Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Medicinal plants > 9. Patients forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2019, 10:21 PM

Default Do you know anyone who kicked opiate addiction with cannabis?

Unfortunately Iím addicted to opiates and have been using them daily for 20 years.
Iíve been on methadone and now suboxone.
Iím on a very low dose but itís still addictive.

Do you know someone that was able to stop opiates completely and now use cannabis for pain or no longer need anything?
If so what strains did they use?

Iím not a big fan of cannabis.

I have had strains that helped with back and leg pain but at same time I felt energized and creative.
Unfortunately the person I got it from didnít know what it was except it was medical from a legal state.
It had a cedar or piney clean flavor and the way it helped pain was by relaxing the muscle tension but what I really liked about it was no cotton mouth and energy level increase with happy mood.It wasnít a knock you down stoner type but more of a energy and creative mood but with immediate effect on deep muscle tension.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:31 AM

I guess that would be me, sort of. The weed isn't what made me kick, it did help a lot once the worst of the withdrawals where gone.

Basically you just got to really want to quit. Methadone was horrible I tried going cold turkey several times and just the lack of sleep and feeling like shit I bitched out a few times. Then I had the brilliant idea of doing heroin for a month because the withdrawals don't last as long, but God damn it was 10 times worse. I still was able to get clean that time about a week into no sleep, barely able to keep any food down and shitting pretty much water, I finally got ahold of some hash and I felt pretty damn good, still withdrawaling but it was nothing after that.

Of course cannabis has always been my #1 drug of choice. Really you just got to be tough and determined, I could have made one phone call and stopped the withdrawals. I pretty much just kept telling myself to not be a bitch. I never got professional help once, most don't have that kind of determination. I'm actually kind of a dick when I talk to junkies because I know what needs to be done, rip that fucking band aid off and stop being a little bitch. Of course most like to be coddled which doesn't really work too good, I know people still in "recovery" 10+ years later I have no respect for them people of course I'm vastly outnumbered. I seen opiates as a weakness then and I still do can't change my mind.

I mean shit it's hard to do took me several tries cold turkey, but if you want to you will get fucking clean. I know I'm glad I went cold turkey, makes you stronger and less likely to relapse cause you know exactly how bad it truly was.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:21 AM

It is important to differentiate between dependence and addiction. While addiction, which as I understand is habit, can be treated with behavioral modification techniques, dependence is another story. Bluntmassa is right, the only way around that is abstinence often going cold turkey. It is a most difficult thing to do, to exercise your will, stand by your commitment and consciously take your life back one day at a time. Make a choice to live today!
I have some friends that have had good success with kratom. It has mu opioid agonist qualities and can help with withdrawal symptoms. It just might help with the dependence. Blessings on your journey braddah.

Aloha
Mu
Old 04-24-2019, 03:24 AM

CBD products in RSO form might help with pain.

Aloha
Mu
Old 04-27-2019, 04:24 PM

I was watching a documentary and in one state where opiate epidemic is highest treatment centers are using cannabis to treat opiate addicts.
They are the first treatment center to have patients using cannabis while there and claim they are having success.
They didnít say what strains they use.
Iíll try sending them an email and maybe they will share what they find works better.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:00 PM

I battled with addiction, not opiates, for a few years, and when I decided to quit I started growing and medicating with cannabis, and the combination of the two really helped a lot kicking the addiction

Although now Iím addicted to gardening lol, the biggest thing is to slowly taper off the pharmaceuticals with the help of your physician and to take it day by day

Look up different types of physiotherapy you can do on your own from home, yoga if you can and meditation and positive thinking and reflection, visualization techniques can be a huge help in staying motivated, every night before you go to bed visualize yourself off the drugs and living your life without the addiction and being happy in doin so

Good luck brother, itís not an easy journey but you can do it
Old 05-04-2019, 12:23 AM

I don't think it will by itself help you kick opiates. But it will definitely help with many of the symptoms of withdrawal. Like lack of appetite, nasua, inability to sleep,cramps.
But you still need the skills to stay clean. Going cold turkey is all good and everything if it works but many don't have the 'skills' to stay clean after. And by then all your bridges are probably already long burned down and it's a grueling uphill climb.
Suboxone can be a lifesaver, but don't try and stay on it for too long. Its different than methadone in you aren't wasted like you are still on heroin but its not cheap ($600 a month) and you have to see a doctor every month and take a piss test. If you are lucky the doctor will still let you smoke pot.Most won't, but some might if you have a longer record of sobriety with hard drugs. It was 14 years ago but i still think any addictive(bad choice of words?!) game can help with staying clean

So after a long winded response i'd say pots a good tool with other methods to help you get off opiates and stay off. I don't think pot is a gateway drug leading you too more opiates.

Hope it all works/worked out for you or your friends or family.

When i got off opiates i started playing World of Warcraft, an online MPORG. It really helped because it kept me home and i got my socializing in. So finding a good game to get wrapped up in with other strangers can really help, it helped me a lot.

Last edited by corners; 05-04-2019 at 12:26 AM.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:11 PM

Around ten years or so ago someone on here turned me on to kratom. Kratom and high CBD strains helped me kick a 15 year habit.

I still use kratom, but at $75 a kilo, it is a very affordable way to keep me off of dope and helps tremendously with my nerve pain and arthritis. It does make high THC strains a little intense, but it has made me really appreciate CBD.

Suboxone and Methadone are a hard kick. Keep weening and supplement with kratom once you get down to a lower dose. I've helped a bunch of people get off of those things since I was turned onto it.

Get off, brother. Life can be so much better. It will take a few weeks to start feeling normal, but it keeps getting better and before long you'll feel amazing.

Good luck.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:19 AM

Hi, Opiates are a hard one. In the end no matter what you use to help you get off it, nothing works. It,s unfortunately all on you and your will power. You just have to want it bad enough. Methadone and Suboxone are helpful in getting you away from having to score drugs and trying to get back to a more normal life. But they are just a Substitute, and are extremely hard to get off due to withdrawals and the biochemical changes, especially with Suboxone. It was introduced as an easier drug to withdraw from, but its not! Its a horrible substance and I've yet to see anyone successfully withdraw from it. I'm sure there are some that have, but your looking at around 12 months or longer till your body adjusts to normal. Methadone is much the same, heroin, morphine and a few others take around 14 days for withdrawals to subside, methadone, depending how long you,ve been on it takes months of continues withdrawal symptoms. It,s hell!! In the end nothing can really stop withdrawal symptoms, except more opiates. Unfortunately the withdrawals are only the first part, as others have said...staying off it is the hardest part.
Getting past the 3 month barrier of staying clean is a big benchmark, as for some reason at around the 3 month mark most relapse. This is true for other Substance abuse, be it alcohol ect.
Having said all this....it can be and has been done! And you can do it!
Sheer determination is the key, and changing patterns in your life, your peer groups ect. Knowing your triggers and how to deal with them.
Pain is a hard one, as you know you can rid that pain in an instant with opiates, and therein is the problem.
But getting off opiates is defiantly worth it. You can beat it!!!
Stay strong man, I know what I've said probably doesn't help any, but just know this...YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!
.........................Terence McKenna..............................
Old 05-07-2019, 06:49 PM

Iím going to give kratom another try.
It does work with pain and withdrawals.
I was able to go a month without using opiates until I kept getting bad kratom.
Maybe now the attention is down and itís not getting seized as much.
Prices went up and quality went down but there was a lot of attention at that time in the media.I found out about kratom on a documentary about wrestlers using it to stop opiate use.