Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Medicinal plants > 8. After the harvest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2009, 02:52 PM

Default Dear Shanti and All..letting plants die...?

Apologies for asking directly, but I saw this quote in another thread and had some questions about it and if possible would like to hear from the "horses mouth" sotospeak (sorry for calling you a horse mate )

Quote:
BTW I always let the plant wilt before harvest , usually leave them 10+days with no water.I remember an old post from Shanti that said to 'kill' sativas ,let them 2 weeks without water before chop n lower the temps to make em ripen faster this way you can finish em couple of weeks earlier

I have a plant (K2 from clone) that is at 6weeks and 2days of flower that is really quite ill. Seemingly she has a calcium defeciency (a bad one) and looks be to on her last legs. I was told to expect this one to go 8 weeks, but, she looks "almost" ready to my overexcited eye with about 40% brown hairs and 20% amber trichs (see photo) I would say one more week not two..especially compared to the PP.

My PP's which are the same age exactly look nothing like as advanced and yet are described as 8 weeks too. This leaves me wondering, is my PP behind? or has my K2 gone into "ripen as fast as I can" mode because shes so ill and degrading so quickly? as seems to be happening to plants that are "forced" to ripen in the quote, is it possible for this process of quick maturation occur naturally if the plant "thinks" its not going to make it full term?

I'll get a pic of her at lights on (2 hours), but here is one from the sick plant guide at IC and mine looks much WORSE than this.

P.S - Don't get me wrong, I would prefer to let her go 2 more weeks and have them all finish together or it's going to be a pain drying them etc. however, if theres a chance the bud will degrade on the plant, I'd sooner get it pulled
Attached Images
File Type: jpg whatpercentage.JPG (45.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 1134calcium-1.jpg (52.0 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Jamie; 04-26-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:48 PM

Yo shoose

She is not dyin, IMO. She just wanted a lil extra calcium a few weeks (days? shit happens faster in coco/hydro) back. It's ok to lose leaves in the last 2 weeks of harvest. Actually if I were growing with chems, I don't think I'd pull a plant that wasn't showing multiple def's. I try to do the same as you quoted, no food for a few weeks (I'm in soil, so some is stored), and letting the plant go very dry in the ~2weeks up to and especially right before harvest. That plant would live for a few more weeks on water alone, judging by that pic. It is probably just a cal hungry strain/cut.

When they die is when all growth/ripening stops, and the leaves droop and wilt in an even grey/orange/deaddookie color from the tips in. The plants look like ASS at that point, not doing anything but smelling like dead houseplant...

I'm strokin the proxy best I can, looking for my dead houseplant pix. Sure was easier when I could go to my gallery, wait for 90 thumbnails to load, rather than re-live the arctic winter. Sittin here in basketball shorts and ... Well just shorts

When I find em, I'll edit in the pic, but your plant looks like it should 2 weeks before chop. Multiple def's starting to show.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:51 PM

mate the pic up there is an example (the leaf one - the macro is of mine )

here's mine...this one is actually in soil too

I just gave her one last dose of feed of 1 comp (I dont have cal or mag specific here, need to fix that asap). the soil ones havent been fed hardly at all, firstly because I have them in pre fed soil, but also becuase when I was supposed to start feeding them about 2 weeks ago, I misread the dose and was giving 0.5ml per liter and not 5ml per liter..

I'll give her just pH'd water now for 3 or 4 days then to get that last bit of nute soaked up and then let her go dry for the last 7-10 days...

thanks for input mate, I really appreciate it... really would be a shame for things to start falling apart at this late stage
Attached Images
File Type: jpg k2.sick.1.JPG (89.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg k2.sick.2.JPG (96.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg k2.sick.3.JPG (81.9 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Jamie; 04-26-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:59 PM

JShizzle, here is what a plant looks like when it is dying in an unhealthy, wilting, not ripening it's sex organs kind of way.

The leaves turn that color, then get super soft and droop, then get crusty. The fans are obvious, but the little bud leaves do it too, and that's where the resin is. They just crumble away, and the plant smells like a houseplant left w/o water for 2 months...

What it looks like to ne is that your plants are finishing up just fine, and could have taken more nutes in the first 5+ weeks OR could have teken them for a week or so longer. I would be interested to see the stages of deficiency of a plant kept healthy for say 5 weeks, then run on straight R/O.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:21 PM

Ooh Dear!

that plant does look a lot more poorly than mine .. I don't have any of that "necrosis" looking leaf droop either, so that's a big relief. Thanks for puttng up the foto mate, much appreciated

Will be interesting to see how much this one decays over the next 2 weeks, though in future I'll be looking to make sure they hit week 5 fully ready to see themselves through til the end