Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Medicinal plants > 9. Patients forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2018, 02:25 AM

Default Can weed trigger manic episodes?

This is sort of an inverse question for this subforum, where cannabis may be the cause of a health problem rather than the solution to one.

My good friend has a brother, 57, who has lived a fairly normal life, from what I can tell, up until a couple months ago. I did some expert witness work for him about 12 years ago and he is the only client in my career who has skunked me, and didn't pay for services rendered. So, as a baseline, his character is lacking IMO. A couple months ago my friend told me that his brother announced he was gay. OK, my brother's gay, no problem with that, but it came out of nowhere and he flew completely under my (and my friend's) gaydar. Then a few weeks later my friend got a phone call from the US consulate in Iceland stating that his brother had been arrested, twice, after leaving an unpaid restaurant tab (sounds familiar) and generally acting like an asshole. He had to fly to Iceland with his brother's best friend to retrieve him and they were met by 3 US customs officials and 6 Massachusetts State Troopers upon return to Boston. His brother had gone into his office with a BB gun and shot the place up, so his firearms were seized as he was deemed a danger to himself and others. Long story short, the dude is completely unhinged, has lost his lucrative finance job, drained his bank account, and pretty much completely fucked up his life. He was checked into a mental health facility and checked himself out 72 hours later. His behavior has been described as a manic episode, and the psych nurses said it usually happens to much younger people.

The dude always has a vape pen at the ready and his family suspect that prolonged high doses of THC may be responsible for his behavior. As a stoner myself, I find this hard to believe, but I recall some people on this forum saying they could not smoke strong Neville's Haze regularly without experiencing unwanted psychotic effects.

Does anyone have experience with something like this that was attributed to cannabis use?
Old 09-06-2018, 03:11 AM

That's sad man... someone's medicine is anothers drug is anothers curse... I can't answer your question but everyone's makeup is different.. lots are allergic and have bad reactions to all sorts of things and cannabis is no different (just saying)
Old 09-06-2018, 05:00 AM

Hey marcus. Sorry to hear about your friends brother.

Can weed cause manic episodes? I was never one to believe all the hype about skitzophrenia and manic episodes caused from cannabis. I generally took it all as heresay.

That was until a family friend had a manic episode. He was a younger bloke and has been smoking since he was 14. Was never one for hard drugs or anything like that. We were working on the same property and one day he woke up and started talking absolute garbage. His brain was ticking at 100km a minute. And was talking the same. Half the time you couldnt follow the conversation. This kept getting progressively worse and eventually hewould stay up all night whispering to himself. I woke up one night and he was about 10 inchs from my face whispering to me, whilst i was asleep. This was over the space of about 5 days

To be honest no one knew what to do. Our thinking was to cut him off from cannabis and give him some time to sort things out. He became progressively worse until the only option was to submit him to the psych ward. Its bloody hard and wouldnt wish it upon my worst enemy, but it had to be done. He was in for a month and a half and eventually everything leveled out. He stayed off cannabis for 9 months but now smokes again.

So to answer the question,in my experience, is yes.

Take it easy

We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master
-Ernest Hemingway