Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Medicinal plants > 8. After the harvest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2009, 11:02 PM

Default alternatives to flushing? i had to chop early.

Due to an unexpected security risk, I was forced to chop my girls about two weeks early. Because of this, I was unable to flush them. Now I'm worried that all my hard work will taste like crap and smoke poorly. The plants were grown in soil using mostly fish emulsion and seaweed extract. I have a feeling that the unflushed fish emulsion could really ruin it.

Does anybody know of anything I can do to improve the situation?

Thanks,
--DC
Old 08-31-2009, 12:03 AM
jaybutta

Hey there, dcdondro...

Unfortunately, not much you can do about it...your best bet now is a slow dry, followed by an extended period of sweating the buds...sweating, in case you don't know, involves rewetting the bud via high humidity, then letting it dry out again...it takes care of some of the remaining ferts, but not all...sorry dc...jay
Old 08-31-2009, 01:36 AM

I agree with jaybutta let em dry really slowly (~2-3weeks) and cure for at least 3 months before you smoke em, sweating will help a lot as bacteria in the buds will breakdown/eat some of the stuff that are responsible for the bad taste so make sure you do things really slow.

Make sure you dry the entire plants after you chop em (as near the base/soil level as possible). You want the plant to stay alive for as long as possible after its being chopped, as you know plants don't really die for several days after taken down and the cell activities still take place.

Here is something that may sound crazy you could try , you could dry for the first few days in a room with some indirect light from fluros/cfl or even a hps/mh, and this might help the plants metabolize some of the nutes/elements like Nitrogen found in the harvested but still alive plant tissues. Light surely destroys a bit of THC but you wont use strong intensity and I believe it may be worth the loss if its personal stash and want a better taste.I haven't tried it so dont know how good and if this works but makes sense cause when you dry buds with light they use up all the N and the green color goes away.

In the end of the day if it tastes really bad just make it all hash , water or dry sieve extractions work great and so do solvent extractions , alcohol or preferably butane extraction for some really tasty A grade oil.

Last edited by L33t; 08-31-2009 at 03:02 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:56 PM

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the input. I'll definitely give it a nice long drying/sweating process.

Also, what about a water cure, do you guys think that would help? I'm considering it, though if I do, I'm unsure if it would be better to do before or after the drying process.

--DC
Old 09-01-2009, 12:04 AM

I wouldn't really use water curing , better make hash instead , eitherway give the buds a good slow dry/cure and then you can decide if you like the results and you can experiment with water curing but with only small amount bit to see if you like the results.., as far as I m concerned I think watercuring is not good way to 'cure' buds.Water solable terpends will get lost in the water during the proccess so the flavor will not be as good and potency also gets affected imo..
Old 09-01-2009, 12:21 AM
Scorpion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdondro View Post
Due to an unexpected security risk, I was forced to chop my girls about two weeks early. Because of this, I was unable to flush them. Now I'm worried that all my hard work will taste like crap and smoke poorly. The plants were grown in soil using mostly fish emulsion and seaweed extract. I have a feeling that the unflushed fish emulsion could really ruin it.

Does anybody know of anything I can do to improve the situation?

Thanks,
--DC
Dont panic Its Organic
just hangem and dryem
here is your tip...
1 hang to dry until fan leaves snap off
2. do a close manicure
3. now take your manicured flowers and place in a airtight ziplock...
suck out all the air and seal
4. REPEAT #3 until no rise in the bag usually 2-3 days will do it
5. your buds are ready to smoke when they will SNAP free from main stem...

Fire it up