Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Medicinal plants > 9. Patients forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 09:17 PM

Default Pictorial guide for making THCA tinctures for pediatric epilepsy

I would like to share a recent document that was compiled by a colleague of mine, Dave Mapes., from Epsilon Apothecaries. It is a precision guide for making THCA tinctures for treating pediatric seizures and the information is FREE.

EPSILON has been the true backbone of patient-level cannabis research in the medical cannabis industry for nearly a decade. The therapies created by Epsilon have been used successfully in over 170 separate chronic disease/illness cases since 2006. With 11 successful stage III-IV cancer remissions, 7 cancer free successes, and the HIGHEST success rate in the nation against all forms of malignancy...Epsilon therapeutics have long proven their merit against the most dangerous disease mankind has ever known.

In addition, Epsilon research has led the way to developing the nation's HIGHEST success rate in treating both pediatric and adult epilepsy. There are many imitators, but only ONE Epsilon...the safest, most efficacious, most consistent, completely organic system.

Download a free copy here - Epsilon Essentials 2014 edition Volume 1 PDF
Old 02-13-2014, 02:06 AM

Default Thc for kids? No no no.

Giving thc to kids is not ok or necessary. Non psychoactive CBD tinctures are as effective without the negative side effect of a stoned kid. A simple extract of hemp will do the trick. Thankfully my children are healthy, if they weren't I wouldn't give them THC a at all. CBD, I'd not hesitate.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:39 AM

This is a THCA tincture and THCA is NOT psychoactive.

As for the comment re THC, I think any person who states that THC should not be used in pediatric epilepsy is ill-informed and lacking in the basic understanding of cannabinoids and epilepsy. I run a large patient group of kiddies with epilepsy/Dravet's and talk with much experience.

I can say unequivocally that both THCA and CBD work effectively for treating pediatric seizures. Also, in those cases where CBD does not work, THCA may. Conversely, those cases where THCA does not work, CBD may.

With THCA we are getting 85-95% seizure reduction, improved cognitive function, improved fine and motor skills, improved liver panel results, improved behavior, ability to wean off of other AEDs, mood improvement and improved sleep. CBD provides additional health benefits to THCA!

As for THC, it most def has a place in treating pediatric epilepsy, but it requires careful titration and often is combined with either CBD or THCA. But, in saying this, it is the rare case that we would resort to THC if we had THCA and CBD.

You need to understand that dosing levels for THCA tinctures are very very low. I have several toddlers ranging from18 months to 2 years who are getting terrific seizure control using only 2ml of a THCA tincture that has 1gm of THCA in 100ml rectified spirit.

Last edited by Smokin Moose; 02-13-2014 at 02:45 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:13 AM

Default Apothecary standard cannabis tincture

Thank you S.M. for posting the link to this informative and pracitical step-by-step guide for manufacturing a Cannabis tincture at apothecary standard.

Primarily a THCA-tincture they give advice about the activation (=decarboxilation) of the raw Cannabis or the ready tincture. By heating it "in cycles" they get more active THC then heating only one time.

A general question to those with experience in making tinctures: what do you think about Isopropyl alcohol as solvent as it is less polar than Ethanol( "Similia similibus solvuntur") and will take less clorophyl out of the plant material.

Thank you for your time!

grower62
Old 02-13-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grower62 View Post

Primarily a THCA-tincture they give advice about the activation (=decarboxilation) of the raw Cannabis or the ready tincture. By heating it "in cycles" they get more active THC then heating only one time.
In the case of the THCA tinctures, there is no need for heat as you do not want decarboxylated THC, you want the THCA. That is the very purpose the instructions were written for. It is THCA which is being used to control seizures, not THC.

It is important to note that pediatric tinctures for epilepsy using CBD, involve the decarboxylation of CBDA - and of course THCA as these CBD enriched strains all contain low amounts of THCA.

Both THCA and CBD work. That gives two options for clinical managemnent