

Default Cleaning and Resin Removal for the Volcano Vaporizer

I'll have to throw up some pics in a few days when I get ahold of a camera again. However, it's worth getting the info up for people to try out in the meantime, so here goes. First of all, you'll need a few additional supplies in addition to resin-soaked Volcano parts:

-Some quantity of already-vaporized weed. Preferably something that has been done two to four times in the 6-7 temperature range. Light brown color is fine, dark brown color is still good to use, but if you've already blackened the stuff at the highest temps I'd wait and use stuff that was done at lower temps.

-A small plastic spoon/knife to scrape. It needs to be able to fit inside the valve chamber (the big metal thing that has the spring around it) with a little room to spare.

-A clean ashtray (preferably glass). This will keep us from making a huge mess and hold our resin-infused material until we pack it up.

-A knife (optional). You don't need it, but it makes certain aspects easier, especially if you have a spoon instead of a smooth-edged knife for your plastic piece (butterknife-style ribbing makes the scraping less precise).

First things first, take your bag/valve assembly, the mouthpiece unit, and the screen/pressing unit for the bowl chamber and disassemble all of them completely. Obviously, you want to put the cone-shaped piece that comes out of the valve chamber with the cone upward Now let's identify the resin spots, starting with the bag/valve piece.

-the top cone screw-in piece on the valve chamber
-the entire inside of the valve chamber (should look like the insides are lacquered)
-the rim at the top of the black plastic piece that houses the valve chamber (the part that is exposed to vapor when the bag is on...it should look shiny and sludgy)

the cone piece- Now here is where a nice sharp smooth-edged knife is really convenient. If you have one, gently run the blade up from the base of the cone to the center point, constantly making your way around the cone until the majority of the sludge has found its way to your blade tip. It should be amber, semi-transluscent goop...if you are a little bit sloppy sometimes about letting plant matter get make its way to the valve chamber, you'll see some of that on the cone sludge too.

If you DON'T have or want to use the knife, you can see if your plastic scraping device will do a good enough job OR you can just dump revaporized weed (referred to as 'revape' from here on out)onto the cone and just grind it around til it's all soaked up by the revape then scrape that off. If you want to do the second way, I'd recommend laying it in an ashtray before dumping the revape onto the piece. You can also do a scrape then a revape dump/scrape if you want to be really extra sure you got everything.

the valve chamber- First, take the chamber itself and run it over the Volcano airjet for about three seconds. This will liquify the sludge a bit, which is to our benefit. Now, take the chamber and place it over the ashtray, and dump revape through the chamber, with your finger plugging the bottom of the chamber so nothing falls through yet. Then give the chamber a few good shakes with both ends closed, and let your finger off the bottom so that the loose stuff can fall through. Now, take your plastic scraping device and scrape away, letting everything you scrap drop into the ashtray. You should be able to look through the chamber to make sure everything is scraped out...don't stop until you get it all, and press firmly when you scrape to make sure you are getting all the resin off.

the top rim of the black plastic piece- This one is quick and easy. Just dump a liberal amount of revape onto it, mash it around a bit, then scrape/wipe it off onto the ashtray. It does almost as good a job as Everclear!

Ok, that was the hard part. Everything else is very easy from here on out.

The Mouthpiece Unit- The sludge on the rim of the metal piece should be readily apparent...just scrape it off with the knife or plastic piece. There is a mild amount of sludge on the inside of the big black piece, and just like the other one, just dump revape onto it, mash it around, and wipe it off. The tiny actual mouthpiece has a little bit of sludge on the inside of it, but it is hard to reach with even a small tool. Your knifetip should get some of it from each end though.

The Screen/Pressing unit from the bowl- The actual screen piece is probably crummy, but we can't harvest any of that. The piece that sits atop the bowl, though, should have some good accessible sludge on both ends. Scrape away with knife or plastic piece. Then the stick piece that connects the actual screen to the top piece also has resin on it, scrape that too.

Now, clean or change your screen, put your stuff back together, then put all that turbocharged weed into the bowl chamber, and enjoy

ESS
Old 01-01-2010, 02:50 PM

Thanks ESS
Hey have you ever used your spent vape product for making edibles. They tend to have that burnt nutty taste but the do get the job done. I only run it only once at a 6.5,but i do use the large Reynold's turkey bags so there is a lot bag to fill.
Vande Braham kul kalankshamanam shree Rambhoopam Priyam.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:35 PM
EnglishSpringerSpaniel

Default pics!

Pictures make the explanation much easier to follow

Your materials

Above the paper towel, you see the knife I was referring to on the left, and the plastic scraping spoon on the right. Now, on the upper row on the paper towel, we have, from left to right:

The large black plastic mouthpiece part
The small black plastic mouthpiece part
The metal mouthpiece part
The screen placeholder for the filling chamber (bowl)
The screen for the filliing chamber
The filling chamber

Bottom row, left to right:

The bolt and washer for the screen
The rod and top piece from the screen/pressing unit for the filling chamber
The valve chamber
The black plastic rimmed piece that holds the valve chamber
The metal cone piece that screws on top of the valve chamber
The blue rubber band that is affixed to the top of the valve chamber
A jar with several grams of pre/re-vaporized bud (you don't need nearly that much)-This stuff should have a pretty powdery texture to it...chunky pieces work too, but they won't cover all the surface area of the resiny parts quite as easily. This is easily fixed by just grinding the chunky parts up with your fingers before using them.

Here's a shot of what I am talking about with the black piece that holds the valve chamber:

Here's a shot after I scraped those flakes into the ashtray for collection, then scraped the rod and top piece of the filling chamber screen and the cone piece from the valve chamber. Notice the large amount of sludge on the knifetip. I then put the cone piece through a treatment similar to the shot above after taking this picture.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:01 PM
EnglishSpringerSpaniel

The valve chamber is best done as a two-part process. First, you want to lightly heat both ends of the valve chamber over top of the Volcano's hot air jet, like this:

Then, you want to take the valve chamber sideways in one hand, with a finger stopping the far end. Put a liberal amount of your revape in there, then close up the other end with another finger, and shake it around a bit. All of this should be done overtop of the ashtray to make sure you collect anything that falls.

Now, take the plastic scraping utensil and, while still over top of the ashtray, scrape against the inner parts of the cylinder and keep dumping what you collect into the ashtray. You can see if you still have more scraping to do by simply looking in the cylinder..the patches with resin still left should be very visible.

I know, it wasn't over an ashtray, but that was actually intended as a sample of the dimensions you'd need for your plastic scraping device, well before I dumped the revape into the chamber.

Now I'd recommend you give everything a light cleaning afterwards with an ethanol solution, but it should be scraped down well enough that there won't be many, if any, errant flakes for you to inhale in case you want to try your stuff right away. The resin will vaporize just fine at the same temperatures you vape your weed at...for me, that's 6 to 6.5 (190-195C). For me, it's a pretty energetic buzz for the first 30 minutes to an hour, and sometmes that lasts through the second and third hours. Some other times, it's an hour of up-up-up mental energy, and then an immediate shift into sleepyness. This probably has something to do with strains, and also probably with how my own body works at different times of day.

Enjoy! And feel free to add any tips that might help someone get more use out of their Volcano

ESS

Last edited by EnglishSpringerSpaniel; 01-07-2010 at 08:02 PM. Reason: wrong pic for the first shot
Old 01-07-2010, 08:09 PM
EnglishSpringerSpaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Siva View Post
Thanks ESS
Hey have you ever used your spent vape product for making edibles. They tend to have that burnt nutty taste but the do get the job done. I only run it only once at a 6.5,but i do use the large Reynold's turkey bags so there is a lot bag to fill.
Reynolds Turkey Bags are the only way to go Only once at 6.5? Maybe our units are different, but for me, I've got another bag of goodness after that if I just crumble up the material in the bowl a little more. You don't even need to raise the temp. Clearly the taste is exquisite in bag 1, but my friends and I have determined that bag 2 has its own unique qualities to add to the high. And the taste should still be very good

As for using the spent stuff as edibles, honestly I just keep beating it up in the vaporizer. The vapor may look thin or nonexistant while it's filling, but you can definitely still feel it, and you can see the vapor when you exhale. I've had friends do the edilbe route...they like do dissolve the spent stuff (referred to in my area as 'revape') in butter, then put that butter in whatever dish they were going to eat.

ESS
Old 05-18-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishSpringerSpaniel View Post
ESS, May I inquire about your filling chamber? It looks deeper and smoother than the one that shipped with my volcano.

I believe I've used a chamber like yours before on a friend's volcano a couple years ago, and I liked how deep it was so the wand insert wouldn't stick out on top of a bowl.

Do you know of any other differences between the chambers or where I could get one like yours?

Thanks
Old 05-21-2011, 12:00 AM
EnglishSpringerSpaniel

Versai, good question! I have a few friends with units newer than mine (got mine in '05) and they all have the filling chamber like you have, with the yellow band around it. They've been issuing that filling chamber for at least the past 3 years...you might want to call Storz and Bickel customer service and see if they have some old ones randomly laying around. You should be able to get a customer service number from their website to talk to someone in your area of the world.

I guess you could always go the eBay route, but I don't know if there would be any brand new ones on there. Be sure to look for the phrase 'OEM' when you buy, because you def want these parts from the original equipment manufacturer.

ESS
Old 05-23-2011, 05:19 AM

salt and rubbing alcohol
Old 05-23-2011, 07:06 AM
fishy

Tks for that ESS. Have you discovered a way to get the fixed screen in the bottom of the filling chamber without wrecking it though? The chamber has a groove that the bottom screen fits into and the screen is therefore slightly larger than the chamber. I have the chamber with the yellow O ring around it but I assume your chamber is much the same. I usually butcher the screen a bit getting the bugger in.

Just a heads up about Storz & Bickel. Make quite sure they they have your current address because they are sloppy with that, and they will send stuff to an address that is many years old as they did with me even though I sent them my current addy with my order. They confirm your order & addy by sending you a proforma invoice by attachment which many (like I did) might miss. They sent three seperate lots of screens to my old address even though I gave it to them with the initial order, and again after the first lot didn't show! They don't read follow up emails I'm guessing? Worse, they were willing to let me pay for their mistake (vis the postage) when they finally got my addy right & sent the screens by Fed Ex, but I realised what went wrong & refused to pay them. In other words...S & B used the address they had on record for me (which they kept without asking me) rather than the one I sent with my order, and in follow emails!? Not good. Gotta love the Volcano though!